• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Malang Sarr

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Mavropanos is a bit raw but his problem has been a really bad run of injuries. He's got a lot to like about his game, but I think will need another loan at a higher level because of over 21 squad number limitations.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Mavropanos? He's just kept a team in the 2nd tier of German football. We give guys like this starting roles and we'll be in the 2nd tier.

Never saw Sarr play and don't want him

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Rare cases and exceptions. Why not throw Kante in for good measure?

In case you didn't realise Mavro is on our books, Robertson played in The Premier League for Hull. Silly comparisons.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
We have a young promising CB coming in from Ligue 1 this summer why the **** do people want another before seeing the first?

We have six senior CBs at the club right now. Two on fresh deals & two on wages we will never shift.

Because no matter how quick Saliba hits the ground running which is highly unlikely hes still going to be paired with one of Mustsfi, Luiz, Holding, Mari, Chambers. None of whom I believe are good enough to get us into the top 4. And that's on the basis that Saliba has a brilliant season.

Look at the other teams around us or above us. Individually their defenders are better. We have a **** show for defence who every couple of weeks makes a huge error and is posted all over social media and sports outlets asking the question "why do Arsenal continue to play and reward such school boy mistakes".

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Because no matter how quick Saliba hits the ground running which is highly unlikely hes still going to be paired with one of Mustsfi, Luiz, Holding, Mari, Chambers. None of whom I believe are good enough to get us into the top 4. And that's on the basis that Saliba has a brilliant season.

Look at the other teams around us or above us. Individually their defenders are better. We have a **** show for defence who every couple of weeks makes a huge error and is posted all over social media and sports outlets asking the question "why do Arsenal continue to play and reward such school boy mistakes".
But how does Sarr answer that?

Playing him with one of the senior CBs or with Saliba? The first option same as Saliba scenario & second just pure unknown. Arteta has renewed two CBs & spoken about what he sees in them.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
But how does Sarr answer that?

Playing him with one of the senior CBs or with Saliba? The first option same as Saliba scenario & second just pure unknown. Arteta has renewed two CBs & spoken about what he sees in them.

I dont particularly want Sarr.i want Arsenal to sign an experience PL proven defender. They dont need to be the best in the world but they do have to be better than what we have got.

People are so fed up of watching are joke defenders they are clinging onto any kind of hope of new players coming in and some older ones going out.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We have six senior CBs at the club right now. Two on fresh deals & two on wages we will never shift.

I think we’re in serious trouble here and the other teams in the PL know our defensive frailties which is why José Mourinho was targeting it.

Mari
Luiz
Sokratis
Mustafi
Holding
Chambers

:lol:

I don’t even know how we ended up with a bunch of bang average defenders and with the PL getting harder every year, teams like Chelsea improving their attack (Werner, Ziyech etc) and our “experienced defenders” ageing, I think there could be 4 or 5s next season if we don’t reset.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I think we’re in serious trouble here and the other teams in the PL know our defensive frailties which is why José Mourinho was targeting it.

Mari
Luiz
Sokratis
Mustafi
Holding
Chambers

:lol:

I don’t even know how we ended up with a bunch of bang average defenders and with the PL getting harder every year, teams like Chelsea improving their attack (Werner, Ziyech etc) and our “experienced defenders” ageing, I think there could be 4 or 5s next season if we don’t reset.

We have a real problem with cutting the cord with crap players. And that is where the mentality issue comes in of let's go to Arsenal. Not perform and it's ok. We will still play and pick up a wage. At other teams those players would have been moved on.

Chambers was a starter for Soton. Not a child.
He came to us had loans at Boro and Fulham. We are about 4 years on and is he better? Who knows because hes always injured. And when he isnt injured hes bang average. Bad? No. Just not good enough. Sell.

Holding is another. Been at the club for years. Had about 3 good games and because he got the better of Costa in one game people think hes brilliant. Hes again either injured or not in the team? Why? Because hes not good enough. He got tortured against Leeds.

Mustafi not good enough.

Luiz. Not good enough but at least has some winning pedigree.

Mari. A complete unknown quantity. Didnt impress in Spain.

Sokratis. Actually looked like a sound buy for 15m a few years back. Is ok as a defender but his best years are past him and he lacks agility and mobility to deal with top strikers. Also rash at times.

There isnt a single good one in that pack. Not a single one of them starts for our rivals. Not 1 single CB.

Says it all.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We have a real problem with cutting the cord with crap players. And that is where the mentality issue comes in of let's go to Arsenal. Not perform and it's ok. We will still play and pick up a wage. At other teams those players would have been moved on.

Chambers was a starter for Soton. Not a child.
He came to us had loans at Boro and Fulham. We are about 4 years on and is he better? Who knows because hes always injured. And when he isnt injured hes bang average. Bad? No. Just not good enough. Sell.

Holding is another. Been at the club for years. Had about 3 good games and because he got the better of Costa in one game people think hes brilliant. Hes again either injured or not in the team? Why? Because hes not good enough. He got tortured against Leeds.

Mustafi not good enough.

Luiz. Not good enough but at least has some winning pedigree.

Mari. A complete unknown quantity. Didnt impress in Spain.

Sokratis. Actually looked like a sound buy for 15m a few years back. Is ok as a defender but his best years are past him and he lacks agility and mobility to deal with top strikers. Also rash at times.

There isnt a single good one in that pack. Not a single one of them starts for our rivals. Not 1 single CB.

Says it all.

I totally agree but I’m not sure who our rivals are.

Premier-League-table-standings-2567543.jpg

I’m not even trying to troll or anything but that trio (Utd, Chelsea and Leicester) will improve if they get CL football and we’ll fall further behind.

Bloodbather

Established Member

We have a young promising CB coming in from Ligue 1 this summer why the **** do people want another before seeing the first?

That's actually a reason why Sarr is an appealing signing, he's available on a free. You could pair him up with one of the senior CBs for the meantime like you do with Saliba.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I totally agree but I’m not sure who our rivals are.

Premier-League-table-standings-2567543.jpg

I’m not even trying to troll or anything but that trio (Utd, Chelsea and Leicester) will improve if they get CL football and we’ll fall further behind.

We could find up to 10 better defenders in the teams below us than what we have now never mind those above us.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yeah and they would all make the same basic mistakes in our set up.

So the set up is why Luiz makes unforced errors? Like against City? Kolasinac couldn't make a 10 yard pass because of our set up? Mustafi sliding on the ground while Kane walks past him is because of the set up?

Pull the other one. Individually they are poor. Conte had to play 3 at the back to cover Luiz flaws. Mustafi has and always will be a liability. And Kolasinac is a squad player at left back at best.

Shalmaneser V

So the set up is why Luiz makes unforced errors? Like against City? Kolasinac couldn't make a 10 yard pass because of our set up? Mustafi sliding on the ground while Kane walks past him is because of the set up?

Pull the other one. Individually they are poor. Conte had to play 3 at the back to cover Luiz flaws. Mustafi has and always will be a liability. And Kolasinac is a squad player at left back at best.

Individually they’re obviously not great. But the lack of leadership, organisation, preparation and a defined philosophy for me is the root of the cause.

The mistakes these clowns are making is nothing new. It’s been a reoccurring theme going back to the latter Wenger days. Vermaelen, Mertesacker and Koscielny etc were making these same errors and we were regularly losing to our closest rivals.

The culture is all off and has been for a decade. For me Arteta has to fix that first and foremost before we worry about bringing better defenders in.

Luiz would not have lasted at Chelsea as long as he did and won nearly 60 Brazil caps if he was as bad as you claim. When Conte switched to 3 at the back why was Luiz not making the kind of errors he’s been making here even after Arteta made the same switch? I’ll tell you why it’s because Chelsea were a more organised, well drilled and balanced team with a winning mentality. Plus he had better quality players in front of him.

Mustafi had just come off a good season in la liga at Valencia before we signed him.

Kolasinac made the Bundesliga team of the season prior to joining us. Plus he’s not a central defender.

You have to ask yourself why these players turn to **** after playing us? For me it’s mainly due to the reasons I specified above.

I remember one of the ex-players Squillaci criticising Wenger’s methods. He felt that our style left the defence far too open to counterattacks. He said it’s much more difficult for central defenders at Arsenal.

Last edited:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Individually they’re obviously not great. But the lack of leadership, organisation, preparation and a defined philosophy for me is the root of the cause.

The mistakes these clowns are making is nothing new. It’s been a reoccurring theme going back to the latter Wenger days. Vermaelen, Mertesacker and Koscielny etc were making these same errors and we were regularly losing to our closest rivals.

The culture is all off and has been for a decade. For me Arteta has to fix that first and foremost before we worry about bringing better defenders in.

Luiz would not have lasted at Chelsea as long as he did and won nearly 60 Brazil caps if he was as bad as you claim. When Conte switched to 3 at the back why was Luiz not making the kind of errors he’s been making here even after Arteta made the same switch? I’ll tell you why it’s because Chelsea were a more organised, well drilled and balanced team. Plus he had better quality players in front of him.

Mustafi had just come off a good season in la liga at Valencia before we signed him.

Kolasinac made the Bundesliga team of the season prior to joining us. Plus he’s not a central defender.

You have to ask yourself why these players turn to **** after playing us? For me it’s mainly due to the reasons I specified above.

I remember one of the ex-players Squillaci criticising Wenger’s methods. He felt that our style left the defence far too open to counterattacks. He said it’s much more difficult for central defenders at Arsenal.

I definately think you have some clear points. But at the same time you have to remember that the mistakes these guys are making are unforced errors.

It's like Federer double faulting. Kolasinac hadnt enough pressure on him to make a simple back pass difficult. The ball that came into Luiz against City is as routine as you can get.

What I would also say is that we have continued to sign the wrong type of player. The type of player who is trying to do something they cant do. And this links into your points abit.

Managers are asking these players to play out from the back but in reality they arent that comfortable at it. They seem to not know when to clear the ball upfield or go short.

One other thing that is the problem is this idea that Arsenal has to play free flowing attractive football where we dominate possession, knock it about etc. Its funny how that has become the "culture" at Arsenal. In 1998 we played decent football but nothing super attractive. We hit the wings with pace. Had Bergkamp, Wright and Anelka along with Overmars able to create. We had solid CM and a solid defence. That was based on defend first.

Then Arsène decided he maybe didnt want that style so he was looking for defenders to be able to be ball playing. However truth be told he didnt have an eye for defenders. It was one area that completely eluded him.

In the same period Fergie was making a point of signing top defenders. Chelsea were never short of good defenders too. Yes they had money but Vidic at 7.5m. Likes of Stam, Desially, Carvalho, etc were all good defenders that didnt break the bank.

I look at teams who try to play similar systems and player for player they are better than what we have as individuals.

Azpilecueta at Chelsea has played left back, right back and centre back over the last 5-6 years under different managers. He can do this because hes a good player. Is he world class? No but hes solid. He reads the game well. He knows when to put his foot through it and when to play about with it.

Theres a reason we were the only team in for Mustafi. Theres a reason why Kolasinac was on a free and came to us. If he had been half as good as people made out Bayern would have been all over him.

Luiz. David Luiz was so good Chelsea decided an 18 year old Tomori who was playing in the Championship the year before was better equipped to help their cause.

Top Bottom