Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Fewtch

Fewtch Ozil at 10 And Emery Out

He played as a DM in the beginning then moved to CM as the most advanced midfielder of the two CMs in a 442 diamond and then he genuinely played as a 10 in a 4231 at the end

say yes likes this.
  2. say yes

say yes To Sweet Soulful House Music

Maybe, but Emery always preferred Xhaka as the sole DM with Torreira playing further forward as a result.

One notable change of Arteta’s reign so far is fielding the two in line with each other in a double pivot. Xhaka coveting the left hand side of the pitch and Torreira covering the right. End result is Torreira playing as a proper DM again in a much more disciplined role, which is very different to how Emery used him.

3. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

You guys explaining how Toreira was used in the past couple matches like I didn’t watch when Infact I was there lol .

All I am saying is, Emery used him as DM and CM too. When he first got his run out, he was playing DM - playing very well and was a part of our unbeaten run.

You guys make too much out of the period where he played no 10 imo, it was only this season after there was no way back for Özil under Emery, who was trying all sorts this season.

Eaststander74 likes this.
  4. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

You are right about position thing, but then there is also the part about instructions he had.
    he started as DM and did well, but after a while he was being pushed up more and more.
    On paper he was still our CM, but he was pushed very high on the pitch, with and without the ball, and he clearly didn't find that comfortable at all.
    I thought Unai would figure it out over the summer how to use him properly but,to my big surprise, he actually went all in and made him AM.
    probably a move that made me lose all my faith in Emery

say yes likes this.
  5. Token Yank

Token Yank Well-Known Member

I slagged him off big time but this guy has been excellent last couple of games. Hopefully it continues.

freeglennhelder2 and DJ_Markstar like this.
  6. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

As per a few pundits and the latest Athletic article there seems to be an instruction for Torreria to try and feed into Özil as fast as possible. Noticed it quite a few times recently.

say yes and CaseUteinberger like this.
  7. CaseUteinberger

CaseUteinberger Cazorla (not Carzola ffs)

Simply discussing if Emery played him as AM, DM or CM really doesn't take into account how much more compact we are now with the distance between the back four and midfield four in the block is much shorter. When we played under Emery we ended up so spread out that if you were high up you were ****ing gone. With the new compact setup in many ways the difference isn't that pronounced. We had this problem under Wenger too which is why teams played through us so easily. Think all midfielders will benefit from the new setup and look much better. Let's let the team play fort a couple of months and see where we are then.

GoonerJeeves, DJ_Markstar and say yes like this.
  8. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford

He was always meant to be the Coquelin replacement that could actually pass forward. Towards the end of Emery’s time here that ability seemed to disappear and he was extremely safe with his passing which killed our transitions.

Him actively passing forward has made a world of difference.

9. nicky47

nicky47 Well-Known Member

Love Lucas at his best. Was so excited watching him for Uruguay. I just hope he can find consistency.

CaseUteinberger likes this.
  10. Eaststander74

Eaststander74 Jury Lite II

His form dipped and then he was being messed around positionally. I get the feeling he's a bit of a sensitive soul. From what I always saw, and contrary to a lot of what has been said about him, he can pass a ball. Emery's instructions to deviate from his normal role probably knocked his confidence.

11. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

He's back to his Sampdoria/Uruguay best. He's good positionally which helps his defensive efforts but he can pick a pass between the lines and has a fierce shot too. With a bit more shooting practice and luck, I wouldn't be surprised to see him close to double figures next season.

12. Gooner416

Gooner416 Well-Known Member

@Trilly

Wryer, RUS arsenal, bojed and 5 others like this.
  13. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford

Man likeeee

14. CaseUteinberger

CaseUteinberger Cazorla (not Carzola ffs)

Like the comment around that “This compact set-up has made a difference and that simplicity is working. Everyone playing closer together is making everyone look better.”. Our midfield will look much better playing like this both defensively and in transition.

Gooner416 and DJ_Markstar like this.
  15. DJ_Markstar

DJ_Markstar Well-Known Member

why does everyone keep tagging @Trilly

he must find that quite annoying

Trilly likes this.
  16. Gooner416

Gooner416 Well-Known Member

He's trying to be convinced on The Athletic subscription. I got you next though bro.

say yes and Trilly like this.
  17. say yes

say yes To Sweet Soulful House Music

In all seriousness Trill, if you do get a subscription make sure you do it on one of their deals. Any of us can refer you for a 40% discount, and I’m pretty sure they were offering better than that over the new year so shop around.

Trilly likes this.
  18. DJ_Markstar

DJ_Markstar Well-Known Member

Its ok, you can just give me your login and I'll throw you a bag of maltesers as a thanks.

19. ksarp

ksarp Well-Known Member

I really don’t understand how a guy who was MOTM a season ago against a surging Liverpool was suddenly branded not good enough for Arsenal. Tdog is a 6 and only a clueless coach will play him as anything else.

20. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

You get a couple of free Athletic articles per month with the iOS app. I have read every major Arsenal piece discussed in this forum for zero bucks.

krengon and Trilly like this.