• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
This is the thing with Poch - highly unlikely he comes to Arsenal next

Yeah, I cant see Potch joining Arsenal anytime soon. That would be close to Vieira managing Sp**s IMO.

Think Potter is a genuine option for us if we let Arteta go. I reckon the other big clubs would all have their specific targets. The only club I would be weary of is Leicester, as I could see them making a move for Graham.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yeah, I cant see Potch joining Arsenal anytime soon. That would be close to Vieira managing Sp**s IMO.

Think Potter is a genuine option for us if we let Arteta go. I reckon the other big clubs would all have their specific targets. The only club I would be weary of is Leicester, as I could see them making a move for Graham.
I'd be very happy with Potter, I think he's more of a gamble than some on here think, but it's a gamble I would be willing to try. Conte is the obvious choice but I'm not sure how happy he'd be with our (very young) squad.

Pyres7

Poch already said he won't come here. Would prefer Potter who gives me Wenger vibes.
He said he would never manage Barca too but regretted it when it cost him the job there last year.

If our club was in a better position I think he would consider us, but you're probably right. Managing the current Arsenal isn't really worth burning bridges for.

Could see him going to United or Chelsea next.

GoonerBoy19

Potter is also shortlisted by Newcastle to replace Bruce Almighty, they have a good chance of landing him with a good project and funding.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Btw another one to keep an eye on is Gerardo Seoane of Bayer Leverkusen. Managed the step from Swiss League to Bundesliga easily, just as Bern, Leverkusen play mesmerizing attacking football and are one of the best and most attractive sides to watch this season. Really gets the best out of his attacking players like Diaby, Schick, Wirtz, etc. scoring the 2nd most goals (20) as of now as well as being defensively stable with only 7 goals against (among the Top 5 in BL). Also ranks among the illustruous group of managers who've got an average of above 2,00 points per game at every club.

Barry

Potter is also shortlisted by Newcastle to replace Bruce Almighty, they have a good chance of landing him with a good project and funding.
Would be a smart next move for Potter. Big budget, lower expectations and less pressure than at Arsenal or Sp**s. Big club as well. Could see him going to Newcastle and doing well.

SA Gunner

Would be a smart next move for Potter. Big budget, lower expectations and less pressure than at Arsenal or Sp**s. Big club as well. Could see him going to Newcastle and doing well.

Mostly agreed, apart for one thing.

I'd say pressure levels would be higher than both Arsenal and Sp**s.

Barry

Mostly agreed, apart for one thing.

I'd say pressure levels would be higher than both Arsenal and Sp**s.
That's interesting, do you think so? I kind of think they will be looking to do things relatively gradually - ie. Maybe targeting 8th next season, 6th after that, then Top 4 etc. I guess it depends how much they spend, but it seems a stretch that Newcastle will be looking at 4th this season or next.

SA Gunner

That's interesting, do you think so? I kind of think they will be looking to do things relatively gradually - ie. Maybe targeting 8th next season, 6th after that, then Top 4 etc. I guess it depends how much they spend, but it seems a stretch that Newcastle will be looking at 4th this season or next.

Well from what I've seen so far, Newcastle have access to as much as 190m in January without breaking FFP, and there are noises that they intend to use their might as soon as possible.

I liken Potter joining them, to Mark Hughes and Mancini's pressure levels when they were at City back in the early days. They needed to deliver European football almost immediately, or face the sack.

Basically, if Newcastle spend big... Potter will have a target on his back.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Plus, they won't want instant success, so he can pretty much raise their profile and leave if stuff gets too galatico-y.

El Duderino

makes zero sense for newcastle to come out swinging. A gradual approach would allow them to eventually break into the top 6 (and then 4) and now screw their wage bill royaly.

They already have a somewhat marquee player in Saint Maximin (and Joe Willock!), so you add a couple pieces here and there and you start building a team.

Barry

Well from what I've seen so far, Newcastle have access to as much as 190m in January without breaking FFP, and there are noises that they intend to use their might as soon as possible.

I liken Potter joining them, to Mark Hughes and Mancini's pressure levels when they were at City back in the early days. They needed to deliver European football almost immediately, or face the sack.

Basically, if Newcastle spend big... Potter will have a target on his back.
Yikes, if they are pushing £190m in the first window there will be yet another arms race in the PL... They have a lot of catching up to do, even to reach Arsenal though, let alone the current Top 4 clubs. Not saying they can't do it over time but seems unlikely it will be immediate. It's the law of diminishing returns with Billionaire owners as well. They've got to outspend City, Chelsea, ManU + spend better and smarter than Liverpool, Arsenal & Sp**s (+ Everton etc). Gets harder and harder to break through.

Barry

makes zero sense for newcastle to come out swinging. A gradual approach would allow them to eventually break into the top 6 (and then 4) and now screw their wage bill royaly.

They already have a somewhat marquee player in Saint Maximin (and Joe Willock!), so you add a couple pieces here and there and you start building a team.
Yeah I agree, that's sort of what I expect to happen - a gradual approach with a few big signings and some stepping stone players, rather than going full on PSG. If that's how they play it then Potter makes a lot of sense. Newcastle have a really bad squad at the moment, it's going to take them 4 windows to get where they want I reckon, maybe more if they don't get the right manager & DOF to start with. Ultimately I reckon it's a 5 year project if they want to be competing for the league.

El Duderino

Yeah I agree, that's sort of what I expect to happen - a gradual approach with a few big signings and some stepping stone players, rather than going full on PSG. If that's how they play it then Potter makes a lot of sense. Newcastle have a really bad squad at the moment, it's going to take them 4 windows to get where they want I reckon, maybe more if they don't get the right manager & DOF to start with. Ultimately I reckon it's a 5 year project if they want to be competing for the league.

Think we're about two seasons away of another mini-drop in form like we've seen recently, where top 4 was wide open. If Newcastle are wise, that's when they build on the foundations they can start laying now.

Hopefully Arsenal doesn't **** up again, because we missed one hell of a trick there by not going all in on a few targets.

Top Bottom