• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
this data science/ai inspired automaton football that is as efficient as dull to watch.

Imo this isn't the problem. Everyone is relying on data. And what's boring? The most boring matches are imo star studded possession based teams against low block underdogs or just simply bad teams from farmer leagues against each other. But that's got nothing to do with data supported match analysis or scouting, but the accumulation of talent not only in certain leagues but even certain teams across Europe due to financial doping.

It's the same phenomenon we've all seen during the last Euros. More teams meant smaller nations with naturally weaker squads. Usually they'd get eliminated during the qualification rounds and not even make the tournament. And what do they do in full knowledge of their weakness? Play a low block, hope to not even win but achieve three draws in the group stages and survive. And as much as a lot of us love an underdog overachieving story, e.g. watching Iceland games during the last Euros was boring as ****. Even Wales who tried to do a bit more due to at least a little bit of individual quality in especially Bale and Ramsey were rather dire in terms of entertainment value. Everyone I know says it is a neat achievement but at the same time loathes Greece won the Euros back then by parking the bus and Charisteas scoring from corners. Now we've got ten Greeces in the Euros.

Same has happened to club football, just not by the sort of natural disadvantage smaller nations have due to a smaller population pool, but due to money injecting into the game. Talent is by now not only poached from poor to rich leagues, but even in rich leagues from poor to rich clubs. It's an accumulation of money and talent, and talent is a big factor in the determination of playing style. Definitely not the only one, but a big one. So what's left is plumbers playing plumbers or the rich playing the poor, possession against low block and counter attacking. Got not really that much to do with data per se. Footbal has gotten more robotic, less free flowing, less creative, less magical - and data does play a role in that, but imo a secondary one.

Joestlaachmkr

Thomas Tuchel unbeaten in his first 13 games at Chelsea with 9 wins and 4 draws, 14 goals scored, only 2 conceded. The 13 games before Tuchel: 6 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses, 19 goals scored, 10 conceded. Without "his" players. Without any sort of pre-season or preparation. Immediate impact. With good transfers business, imo Chelsea will do very well with Tuchel at the helm.
I said 2-3 years ago that Tuchel would have been the best candidate to replace Wenger, but most members called him then overrated and stated that he’s not good enough for Arsenal. lol

ThePortugueseGunner

I would like to see us appointing a manager with an actual CV. Not necessarily one who has won championships or the Champions League, but one where you can see that his work actually improves teams to a certain level.

Arteta won't take us to glory. I would like to see Brendan Rodgers appointed. He almost won the PL with Liverpool (got unlucky), and he's been fantastic with Leicester, making them one of the best teams in England with consistency and quality. I still think the only reason Leicester didn't go to the Champions League last season was because of the Covid-19 break. It took their rhythm away from them.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Interested to see what Xabi Alonso going to do he got no managerial experience whatsoever at least mikel was assistant manager for 3 years and his managerial career been 50/50.

Toby

Did he? Didn't know that it's still not same level as the first team management but that makes things more interesting

Actually being in charge of a team is vastly better than being an assistant. Will be intersting to see how he does, seems to have done a good job at San Sebastian and is rated as a solid talent in the footie world.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Actually being in charge of a team is vastly better than being an assistant. Will be intersting to see how he does, seems to have done a good job at San Sebastian and is rated as a solid talent in the footie world.
Yes it's but in young teams players listen and don't have big egos like in first team. I'm more interested about his man management hopefully not as newbie as mikel first few months here.

Toby

Yes it's but in young teams players listen and don't have big egos like in first team. I'm more interested about his man management hopefully not as newbie as mikel first few months here.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

TRIGGER WARNING A-M:

Right if you do not want to see this look away now, please for your own mental well being if you do not want to see this do not scroll any lower. I'm about to post something about ah..... prepare yourself...... winner. I know I know, A-M, if you do not want to see this please do not look.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
TRIGGER WARNING A-M:

Right if you do not want to see this look away now, please for your own mental well being if you do not want to see this do not scroll any lower. I'm about to post something about ah..... prepare yourself...... winner. I know I know, A-M, if you do not want to see this please do not look.

Surprised that no one in AM cam here to post he would never join us *cough* @<<reed>> *cough* because we're skin as a club.

Toby

Will be interesting to see where he goes. He's currently the biggest available name out there but there's no job open at any top club. PSG and Chelsea just got new managers in, Ole seems fairly safe, if Koeman gets Wijnaldum that means he's probably safe at Barca for now, Inter and Milan are in safe hands, Juve seem to stick with Pirlo, Flick has been linked to the DFB job but Bayern said they won't let him go. Only one I could see opening up is the Real Madrid job.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah but Real Sociedad B is an actual Spanish lower division team.

They play in the Spanish equivalent of League 1/2 so it’s not like he’s Per just managing the kids.

He will be up against proper teams full of older players with actual managers.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

TRIGGER WARNING A-M:

FA Cup>Serie A. He's choked the CL finals twice. Mercurial Mikel is so clear.

Top Bottom