• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Luis Suárez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anzac

Established Member
Re: Luis Suarez

P_Gunner said:
Anzac said:
Who is a born goal scorer in the way we play since The Invincibles & TH, particularly if we persist with RVP as central striker dropping deep?

We actually had a goalscorer in Adebayor after Henry left. Now we have RVP, but we can't rely on him being fit.

I don't think Adebayor could play the same role that RVP has been asked to, just as Eduardo hasn't been able to. Goes back to what I was saying about the player needs to suit the role, and the patterns need to suit the available resources.

I rate Suarez, Chamakh etc, just not sure they'd 'fit' this current pattern in anything other than the central striker role - same goes for Dzeko & Villa. Whereas I think the likes of Belotelli & Benzema could work effectively as wing-forwards & continue to provide a direct goal threat.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Suarez is a quality player but the money he would cost could be better spent strengthening other areas of the team. Also never be fooled by dutch league scoring records.

thegame24

Established Member

Anzac said:
P_Gunner said:
Anzac said:
Who is a born goal scorer in the way we play since The Invincibles & TH, particularly if we persist with RVP as central striker dropping deep?

We actually had a goalscorer in Adebayor after Henry left. Now we have RVP, but we can't rely on him being fit.

I don't think Adebayor could play the same role that RVP has been asked to, just as Eduardo hasn't been able to. Goes back to what I was saying about the player needs to suit the role, and the patterns need to suit the available resources.

I rate Suarez, Chamakh etc, just not sure they'd 'fit' this current pattern in anything other than the central striker role - same goes for Dzeko & Villa. Whereas I think the likes of Belotelli & Benzema could work effectively as wing-forwards & continue to provide a direct goal threat.

Adebayor done it with eboue and diaby as wingers.

Anzac

Established Member

thegame24 said:
Anzac said:

Adebayor done it with eboue and diaby as wingers.

I don't think he did anything of the sort - IMO Ade played off the last defender as an advanced forward playing the highest line in our attack. When Eboue & Diaby were on the flanks Hleb played in the hole in the creative role. Until we pushed Cesc further forward we were playing the CF in a more creative role dropping deeper to link with the midfield = a very different role & requirement as Ade's 'link' play was a return pass straight back to where it came from, and NO creativity other than to try to create opportunities for himself.

Kenyonhater

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/05/02/arsenal-consider-summer-bid-to-sign-22m-goal-machine-wenger-wants-ajax-hotshot-luis-suarez/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/05/02 ... is-suarez/</a>

Lord Dula

Established Member

This will not happen in a billion years. Chamakhs all but here and anything 20 mill plus is just a bag of lies as far as we are concerned

Rorz

Established Member

Kenyonhater said:
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/05/02/arsenal-consider-summer-bid-to-sign-22m-goal-machine-wenger-wants-ajax-hotshot-luis-suarez/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just read that article, and not a quote in sight. Utter tripe!

Gurgen

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
I don't think he's even close to being good enough for Arsenal.

He is an excellent footballer who has scored 47 goals in 47 games. He also tops the assists chart. He's quick, strong, can beat a man, a good finisher, shoots well with both feet and is a team player. What about him isn't good enough for Arsenal? He'd give Arshavin a run for his money, believe me.

lagos

Established Member

ricky1985 said:

Never heard his name before but I just saw we were linked to him and discovered he has scored 76 goals in 96 appearances, what exactly is your definition of being good enough for Arsenal Ricky?

I don't know if he can replicate that for us but on paper that's the sort of clinical striker we need!

ricky1985

Established Member

Gurgen said:
ricky1985 said:

He is an excellent footballer who has scored 47 goals in 47 games. He also tops the assists chart. He's quick, strong, can beat a man, a good finisher, shoots well with both feet and is a team player. What about him isn't good enough for Arsenal? He'd give Arshavin a run for his money, believe me.
I've watched him a lot, and I don't see anything really top class about him. Sure, he's very good at some things, but, he has about 15 chances a game, every game. Ajax are so much better than everyone they play against, it's almost embarrassing. I'd describe him as a poor man's Carlos Tevez, although not half as smart, but in most other ways fairly similar. He could come to the Premier League and score goals, but, he's not good enough to come to Arsenal and be one of our better players.

ricky1985

Established Member

lagos said:
ricky1985 said:

Never heard his name before but I just saw we were linked to him and discovered he has scored 76 goals in 96 appearances, what exactly is your definition of being good enough for Arsenal Ricky?

I don't know if he can replicate that for us but on paper that's the sort of clinical striker we need!
It's deceiving, trust me. Klass Jan Huntelaar had an even better strike rate, and Mateja Kezman's was very similar.

He's a good player, and stands out a mile in the Dutch League, but, there's nothing really exceptional about his game. He's not particularly quick, not particularly skilful, not particularly clever, and, believe it or not, he's not actually that clinical - he misses a good number of chances every game, his 47 goals are more a testament to just how many chances he gets as opposed to how many he takes.

Like I said he's a good player but he's not going to come to Arsenal and pull any trees up.

lagos

Established Member

well I suppose clinical is relative to chances created and shots to goals, Like I said never heard of him till about 30 minutes ago

....still impressive stats though

outlaw_member

Established Member

To be fair, most high scoring players tend to miss a boat load of chances. When C.Ronaldo or Henry were respectively top scorers in the league, they were also the most wasteful. Scoring alot of goals is partly about trying to take nearly every opportunity that presents itself. Even the likes of Lampard and Rooney have missed chance after chance this season but they've also scored many because they don't let it deter them. Many of our players just end up passing the buck in that situation. I think it was Kamikaze who raised an important point about a lack of real shooters in our team. We don't have anyone bar Arshavin who can pick up the ball 30 yards from goal and actually pose a real goal threat. Even our best striker, van Persie has been rubbish from outside the box in recent years.

Gurgen

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
he misses a good number of chances every game, his 47 goals are more a testament to just how many chances he gets as opposed to how many he takes.

If it is that easy, why doesn't everyone do it? Why don't Pantelic and Sulejmani have 47 goals?

Don't forget most of those goals have been scored from the right wing as well.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

I wouldn't complain if we signed Suarez to replace Arshavin.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXV52Lw-UY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHXV52Lw-UY</a>

ricky1985

Established Member

Gurgen said:
ricky1985 said:
he misses a good number of chances every game, his 47 goals are more a testament to just how many chances he gets as opposed to how many he takes.

If it is that easy, why doesn't everyone do it? Why don't Pantelic and Sulejmani have 47 goals?

Don't forget most of those goals have been scored from the right wing as well.
I'm not saying it's easy, just that it's not as impressive as the raw numbers make it look. Pantelic, for example, is one of the worst strikers I've ever seen, absolutely pitiful, and yet in the League alone this season he's scored 16 goals in only 22 games (and got 3 assists). Suarez plays for by far the best team, and is usually the focal point of that team's creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom