• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lisandro Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

There it is again btw, Ajax promising to sell him for a certain amount, for him to extend his contract. Like a hidden buy out clause, this time 50 million euros apparently. I hope not that much.

This is what those selling clubs do to extract money and not lose players for free. People would not renew as easily if they didn't have a way out if they're as good as they think.

Reactions: A_G

drippin

Say we get him and the plan is to use him as an inverted full back in attack, what does that mean exactly? Does it mean we'll play with no width from our full backs? Does it mean we can target a No.10 to play LCM? Someone like Maddison again?

-----Tomiyasu Partey Martinez-----
Saka Ødegaard Maddison Martinelli
----------------Jesus------------------
We have Vieira already for the attacking midfield role. And rumours of Tielemans or such.

No rumours of Maddison. We got Ødegaard cheaper.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Tesco boy is going to be riding the bench.

Depends on where he wants to play, really. That United backline is jokes, lets be honest.

I'll say that Tesco Bags was not as effective as he was at the beginning of Arteta's or at any point of Emery's reign here.

Last edited:

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Pretty much how I see it playing out, Mikel is getting his 50M defender as Pep has done so many times in the past.

Just doesn’t feel like a position on the pitch you’d invest that much money in without planning on using the player regularly. €50m fullback to provide cover for Tierney? Big big doubts on that one.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Just doesn’t feel like a position on the pitch you’d invest that much money in without planning on using the player regularly. €50m fullback to provide cover for Tierney? Big big doubts on that one.

Yeah he'll probably replace Tierney and fill in for Gabriel when needed, I wouldn't worry about him at CB at all, by all accounts he's a top player and he's a signing you make to help future-proof positions. Tierney can't be relied on unfortunately.

drippin

I'm talking hypothetical. Does the LCM then become free roaming and more attacking.
Yeah, point was that Vieira would fit this role very well. And he was already bought and it left people wondering where will he play.

It's on the attacking phase where the sidebacks invert and the two midfielders play higher. Defending it's different.

The video starts at the inverted part, and is short. It explains it, and tells that Guardiola is credited with the invention of it at Bayern with Alaba and Lahm.

You can look at Alaba and Lahm, and wonder if Martinez has those qualities. I think he clearly does. A bit slower maybe, and of course those are top players, but the idea.

We would have Martinez and Tomiyasu as the starting inverted sidebacks. Cover would be Tierney and Cedric/White/Saliba.

The video also says that the players have to be intelligent & flexible footballers.

drippin

Not sure there is a better player on the market for the inverted LB role.

His passing is so good, seems intelligent, flexible, and knows how to defend. Height would be no issue at all.

It's clear why they want him.

Not sure does Ten Hag play with inverted fullbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom