• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

isop

Fair points. Just something complicated in my mind at the time and I couldn't properly put it into words. Just that I think at this juncture a manager coming in with Serie A tactical and defensive thinking might not be a fit with fans out of patience with Arteta/Emery conservative playing styles and wanting a bit of Wengerball coming back into the mix. My wording there was even a bit clumsy with Conte because of his prior stint in the PL, but I think Chelsea is ok with both Italian and conservative play with their history of high profile Italians at the club in tandem with the Mourinho / John Terry era.

Good catch with Klopp, but I always felt his heavy metal philosophy was perfect for both the PL, as well as possible advancement on Arsène Wenger. Anyway, something in my mind was driving me towards resistance to Conte, and maybe Allegri also. Just something complex in a multidimensional sense to put into words.
Not every manager in Serie A is defensive though. Gasperini, S. Inzaghi and De Zerbi are some examples of ones who play great attacking, free flowing football.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I’m tryna to be more positive in life.
tenor.gif

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Should've posted this here:
If it’s possible I’d sack him for Flick. Bayern play 4-2-3-1 like our components are currently suited for and the way his team played was much more geared towards threatening opponents as much as possible and controlling them with fear than starting with the idea of safe possession in midfield to establish control. Clearly we aren’t Bayern but right now I think our forward assets are much more suited towards doing the damage fast than slowly and that’s where Mikel’s problems have come from.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I always wanted him at Arsenal and I know it's an unpopular opinion but I believe this is a coach with upside.

If he turned Arsenal into the Portuguese national team I'm sure most of you wouldn't be mad anyways. Doesn't seem he has anything lined up.

Last edited:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

I always wanted him at Arsenal and I know it's an unpopular opinion but I believe this is a coach with upside.

If he turned Arsenal into the Portuguese national team I'm sure most of you wouldn't be mad anyways. Doesn't seem he has anything lined up.
his football and style not suited at all for us the fans will turn against him so quick he good coach when you bring the players he want surprised he left Wolves so quick.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's Wolves connections with Mendes that get's them all the best Portuguese players, not Nuno.

If Nuno came here, he would be working with our main agent contact...Kia :lol:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

It's Wolves connections with Mendes that get's them all the best Portuguese players, not Nuno.
Was tongue in cheek. He's not coming here anyways.

We're gonna give ConeBoy here 200 mil over the summer instead.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service

I've never understood the fascination with him, he had some great players and still played incredibly boring conservative football.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Levy in his end of season notes said he wants to go back to exciting attacking football. Rules out Nuno.

He’s done poor this season and plays absolutely boring football.
I think the boring football tag he has gotten is an unfair one myself. Let's see what he does with his next club.

ChefMan21

Most gooners would probably rather see a attacking minded manager who plays attractive, free flowing football instead of a defensive 1-0 coach. But honestly, i wouldn’t mind having a more defensive manager like Allegri, Simeone or Conte taking charge - as long as he brings titles to the club. I would much rather see us going back to ”boring-boring Arsenal” instead of trying to play tiki-taka football with horrible results - if we are able to win titles with a more defensive approach. I actually think the norm that Arsenal must play attacking football is a bit far fetched.

Yeah, you could tell from Klopp’s days with Dortmund that his gegenpressen football would suit the EPL pretty well. Another thing with Klopp is that, he suits Liverpool just perfectly. Just as Wenger once did with us, Fergie with United, Mourinho with Chelsea and Pep with City.

That’s why i think it is important that our next manager is someone who fits in 100 percent with the club. Not only a manager who is a proven world class manager, and someone with a certain style of play. I also think it’s important that the next manager is someone who fits with the values of AFC, connects well with the fans and who enjoy life in London.
I'd like a manager who actually gets the importance of defence, and more specifically, uses defence as the first building block in a great attack. For all Wenger's exciting football style, I think some forget that a lot of that was built on an insanely good defensive unit of Cole, Adams, Keown, Dixon, Vieira, and Seaman (and in later years players like Campbell and Toure). You have a lot more freedom to attack if your defensive unit is of a very high quality. Not sure Luiz, Holding, Mustafi etc could bump any of those players tbh...

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

I thought you always wanted Pulis.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Nuno did an amazing job with Wolves. They were 15th in the Championship the season before he took over, winning the Championship, two 7th places finishes in the Premier League and a Europa League 1/4 final is exceptional. This season has been a struggle, they just haven't been able to replace Jota and Jimenez's goals.

The football was pretty dull but they will struggle to get a manager better than him. With their owners also scaling down their ambitions I think we may have seen the peak of the Wolves project.

Top Bottom