• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira (Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
"In 2017, the Uruguayan was at the heart of Giampaolo’s three-man midfield set-up, armouring the defence as both a source of disruption and playmaking. It is a combination that thrives in 2018, as clubs search for versatile midfielders comfortable in all facets of midfield play.

An unrelenting workhorse, the Uruguayan controller is willing to press at opportune moments. It is one thing to be aggressive though, and another to know when to harness this energy, finely balancing the possible rewards created by applying pressure with the risks of vacating space behind. Torreira’s overall demeanour on the field seems brash, but it belies many mature aspects of his game, of which positioning in these circumstances is one.

For all this versatility though, Torreira is lacking in stature. But in a world where footballers are increasingly sought after for their athletic ability as much as their footballing quality, the pint-sized Uruguayan compensates through sheer grit and determination. With his low centre of gravity, the 22-year-old has proved to be agile enough to evade defenders in tight spaces and the same trait enables him to successfully contest body-to-body with bigger opponents: just ask Radja Nainggolan.

He might be the most difficult 5’6” player to dispossess in world football. His qualities go hand-in-hand with another diminutive midfielder who has passed through Pescara - Marco Verratti. Always playing with maturity that belies his age at the base of Giampaolo’s 4-3-1-2, Torreira possesses all of the required traits to anchor a midfield at 22. Off the ball, his bravery entering physical encounters to bust play up, along with the refusal to concede even the slightest bit of space, makes him ideal for the role he plays in Italy. And, unlike Verratti, he has proved to be disciplined in doing so; managing to keep himself out of the referee’s book on a routine basis.

Typically, this role requires one to be the launching point of the attacking build-up. Efficiency and effectiveness are essential, as is the ability to read the game and circulate possession quickly; Torreira does this all tremendously well. While not yet the most creative of passers, neither does the Uruguayan’s role ask for him to be too daring in possession. Passing at a success rate of 87.2% so far this season is indicative of that, although playing just over one key pass per game is a solid output for a player generally orchestrating plays from deep. Although, as he continues to grow increasingly confident in his role, there will be room for improvement in this area.

Further up the pitch, as mentioned before, the 22-year-old even seems to be adding a long-range shooting threat to his attacking arsenal. This trait is one to keep an eye on when he makes a move to a bigger team that looks to pin teams down in their own penalty area; giving him more license to creep into scoring zones.

At 22, few midfielders are as polished as Lucas Torreira. Opposition midfielders should just be grateful he is not six inches taller."

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I’m keen on this lad, watched him play against Napoli and thought he did well. His stats are really nice as well.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Ffs, when i saw the three tweets loading i thought we'd made some progress. Instead i see @dashsnow17 building himself up for a big disappointment.

Not especially confident we'll actually sign him, i'm just relaying some information written about him by others in case people want to know more about it.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Wouldn't say Napoli are pointless. Not winning the title last season when they had in in their control with four games left was awful for them , particularly with Sarri leaving and four/five of their regulars in their 30s. Ancelotti is a good appointment for them though, and if they keep most of their players and make a few good signings they might look like a better option for the next few seasons for anyone considering a move this summer compared to us.

Yeah maybe, but I imagine next year will be the same with Juve winning the title.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Seems to have impressive strength for such a small guy and knows how to buy a foul in a tight situation.

HBL

Established Member
Expecting a Fabinho style announcement tonight, swiftly done.

Welcome Torreira

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Haven't seen him play, but from Youtube compilations his doggish energy reminds me of Gary Medel, although not as well built as him and he hits the ball like Chris Brown hit Rihanna. Real power in those goals he scored.
That Medium article compares him to Verratti which seems a bit too much as his passing doesn't seem to be there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom