• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keplaz

If you've been able to become an International and establish a career as a CB and you're that short, then you can play that position very well.

Players that short rarely get to develop CB as a primary position, they'll try you everywhere else, mostly CDM or as a full back, due to the expectation for CBs to be tall.

If you're playing CB at a top level and you're 5'9 you've had to better than people with a natural height advantage. It means you're likely very good. And have had to be better to get a chance.

I think he'll be a fantastic signing. I also feel Gabriel needs competition. I think at times he's takes it too easy, and knowing he's the only left footed CB, he'll always play if fit. Lisandro isn't coming to not get minutes. And game management with 5 subs will be crucial.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
My ass, people *****ing about White still .. we played some super juicy football last season and have the most exciting young squad in the league by a landslide.
White is a big part as to why we play more fluently, calling him a failure is an absolute joke and an insult to football
So why did we lose 13 games and let in 9 more goals than the season before, almost twice as many as Liverpool.

The Arteta force is strong, I know, but reason has gone from our fans. Signing another small defender is a mistake. It's simple physics when crosses come in. You need to have a good leap, be strong . . and tall. Saliba has those attributes and he has good ball control. Why Arteta left him out last year and bought White for £50m is something other worldly. He should have spent that money on a top midfielder instead of Lokonga.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
So why did we lose 13 games and let in 9 more goals than the season before, almost twice as many as Liverpool.

The Arteta force is strong, I know, but reason has gone from our fans. Signing another small defender is a mistake. It's simple physics when crosses come in. You need to have a good leap, be strong . . and tall. Saliba has those attributes and he has good ball control. Why Arteta left him out last year and bought White for £50m is something other worldly. He should have spent that money on a top midfielder instead of Lokonga.

We didn't concede from set pieces though did we? So defending against crosses wasn't a weakness

Martinez also bossed Halaand despite the height disparity and wins 70+% of aerier duals

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
My ass, people *****ing about White still .. we played some super juicy football last season and have the most exciting young squad in the league by a landslide.
White is a big part as to why we play more fluently, calling him a failure is an absolute joke and an insult to football
Thrash is juicy when is decomposing so yeah, if you mean that by juicy I agree. Our manager stinks!
Harvey Milk Lgbt GIF by GIPHY News

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We didn't concede from set pieces though did we? So defending against crosses wasn't a weakness

Martinez also bossed Halaand despite the height disparity and wins 70+% of aerier duals
Fair enough, but I'm talking about the 48 goals we did let in. What % of those involved some aerial play?

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade

So we are weakening our set pieces because it was too good? Anyway... As I said before, he plays better as DM whether you like it or not. He started there with Ajax and got moved only because I'm Eredvise you can go with it.

Legend14

Established Member

When a cross comes in you need to
1. Be brave
2. Have good judgment
3. Have good timing
4. Be strong enough to hold positioning
5. Have jumping ability

Martinez has all of the above which is why he wins 3/4 of his headers and pushes forwards around.

I don’t see a size case here vs forwards that is valid. He runs through the soft forwards because he is very strong.

If you are tall and you can jump then you have an advantage. For example John Stone would likely beat Martinez on a corner. So maybe an argument could be made for defending tall defenders who can jump on corners.

Legend14

Established Member

Yep, not buying most of the canned height arguments against this player. Aerial duals is one of his strengths.

Legend14

Established Member
Looking at his peformance highlights vs Chelsea where he playing cm and he looks impressive. Looks like the Argentine Dennis Wise.

Start Vieira and Martinez instead Partey and Xhaka.

Still trying to get rid of Partey? Wow.

But yes, he can play DM and I see him as the first sub at that position.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Pretty sure it has been posted before that we got like 11 goals in a few games when White was out of the team.

I also find it to narrow to simply check for goals conceeded, we have been a completely different side last season.
We also dominated several games against big teams and finally deservedly won many of them which havent for years.

How can people argue about that ?
Most of the moaners called for us going for relegation and have been proven to be absolute idiots.
We also played a way better season than Sp**s and deserved to be 4.

It was a massive leap from the season before. It is night and day.

Crazy enough, we did all of this without a real topclass striker.

Last edited:

Goonger

So we are weakening our set pieces because it was too good? Anyway... As I said before, he plays better as DM whether you like it or not. He started there with Ajax and got moved only because I'm Eredvise you can go with it.

He doesn't play better as a midfielder currently, ask any Ajax fan his best position and everyone will say defence.

Now, whether that's the same in the EPL is totally different, but that's not what you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom