• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Malang Sarr

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Can anyone explain why some of his defensive stats seem so poor, such as his low aerial duals? We're horrible enough on set pieces, would this not be a cause for concern in a much more physical league?
He is pretty short for a CB. That's the big question mark.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Interesting as replacement of Kolasinac? Kolasinac is on high wages (£100k) and could fetch a decent fee I imagine (€10-15m), while being an absolutely terrible footballer.

Malang can play LB and would be better in a 3 at the back I imagine.
Yeah if we continue with three at the back or shuttle between the formations he could be a nice pick up. Cheap wages, no transfer fee and age on his side.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Sarr is left footed, young and technically pretty good but doesnt he struggle defensively against tricky players?
Not really a CB I want us to sign this summer unless we are going to keep the back 3 next season and Kolasinac is going to be sold.

Imagine if we do actually keep the back 3 next season and it turns out Arteta is like a disciple of Conte and just loves a back 3, that would be a turn up for the books.

db10fan

H
Can anyone explain why some of his defensive stats seem so poor, such as his low aerial duals? We're horrible enough on set pieces, would this not be a cause for concern in a much more physical league?
About half the time he plays as LB
He is pretty short for a CB. That's the big question mark.
M. Sarr is about Kolo Toure size, who did fine for us. If Sarr learns proper positioning and timing of challenges he will be fine. Still if he plays as as 1 of 2 CB then his partner must be a tall aerial dominant CB, which Saliba seems to fit that tall CB profile.

Tom349

Imagine if we do actually keep the back 3 next season and it turns out Arteta is like a disciple of Conte and just loves a back 3, that would be a turn up for the books.

The market looks more friendly for getting deals done for defensive players than it does attacking players who will likely cost a lot more for which teams will be less likely to sell or be willing to spend big money to replace them given the current financial climate. Although the biggest overriding factor is there seems to a lot of defensive players looking to move clubs and have their contracts running out. Sarr is obviously a free agent but beyond him you Upamecano, Alaba and Matieyenko with one year left on their deals. You also have players like Ake who could be relegated and then there is also a heap of other young CBs who could be enticed with moves like Gabriel and Pau Torres. Another potential factor could be if Lacazette or Guendouzi are involved in swap deals with a team like Juventus then they could be willing to depart with Demiral (unlikely).

I wouldn't be opposed to loading up on defenders given their availability and becoming a potentially elite defensive team even if it means sacrificing the attack.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
The market looks more friendly for getting deals done for defensive players than it does attacking players who will likely cost a lot more for which teams will be less likely to sell or be willing to spend big money to replace them given the current financial climate. Although the biggest overriding factor is there seems to a lot of defensive players looking to move clubs and have their contracts running out. Sarr is obviously a free agent but beyond him you Upamecano, Alaba and Matieyenko with one year left on their deals. You also have players like Ake who could be relegated and then there is also a heap of other young CBs who could be enticed with moves like Gabriel and Pau Torres. Another potential factor could be if Lacazette or Guendouzi are involved in swap deals with a team like Juventus then they could be willing to depart with Demiral (unlikely).

I wouldn't be opposed to loading up on defenders given their availability and becoming a potentially elite defensive team even if it means sacrificing the attack.

Oof, I tell you I'd settle for a back 3 for the next few years if it meant Alaba replacing Kolasinac!

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

We are probably losing Luiz, Sokratis and one of Holding and Chambers or possibly both in the next 12 months. Possibly Kolasnic also but I think we may keep him as a reserve left back.

Someone like Sarr makes sense simply to plan for the future now. Saliba and one more for the right, Mari and Sarr for the left.

We may also lose two or those listed above this window. So again makes sense to plan for now and also the next window. A free signing leaves cash on the table for now and the future. So it's a no brainer if we want to do it we should.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I would take Sarr if he is a replacement for Kolasinac, backup left back and 3rd choice left central defender. He is younger, lower wages and we could get some sort of fee for Kola. I still think we need a more experienced, higher profile player as first choice.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
I would take Sarr if he is a replacement for Kolasinac, backup left back and 3rd choice left central defender. He is younger, lower wages and we could get some sort of fee for Kola. I still think we need a more experienced, higher profile player as first choice.
Sarr in for Kolasinac would be excellent business. No fee, lower wages and we shoould get at least 5M for Kola.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
How good actually is this guy when hes been able to talk to clubs from January but has yet to agree a deal. Either hes holding out for one particular club or he hasnt exactly got many offers.

Havent seen him play. Is he actually better than Kolasinac?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How good actually is this guy when hes been able to talk to clubs from January but has yet to agree a deal. Either hes holding out for one particular club or he hasnt exactly got many offers.

Havent seen him play. Is he actually better than Kolasinac?

Well he can pass and his idea of a tackle isn't just running into the opposition.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Well he can pass and his idea of a tackle isn't just running into the opposition.

I don't think Arteta really wants to play with a back 3 next season though. I think it's just the best system to get points right now and the team has such little time on the training pitch in between games that he's just sticking to a formula that's worked.

Sarr isn't ready to partner Saliba in a back 4. Maybe you bring him in to replace Kolasinac as a back-up LB, but can he actually go forward?

So i'm not sure if this makes sense from our point of view. I also don't think it makes sense for Sarr. His development stagnated a bit apparently, he'd better off going to Leipzig and learning his game in the Bundesliga.

Upamecano to Arsenal and Sarr to Leipzig just makes more sense, it suits each player's career development much better.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Sarr makes sense on paper. He's not particularly tall, but he's quite experienced for his age, is free, and technically capable. There would be quite a lot to work with there. Also the added baggage of coming off the back of a struggling season makes this even more of a lay-up. Like Leno, could be a case of needing reinvigorating.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

To be honest my view is we need starting 11 players first and foremost. That should be the focus. If hes free and on low wages why the hell has he not agreed a deal with someone yet.

21 has abit of experience and talent and is a free agent and still no club. A bit strange.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Good idea to be honest. Sarr could be brought in as a free transfer while Kolasinac leaves for some money. If Sarr doesnt make it out as a starting CB he could certainly do a more of a utility role. Could also fill in at LB, as well as the left sided CB in a 3 at the back.

If he applies himself he could turn out to be an astute signing. The issue would be his wages though, as he will be coming on a bosman.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Good idea to be honest. Sarr could be brought in as a free transfer while Kolasinac leaves for some money. If Sarr doesnt make it out as a starting CB he could certainly do a more of a utility role. Could also fill in at LB, as well as the left sided CB in a 3 at the back.

If he applies himself he could turn out to be an astute signing. The issue would be his wages though, as he will be coming on a bosman.
I mentioned this before... I have serious reservations and I am scratching my head as to why so many on here are open to replacing Kola with a makeshift young CB. Tierney has been plagued with fitness issues over the past year and a bit and it would be a major gamble to place such faith in an unproven player out of position to rotate or have to start if Tierney goes down. All that said, I like him and would have rather him signed instead of Mari as our back up left footed CB.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I see no point in bringing him in just because he’s a free transfer when we already signed a similar defender in Mari. We need to go for quality not quantity.

Any other position I wouldn’t mind taking a risk on but not in the defence especially when we’ve got around 6 CBs who are all average.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I see no point in bringing him in just because he’s a free transfer when we already signed a similar defender in Mari. We need to go for quality not quantity.

Any other position I wouldn’t mind taking a risk on but not in the defence especially when we’ve got around 6 CBs who are all average.

100%.

We need 3 players who come into the starting 11 and improve it. Not squad players. Liverpool didnt win the league by buying back ups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom