• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Yeah I agree with this. I actually think he'd probably be an option at LCB in certain EL/Cup games. But in the majority of PL games I can't see this guy being an credible option over Gabriel.

I think if you look at the makeup of the squad, and the Nuno rumours, all points to him being primarily a LB, but let's see (if we even get him)...
He could even start EPL games at LCB without much issue. That's the point.

We have overall good size in the team. He could start LCB in EPL against certain teams who don't pose a threat from big attackers. Or we need to break a bus.

This guy wins way more headers than the a bit taller Timber who is his partner currently in Ajax.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Was joking about inflation. But on the eye the back line seems taller at least.
I guessed your choice of words wasn't you straining the point! But you are way off on heights, unless you are specifically talking the Latin and Latin American countries where the trend is probably as you say to a degree. The premier league has definitely got shorter - Arsenal used to have several guys 6"3 and above and that was par for the course.

TinFish

Watching the "Martinez pockets Haaland" video you can see why we would be interested in Lisandro. The game shows Ajax consistently pushed up and Martinez being and partner (Blind?) being able to marshal Ajax's high line with ease, as well as restart play by finding players between the lines.

Looks a good signing, a fourth ball playing center back, with height options in Gabriel and Holding.
I agree, but why no CM to replace Xhaka / Partey when 1 of them gets injured or suspended?

That’s why I hope he transitions to cdm/wing back in the premier league. If he’s the fourth ball playing CB, when we still have holding and Mari yet to sell… then Arteta is stupider than I thought.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
He doesn't play better as a midfielder currently, ask any Ajax fan his best position and everyone will say defence.

Now, whether that's the same in the EPL is totally different, but that's not what you said.
I watched a lot of Ajax games since.the arrive of Edson Álvarez (he is mexican) and I liked him more as midfielder. He was bossing the mid that year as DM and benching Edson. So.i know what I tell you.

Legend14

Established Member
People bringing up Cannavaro, that's 1 CB in the last 20 years... other short CBs I can think of are Alaba/Puyol/Mascherano. All those guys played in dominant teams that very rarely ever had to defend their box, and even then its a handful of players. Not exactly a large sample size to justify a short CB.

I hope we get this lad, and I hope he plays left back for us. He'd get more time on the ball, be allowed to move into central positions, and would have the deal with the physicality as much. There is no shame in playing fullback, especially in the modern game.
Not playing LB. CB or DM. Might as well play Xhaka at LB, they’d both be playing out of position.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Lock this up @A__G
sloth no GIF

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Playing for Barca ahead of Gavi, Pedri, Busquets against the bottom half of la liga (though credit he did smash it against a Real Madrid team who defended like one big collective Mustafi) is a bit different to playing ahead of Partey & Xhaka in the most competitive league in the world. In any event, Auba always bangs for 2-3 years and then starts to lose interest. He also missed a collection of absolute sitters (particularly in the Europa League).
How he did for Barca is largely irrelevant though as he was poor for us bar the Sp**s game.
Yeah, easy for Auba playing in a league that’s won 6 of the last 10 Champions League competitions when the most competitive league in the world have only won 2. Of course the alternative narrative is that he now has a manager that knows how to use him.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
There serious pressure from dutch media on him to chose manutd. really expect him to go there if they make bid. they licking ten hag bald head so hard they pressure Malcia Martinez and Antony to chose utd because of him.

blrgooner

Established Member
Well , statistically, you need to look at "short" CBs who have played at a high level in decent league and for big national teams who have made the move to EPL and have failed due to height for this to need to be an "exception". I have not really seen Martinez play but the height concerns don't sound like arguments you would make for a player who has played champions league and big games for Argentina.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Yeah, easy for Auba playing in a league that’s won 6 of the last 10 Champions League competitions when the most competitive league in the world have only won 2. Of course the alternative narrative is that he now has a manager that knows how to use him.

I'm not sure Real Madrid's European success defines the entire league - but rather the legacy of Franco & repeated state bailouts. If you genuinely believe what you've been written to be true, I'd advise you to look up TV funding distribution in Spain vs the EPL, and the wage and transfer figures of all of La Liga. The worst team in the EPL gets more TV money than all but the top 3 in Spain, and can spend more on wages than half of La Liga etc etc.
I doubt you have seen many of Barca's games under Xavi, because bar maybe 3 of them, Auba is not playing that well.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There serious pressure from dutch media on him to chose manutd. really expect him to go there if they make bid. they licking ten hag bald head so hard they pressure Malcia Martinez and Antony to chose utd because of him.
I can see United jumping in, but they have shown zero intent to get him. We have been bidding for most of the window which means we have been speaking to him and agreeing terms.

I can see the appeal of working with a former manager. Yet he is also a manager who prioritised Timber first. So who knows.

I really hope we get this over the line though as it alleviates the pressure on the club when it comes to their summer business.

Having a Winger and CM left to do isn't the worse thing in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom