• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: Loan Watch

Can Lucas rise above his shortcomings and the low opinions Arsenal fans have of him?

• Total voters

Pulp

You would think the club was cursed with selling their players or something. Sp**s manage to sell Bergwijn for 30 mill to Ajax, but Arsenal can't sell a Serie A proven midfielder to save their lives. Not expecting huge sums here, but surely he could be of use for someone?

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
No chance. Elneny is 5x the player. If the plan is actually to have Torreira replace he-who-shall-not-be-named we are ****ed.

Thankfully, there is no chance of that, this is clearly just posturing either from the club or the agent or both, Arteta chose to keep Elneny around and sent Torreira off for a reason.

5x the player? I like Elneny and hate Torreira but lets compare the stats

vs

vs

Torreira scored a decent share of goals last season, more than any outside of our front 4. His progressive passes is 73rd percentile versus Partey's 79 percentile versus Elneny's 19th percentile. Partey is far better at progressive carries and a bit better defensively.

But given we are in a tight spot Torreira doesn't compare that badly with Partey and at least in terms of distribution and goal creating contributions is clearly ahead of Elneny.

Let's say we can't get a top DM. If we can get Savic or Paqueta it maybe worth spending the extra there and just having Torieira and Elneny as our options for DM? I think it's probably a better bet than getting someone like Douglas Luiz from Villa who I'm not sure is better than Torreira.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Torreira is less aesthetic to watch on the ball but that's it, when it comes to playing football he'd be our best midfielder, specially if we don't do that play him as a 10 nonsense Emery felt he needed to do.

It's a risky move because the fans unfairly hate him for being held hostage by the club, and because who knows if he can actually make a mental reset and give not only Arsenal but England another chance.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Bring him back to the team, tie him down and force feed him beans and black pudding or whatever crap you lot eat over there, and make him accept London as his home.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
5x the player? I like Elneny and hate Torreira but lets compare the stats

vs

vs

Torreira scored a decent share of goals last season, more than any outside of our front 4. His progressive passes is 73rd percentile versus Partey's 79 percentile versus Elneny's 19th percentile. Partey is far better at progressive carries and a bit better defensively.

But given we are in a tight spot Torreira doesn't compare that badly with Partey and at least in terms of distribution and goal creating contributions is clearly ahead of Elneny.

Let's say we can't get a top DM. If we can get Savic or Paqueta it maybe worth spending the extra there and just having Torieira and Elneny as our options for DM? I think it's probably a better bet than getting someone like Douglas Luiz from Villa who I'm not sure is better than Torreira.
Better to compare his PL stats to Elneny's, no? Serie A stats...he did really well statistically with Sampdoria too, we saw how that translated.

Elneny is better in pretty much every way. Have a look. Torreira is just not very good, and isn't an option at 6 whatsoever, he can't receive the ball and build up play from deep, it's why managers in the PL hide him higher up the pitch and have another midfielder receive to start the move.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Lucas, after Arteta tells him he has to go to work tomorrow...

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Elneny is better in pretty much every way. Have a look.
Elneny is pretty much below average at everything he does, while Torreira was a top class ball winner for us, at least in his early Emery days when he wasn't pushed forward. That alone makes him a valuable asset, he was still better at everything else compared to Elneny, but you guys simply refuse to remember how valuable he was for that period and only remember his bad days when he got pushed forward and was exposed for his lack of physicality. It wasn't Torreira who was bad, it was Emery insisting on playing him just because he liked the player. Also, other midfielders like Xhaka and Douzi were also being overrun on a regular basis in that system, but you guys still refuse to acknowledge that fact just so you can support your BS for Torreira

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Whichever way you look at it, he’s a seasoned professional who’s played at a high level for many years and is under contract with us so we shouldn’t be having to do these gymnastics to justify keeping him.

It’s a World Cup year so he needs to prove his worth.

I can see why the shirt number bent his nose out of shape but he shouldn’t have had 11 in the first place.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
I'd keep him IF he's willing to put his head down and work and stop being a lil ***** about life in London. I'd even extend his contract but not with a significant pay raise so i could sell him after next season. He's not a bad player and we shouldn't be losing him for free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom