Lucas Perez (Out)

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Hinderz, Feb 20, 2017.

1. samshere

samshere Well-Known Member

He wasn't a failure per se. His biggest drawback was that he couldn't stay fit for more than 3 matches at a time. And when you're hard pressed to impress a manager at your new club, frequent absences such as he's been having won't help his cause.

American_Gooner likes this.
  2. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

@Skalidis

£17M is nothing nowadays. I'm surprised so many people bring up Perez's price. For a guy who scored double figures in La Liga for a team outside the top 5, £17M was the minimum it'd take to grab him.

Had we paid £25M upward then I'd seriously wonder.

3. VancouverCanuck

VancouverCanuck Well-Known Member

I don't think people are complaining so much about the fee that we paid for him. What bothered me is the lack of chances that he was given. And more importantly, we should try to recoup the money we spent on him. I simply don't get why we would want to loan him back to Spain, if the rumors are true.

Skalidis and SuperGoon like this.
  4. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig Well-Known Member

Funny how we can throw 17M plus decent wages around like it's no bodies business and then the club has the audacity to play down our financial capabilities.

The money we throw away at these pointless signings and under performing players is a sick joke.

5. bingobob

bingobob Wanyama Advocate

17m is huge for us. Its potentially our 5th biggest ever signing and certainly within the top 10. Don't dismiss it as pocket change because that's the norm elsewhere. Our Ceo sums it up very well.

"We can't afford to outgun competitors that have far more money. We have to be very careful, very selective,"

"That means we can't afford to make huge mistakes in the transfer market. We can't afford to outgun competitors that have far more money to splurge on transfer fees than we do. So we have to be very careful, very selective about how we do things."

Skalidis likes this.
  6. Garrincha

Garrincha AM Resident Joker #2

Its how close the fee was to Vardys buyout that makes me suspicious.

I doubt we had much interest in the guy but the fee & # of goals ticked boxes. Vardy is on another level to this guy not a 17m striker.

7. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter rumours Moderator

i say the time is came that we use him if we keep playing 3-5-2 just throw him and Alexis upfront.

If i was him i would leave quickly we are destroying his career he came to us after having best year in career treating him like that is unfair and he don't deserve it because everytime we play him he score or assist.

tap-in, Carlo Marx and Erlis like this.
  8. Erlis

Erlis Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

He for sure is a much better striker than Giroud and Welbeck. I liked Welbeck when he played the first game after the injury, after that he didn't show much.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM
  9. Erlis

Erlis Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

What is this list man because I saw my name just today on it. Is it when you are known for bad or for good? LoL

10. Skalidis

Skalidis Well-Known Member

Erlis likes this.
  11. Skalidis

Skalidis Well-Known Member

Your username is apt, Bob. Nail on the head.

Taylor, 17m was his release clause; maybe he would have cost more without it, who knows? The point is, we were willing to trigger it and make him our 5th-most expensive signing after Oezil, Xhaka, Mustafi & Alexis, but in spite of this show of confidence, Wenger has subsequently decided he's not worthy of game time despite his good performances on the rare occasions he has played.

Add to that the rumours that our scouts had deemed him not good enough for us, and as Gooner Zig said, you have to wonder at the hypocrisy of our club pleading poverty while wasting millions on seemingly sub-par players, and then letting their transfer value depreciate as we struggle to sell them off because no-one else is willing to pay the high wages we do.

Gooner Zig likes this.
  12. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig Well-Known Member

It's one of my biggest gripes with the way we operate in the transfer market (along with our pathetic wage structure).

Chambers 16M, Welbeck 16M, Lucas 17M - all have contributed SFA. That's 50M alone in transfers plus millions in wages down the drain which could have funded a proper push for an elite striker or wide player.

samshere, bingobob and Skalidis like this.
  13. samshere

samshere Well-Known Member

I'm more disappointed by the fact that we seem to be so slow in moving them on once it becomes obvious that they don't fit in. Liverpool got 15m for Ibe, Chelsea 30m for Oscar who barely make their bench. I don't doubt that we could recoup the majority of our outlay on Chambers, Welbeck and Lucas if we wanted to. But no, we're loaning them around or keeping them hanging while their value plummets.

Skalidis and Gooner Zig like this.
  14. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Unsinkable !

We need to buy players that push Giroud and Walcott out of our starting lineup for 90% of the season at least.

Perez is not even better than them.

Skalidis likes this.