• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impact

Established Member
I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't have the physique or athleticism required to thrive in the Premier League.

Though I do think we should use him at the base of a 3 man midfield during Xhaka's absence in October. That's his best position and it allows us to play Guendouzi, Ceballos, Willock and Smith-Rowe in their best positions as interiors/8s in a 3 man midfield.

goonerfamily

This might be an unpopular opinion but as bad as our defence is, I think our midfield is almost as dysfunctional. Our midfielders are always so far from each other and we are not protecting our defence at all. This is why I can't understand why we moved Torreira further forward. I understand his height might be a problem for Emery but surely our centre backs can cover that to some extent. Feel like we're making more problems for ourselves by playing someone like Xhaka or Guendouzi at the base of our midfield.

Just allow Torreira to sit in front of the centre backs and play Guendouzi and Ceballos just ahead of him. This helps because the centre backs are better protected and removes Xhaka who is too immobile for the premier league. Not saying this is perfect but surely this would be better than whatever Emery is trying now

Goonerfamily right again, who would've guessed? In all seriousness, I think the last two games show that our midfield is so much better with torreira sitting (and without Xhaka)

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Was terrible on the ball but kept winning the ball time and again to stop counters and was very energetic and mobile. This is why he should start ahead of Xhaka and should play just in front of the back 4 and not next to the striker !!

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Was the only downside to the team. Really don‘t think he‘s a long term option for us. Gotta hope Milan come back for him and invest in a great defensive midfielder.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Was i the only one who wasnt that impressed with him tonight? Good ball winning but not much else. Passing was quite off tonight.

Was there anyone actually impressed by him. I mean yeah we know he likes a tackle but I want so much more from my midfielder than just winning back possession. I think he falls short in a number of areas. That's just my view on him.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Great at winning the ball but doesn’t seem to be make incisive passing or the right passing decisions.

This means we’ll have to stick someone next to him in midfield which inverts the midfield shape we’re trying to play and harms our transitioning.

Emery essentially tries to ‘cheat’ by playing him further up the pitch and hoping he can win the ball further up, but it doesn’t work so well and then you don’t want him responsible for creating chances when he does win it up there. He also hasn’t got the athleticism to really do it, like somebody like Kante who causes problems in a B2B role without being Cazorla on the ball.

I think we’ll have to try him at the base of midfield with Douzi supporting, hopefully that will help but I’m starting to feel he might be a little bit limited.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Was there anyone actually impressed by him. I mean yeah we know he likes a tackle but I want so much more from my midfielder than just winning back possession. I think he falls short in a number of areas. That's just my view on him.

When I saw him in the World Cup he was great at marshalling space and always being in the right place to kill attacks dead.

Not really seeing it here, he loves to press and get involved but he’s not as astute defensively as I thought he was going to be.

Preacher

Always Crying
His minutes were wayward until now. He needs to get more stable playing time and he will play himself into form.
He was very good defensively, cleaned everything. Attacking wise he needs to up his game a bit, but nevertheless he is the best option to use at the midfield's base. I love his tenacity off the ball.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
While I'm not an Emery apologist by any means, it's games like these where I can see why Emery prefers Xhaka to Torreira.

Torreira plays it safe and doesn't do anything risky, but that also means that he is pretty average, no better than any bottom table midfielder who is somewhat decent. You can find such players any transfer window for not a big prize. Doesn't have potential to be a great player, just someone who is serviceable. While Xhaka is superior in so many aspects of the game, physically or technically. But it's those costly errors which don't allow Xhaka to become the player he can be.

What's clear to me though is that neither of these two can be counted on for the long term, they need to be sold and replaced. Heck, I think Bielik could've been a better option than either, and I'd try Luiz as well.

Kingofthebongo

It's funny how he was on everybody's wish list and we thought we would never get him.
Puts things in perspective, aye?

I think he can be pretty good at the base of midfield to intercept and quickly pass it off. He looks a bit off the pace still, but I still think he has more use than the general fan base now think.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
It's funny how he was on everybody's wish list and we thought we would never get him.
Puts things in perspective, aye?

I think he can be pretty good at the base of midfield to intercept and quickly pass it off. He looks a bit off the pace still, but I still think he has more use than the general fan base now think.

I think he can be our most important player. Needs a regular chance as deep lying DM from now on.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Not sure what everyone else was watching, did what needed to be done in front of our defense, and doesn't **** his pants everytime someone comes after him with the ball like a Mr. Xhaka, keep playing him in his correct position and he will be even better.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Was i the only one who wasnt that impressed with him tonight? Good ball winning but not much else. Passing was quite off tonight.
I was quite disappointed in him, he misplaced a few easy balls. I think he's quite down on our midfield depth chart at this point and I'd rather Willock get more of his minutes.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Ah yes, so everyone’s finally being honest about Torreira. He isn’t good, I think I’d go as far as to say he’s been a flop signing. Anyone who saw his form last season should have been able to tell tbh.

Manberg

Predator
I think he could be easy to sell for lots of money in January if Emery wanted to place him on the transfer list.
Problem is that would leave us short in the middle.
I’d sell because the club ought to start cashing in on player value. It’s something that helped Liverpool a lot and we suck at it.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Let's see how he does between now and January before calls for selling him. Has a resurgence and return to first half of 18/19 form and it all go quiet on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom