• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira (Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanth

Hasn't Torreira mostly been a benchwarmer this tourno?

Uruguay have played a 4-4-2 which doesn’t suit Torreira. He’s starting against Russia in a 3-5-2. Also, he only recently got his first cap for Uruguay. People had been clamouring for him to be included in the squad before.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Hasn't Torreira mostly been a benchwarmer this tourno?
He comes on in the business end of the match when they want to shut down the door. He was used around the 60th minute in both matches. Of course we aren't likely to get to see him making a game changing contribution in that time. But it'll be awesome if he does score a goal in the knockouts or something.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Uruguay have played a 4-4-2 which doesn’t suit Torreira. He’s starting against Russia in a 3-5-2. Also, he only recently got his first cap for Uruguay. People had been clamouring for him to be included in the squad before.

Gives me reason to watch the game now, Uruguay must frustrate their fans as much as Arsenal do.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Can't always judge why a player does or doesn't play in the national team. Torreira is young still and I guess tactically the coach just goes for other players. But in terms of quality he's definitely starting material, he'll be a mainstay soon enough.

Uruguay are gonna have to adapt their playing style over the next decade I reckon. They have Torreira, Bentacur and Valverde who will all be very good midfielders. They'll have to figure out a way to get the best out of all of them.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Uruguay are gonna have to adapt their playing style over the next decade I reckon.
They're absolut dross when it comes to creating. None of their midfielders are good at that sort of thing. They just rely on crosses and hope that Cavani and Suarez can do something individually.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
They're absolut dross when it comes to creating. None of their midfielders are good at that sort of thing. They just rely on crosses and hope that Cavani and Suarez can do something individually.

Well that's my point, we might see a shift in style. Torreira, Bentacur and Valverde all have creative qualities, so they'll have to forge a new style whereby they get the most out of that creativity. I don't think they'll change completely, they'll still have the traditional Uruguayan spirit. But they could be like Croatia are now: a sort of middling team overall elevated by a world class midfield.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Suarez, Cavani and Godin - somewhat a golden generation, shame they couldnt produce a few decent midfielders to compliment them.

They need to make the most of this WC.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
It would be wise if Tabarez plays him in the third game to see if he adds more creative flow in their robust midfield and a good opportunity for us to watch what we're getting after the WC.

Gursha

My conclusions from the first half.

- very sound positionally ( when defending)
- shy away from the ball when building up from behind ( maybe excited for his first national team start?)
- will always pass to the playmaker ( will not look for an insane diagonal ball, most likely will pass to xhaka to do it)
- very defensive minded, will not go to a crazy pushing forward press quests like sometimes xhaka does, prefers to stay positionally sound
- offers very little in ariel battles ( understandably)
- has amazing bursts of speed when defending/recovering
- good timing on sliding
- he takes the set pieces

RammiXP

I'm not impressed.

Not sure what he offers over say Elneny. He very rarely drives forward with the ball. His passing seemed average most of the game and mostly sideways and backward.

His main assets seem to be positional sense and plugging holes but surely Arsenal need players with a wider set of assets to play in midfield.

Gursha

I'm not impressed.

Not sure what he offers over say Elneny. He very rarely drives forward with the ball. His passing seemed average most of the game and mostly sideways and backward.

His main assets seem to be positional sense and plugging holes but surely Arsenal need players with a wider set of assets to play in midfield.

Been a while since we had that guy who only focuses on filling holes defending and helping the other, more talented, attacking player free roam.

Closest thing we had recently was Coq when he came back from loan, after that year he started to dream he can be Fabregas and attacked and volleyed corners outside the stadium.

Im pleased with him.
Him Ramsey and xhaka create a very balanced midfield

Torreria will focus mainly on defending, xhaka will be a midfield general with a lil bit of both, and Ramsey will free roam

I dont like the Banega links. he is old, and means Ramsey is of pretty much off.

Arsenio Venger

I'm not impressed.

giphy.gif

Has anyone ever heard of sample size?

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Sometimes i'm asking myself, whether people know, what players have to do on their position.

I really don't know, how you can even mention Elneny and Torreira in one sentence. Maybe they are both defensive midfielders, but they are a completely different type of player.

Torreira is every time close to his opponent, he gives him no time to breathe. He is going for every tackling, he is holding his position behind the CMs and always goes back behind the ball with a rapid speed.

He's knows exactly what to do. Why he should drive forward with the ball? We have players like Xhaka, Ramsey, Özil and Micky in front of him.

Exactly the player we needed. Probably people never watched a Sampdoria Game with him and doing a One-Game-Scouting. Briliant.

Just search at Twitter for Torreira and you will understand it.
Not a surprise he was MOTM for many. For me it was Godin to be fair, he is a rock.

Bentacour was really poor in front of Torreira.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom