• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Luis Suárez

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshburtonGhost

Re: Luis Suarez

It's a black and white situation - we do not have a single forward player who can be relied upon to do the business for close to a whole season. This needs to be rectified and looking at someone as prolific as Luis Suarez would be a decent start.

P_Gunner

MDGoonah41 said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Why? I don't think it's unlikely at all. It's rather one of the benefits of having proper attacking players instead of playing midfielders in striking positions to fill the gaps.

outlaw: If Robin is in the squad and injury free at the start of next season then things should be expected of him in proportion to the role he's playing and what he's shown he's able to do. And if he can't be trusted upon then we should move him on and get someone in who can be. It's not a secret that we're counting on him to become our main outlet in the attack.

1. Scoring 20 goals isn't something that happens with regularity.

* Robin scored 20 goals one time in his career, last year.
* Eduardo has done it twice, but neither time in England, and he's scored a total of 21 goals in 60 appearances.
* Arshavin has never scored more than 15 goals in a season

2. Eduardo has a horror injury on his docket, van Persie has played 40 games or more in a season only twice since coming to Arsenal in 2004. These players have to be fit to be able to score goals.

I wouldn't hold my breath on any of the three scoring 20 goals a piece next season. If RvP is fit for the whole season, he can do it. But the most games he's played in one season was 42, also last season. He's now missed large chunks of 2 of the last 3 seasons. Arshavin still doesn't look like he's adapted to the pace/physicality of England, and I think its certainly very risky to project him to finish with 20 or more. He's on 9 this year, with 12 more league games to play, plus whatever we end up having left in the CL. Eduardo has looked off the pace even when he was on the field, and he's had constant injury niggles since coming back. He turns 27 in a week, he's not the youngest guy around, its not like he's going to see massive improvements in his game, and we don't even know if he can stay fit for more than a month at a time.

I'd love to be able to count on those 3 plus Chamakh and Bendtner, but if that's all we go into next season with, we're going to be complaining about our strike force by November.

RVP also took a lot of penalties to reach that figure. I do think he can score well over 20 in a season, but I would rather not risk him being fit.

Eduardo has never been a goalscorer for us and his finishing seems to have gotten much worse.

Arshavin is definitely not a 20 goal striker, neither is Bendtner.

Chamakh doesn't solve this problem. If this Suarez kid will solve it then why not break the bank for him. I haven't watched him. I don't know how good he is, but his stats are impressive.

MDGoonah41

Established Member

Chamakh is a very good player. His linkup play is superb, and he's one of the best headers of the ball I've seen. He gets into great goal scoring positions and brings others into the play. In the games Ive watched of him, he hasn't scored many goals with his feet, but he's an ideal option, because he can play any of the front three positions.

outlaw_member

Established Member

I don't know why it's a given that Chamakh will be an asset down the flanks. He has the qualities to be a decent option but he's played the majority of his career as a striker. Signing him only to use him out of his natural position is not wise, not wise at all.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

The same way it was unwise to sign Pires, Petit and Arshavin and use them in other positions? I do get your point, but there's an inherent difference between Chamakh and the likes of Nasri and Rosicky, and that difference is that Chamakh is a striker. Besides his playing style is, in theory, quite fitting for a wide striker. He's usually drifting in from wide anyway.

MDGoonah41 said:
1. Scoring 20 goals isn't something that happens with regularity.

* Robin scored 20 goals one time in his career, last year.
* Eduardo has done it twice, but neither time in England, and he's scored a total of 21 goals in 60 appearances.
* Arshavin has never scored more than 15 goals in a season

2. Eduardo has a horror injury on his docket, van Persie has played 40 games or more in a season only twice since coming to Arsenal in 2004. These players have to be fit to be able to score goals.
I'm not saying they're going to, I'm saying they've got the potential. Which is true both for them and any new supposed goalscorer we'd sign. That they have to stay fit for most of the season is of course a given. Can they do it? Yeah, I think they can. Robin plays a role that is getting the best out of him nowadays and Eduardo and Arshavin both play in a much better team. The potential is definitely there.

outlaw_member

Established Member

It's precisely that sort of thinking which saw Eboue, Diaby, Nasri and others being used out of position at the teams detriment. It worked beautifully in the past but Wenger's biggest mistake was to assume that it was a method which would also work with many others. Chamakh does tend to drift all over the pitch but there is a difference between starting outwide and drifting outwide from a central position. Ultimately, do you really want to take that chance?

Again, Chamakh will undoubtedly be a better option than Nasri and Rosicky but is that merely all we want, as in someone just better than those two, or do we require someone who can actually be a huge asset from the right flank? I want a proper RW, rather then yet another player who is expected to convert.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

thegame24 said:
Klaus, you spout some uber s**t in defence of our players you know.
You're the one to talk :lol: Jog on now.

outlaw_member said:
Again, Chamakh will undoubtedly be a better option than Nasri and Rosicky but is that merely all we want, as in someone just better than those two, or do we require someone who can actually be a huge asset from the right flank? I want a proper RW, rather then yet another player who is expected to convert.
I want a player who's good enough, and I think Chamakh is that player. Converting isn't always a bad thing. It rather brings out the best of players sometimes. Everything about Chamakh suggests to me that he'd be great for a wide role here.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

How about you stop being so ****ing childish instead? If you've got something to say about the subject of the thread then do, but don't post just to tell me I'm chatting ****.

Timleaf

Established Member

Van Persie, Chamakh, Arshavin and Cesc--if there's not enough goals in that lot to win the Premier league I'll eat my pants.

thegame24

Established Member

You chat **** too often, havnt stopped since youve been here.

How the **** will they all get 20 goals with chamakh here aswell.

show some sence

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

I said they've got 20 goals in them, not that they'd necessarily score that much. An injury free attack is important to carry the momentum, though, and we haven't had much luck in that aspect lately.

As soon as we're capable of starting strikers in striking positions they're gonna grab more goals though. Barca's three first choice strikers all scored around 30 goals each last season, for example. It's not impossible.

P_Gunner

Klaus Daimler said:
I said they've got 20 goals in them, not that they'd necessarily score that much. An injury free attack is important to carry the momentum, though, and we haven't had much luck in that aspect lately.

As soon as we're capable of starting strikers in striking positions they're gonna grab more goals though. Barca's three first choice strikers all scored around 30 goals each last season, for example. It's not impossible.

I don't want someone that "has 20 goals in them", I want someone that will score 20 goals.

Eduardo to score 20 in the prem? Thats just crazy. He currently has 7 in 35 apps and his finishing has been utter crap since the start of the season.

RVP scored 20 once ever, last year, and that was inclusive of like 5 or 6 penalties. I honestly think he can hit 30 in a season playing at the centre of the 4-3-3 if he stays fit, but why risk his fitness when he's usually injured.

We already know relying on Arshavin for goals won't work. He can score 20 in the prem, but I doubt he will.

So, besides from RVP we have no 20 goal striker. Does Chamakh fix this? I don't think he does. Yes, he improves our team, but a 20 goal striker would improve us even more.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

P_Gunner said:
Eduardo to score 20 in the prem?
Across all competitions.

I don't think it's crazy at all. The team is set up with an emphazis on the attack. We've scored 90 goals so far this season with most of our strikers out injured. If you want some kind of guarantee you might wanna boot up Football Manager though. It doesn't work like that in the real world. If there's one thing this season has shown it's that we don't have any problems with scoring goals though.

P_Gunner

Klaus Daimler said:
P_Gunner said:
Eduardo to score 20 in the prem?
Across all competitions.

I don't think it's crazy at all. The team is set up with an emphazis on the attack. We've scored 90 goals so far this season with most of our strikers out injured. If you want some kind of guarantee you might wanna boot up Football Manager though. It doesn't work like that in the real world. If there's one thing this season has shown it's that we don't have any problems with scoring goals though.

Our attack has looked like complete crap recently. When we play a good team such as United or Chelsea we struggled to score. None of our players are born goal scorers and Eduardo seems to be regressing and not getting better. He can't work properly in the 4-3-3 so expecting goals from him to pull us through wouldn't be very safe. Why not just get a born goal scorer that we can trust in?

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

P_Gunner said:
Our attack has looked like complete crap recently.
Our entire attack has been injured lately. It's not surprising that they look like midfielders when they are midfielders.

Anzac

Established Member

Who is a born goal scorer in the way we play since The Invincibles & TH, particularly if we persist with RVP as central striker dropping deep?

P_Gunner

Anzac said:
Who is a born goal scorer in the way we play since The Invincibles & TH, particularly if we persist with RVP as central striker dropping deep?

We actually had a goalscorer in Adebayor after Henry left. Now we have RVP, but we can't rely on him being fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom