• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Warning. Long ass post.

Replying to @Macho only for the PSG part.
I turned into essay mode on Mikel halfway through, just for general audience. Nothing I say here is aimed at any individual (someone will no-doubt @Riou somewhere) or should be considered as a jab or something. I also don’t claim to know it all, just my observations in between my usual ****-posting.

If Mbappe is leaving and PSG are pursuing a rebuild job, I could see why they would want Mikel "The Solution" Arteta tbh.

His process will get them right back up there in 3/4 years. PSG can actually afford the win CL within 3 years package as well, so might not take him as long over there.

Tbh I dont think rebuilding at PSG would look anywhere near a rebuild at another club, let alone Arsenal.

PSG can and will throw unlimited funds at their squad as opposed to carefully assessing which player from the academy might do a job until they have room in their budget to buy a top class player. No need to rely on loans or cheap experienced players to help them get through a rebuild.

They won't need a Mikel for that and they don’t seem to have anything that resembles a long term squad building approach. If they did, why not stick with Pochettino.

They have the luxury that they are the only real (financial) force in a sub-top league where they know they have the ability to walk the league, even if there is the occasional blimp. Their chequebook lures world class players, even regular starters, away from top teams around Europe. They seem to acquire them almost regardless of whether they actually fit their team/a long term strategy. If it fails, bench/get rid and replace by spending even more money.

In regards to Mikel, I see the term 'chequebook manager' being thrown around sometimes (probably in jest), but I don't think that is a fair assessment.

In relation to Wenger, probably most managers could be deemed 'chequebook managers’, as what he managed to do on a shoestring will never be replicated. It commands an insane amount of respect. Also, it’s unfair to compare Mikel to Wenger, one of the greatest to grace the game. In 20 years (or CL 2023 :fcrossed:) we can have that conversation.

However, the unfortunate reality is that (modern) football requires you to spend in order to be and maintain competitive. The squadcost theory in the end will always hold true, regardless of a couple of blimps.

From what I gather, the intention of the club is that Mikel is not just rebuilding a squad, but partially rebuilding the foundations of this club. He is doing so by embedding and improving young talent. In order for this to work, the number one ingredient is the right (and more importantly) unified mindset.

For that you need two things: a clear, and consistent vision and strong leadership.

I believe that starting from Vinai downwards, everyone is fully committed to instilling these values by any means necessary. Whether the Kroenke’s are really commited longterm, remains to be seen.

How annoying a buzz term it may sound, the non-negotiables are key for the approach to succeed. This is why the Özil, Guendouzi, Aubameyang and the alleged rebellious clique cases have become central.

Everything that deviates from these key values and distorts the process (I assume they are something like commitment, sacrifice and leadership - things that I feel we sorely lacked over the years) needs to change. One way or another.

Since Mikel is a first-time manager and has nothing to show for it other than a glowing reference from Guardiola and the Manchester Kitman (I didnt want him here in 2018), it comes off arrogant and rookie when things clash and results in the table stay behind. The FA cup win didn’t change that. Winning one FA cup, just like winning one CL requires a heap of luck, whereas finishing high in the league for two decades displays true managerial ability.

If this was Pep Guardiola taking over Arsenal, I am personally convinced that we’d see more or less the same process, with way more money spent, as that would have been his #1 non-negotiable probably, but the same disciplinary standards and possible fallout within the team. We’ve seen examples at his other clubs.

Due to Pep’s stature, players may have been more susceptible to accepting his demands and perhaps a guy like Auba might’ve still been here as I truly don’t believe he is a bad apple. Things probably just went to a point of no return between him and Mikel, with Auba holding all the cards (contract-wise) and an exit turning out favourable for both parties.

Anyway, I think Mikel is here for the medium to long term and his personal aim is to get us back competing for the big trophies. If either the non-negotiables or the financial investment lags behind, it will most likely fail.

He has made mistakes though and has admitted to making them, but for me that’s part of the job. I can see what he is trying to do and I understand that it is a multi-step approach. I can get behind it as I believe the values he tries to instill are what will bring us success over the longterm. The club needs to make sure that these values are strong enough to remain in place when another manager is one day at the helm. Something that I feel teams like Bayern and Ajax have succeeded in.

As this topic can be quite volatile, again a disclaimer, nothing in the above is aimed directly at someone or meant to prove someone false or whatever. Just my two cents on Mikel and why I am behind him.

Oh, and if he sells Saliba sack him on the spot.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Honest question, what is it with Arsenal journalist in their mid thirties and silver chains? Stillman has one, Gunnerblog has one and now this Paxton fella.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'm not worried about Arteta leaving at this stage. You can rate him or not as a manager but he's clearly an intelligent and focused person.

He's in his first managerial job and he's reached the status of being the power man and decision maker at the club. That's a rarity at a big club.

Now he has the power he'll want to exploit it for the next couple of years and imprint his vision on the club. He'd be silly not to. The way PSG are he'd never have they level of authority, particularly not as still pretty much a novice.

If in 2-3 years time he's got us consistently top 4, maybe pushing for title every now and then and picking up the odd cup, his stock will be high, big clubs will be sniffing around him and he'll probably say 'Job done' in terms of his aims at Arsenal and move on.

To put it bluntly we're the club he builds his reputation at before moving on to an elite club. That reputation still needs quite a bit of work yet. He's doing well currently of course but we have to remember he's barely 6 months removed from nearly losing his job. His reputation as one of the up and coming young managers is far from set in stone yet.

Arteta and Arsenal is a marriage of convenience and we shouldn't be blind to that as fans ( He's not going to be building a 20 year plus dynasty like Arsène) but I don't think it's in either sides interest to end it anytime soon.
Good points.

I played Football Manager game when I was young, and usually started with some team that wasn't on top. If I think about a similar situation with Arteta and Arsenal, no way I would jump ship at a point where you have the youngest team in EPL and perform at top 4 level.

I would always see the project through, and only leave if it doesn't improve year after year or produce great chances at trophies. Someone might think that money will attract him, but it's not like that for everyone when they have so much money already. And Arsenal pay good wages too.

Also I can see Arteta being here for a long time if the project continues like I said above. Of course if it doesn't, he will leave at some point. But he has perfect situation here now.

I'm more inclined to think that these rumours about another manager are similar to players agents spewing rumours so they get a better deal.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Who the **** is Freddie Paxton?

Looks the type to post on here

mNENTUsw_400x400.jpg

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Warning. Long ass post.

Replying to @Macho only for the PSG part.
I turned into essay mode on Mikel halfway through, just for general audience. Nothing I say here is aimed at any individual (someone will no-doubt @Riou somewhere) or should be considered as a jab or something. I also don’t claim to know it all, just my observations in between my usual ****-posting.

Tbh I dont think rebuilding at PSG would look anywhere near a rebuild at another club, let alone Arsenal.

PSG can and will throw unlimited funds at their squad as opposed to carefully assessing which player from the academy might do a job until they have room in their budget to buy a top class player. No need to rely on loans or cheap experienced players to help them get through a rebuild.

They won't need a Mikel for that and they don’t seem to have anything that resembles a long term squad building approach. If they did, why not stick with Pochettino.

They have the luxury that they are the only real (financial) force in a sub-top league where they know they have the ability to walk the league, even if there is the occasional blimp. Their chequebook lures world class players, even regular starters, away from top teams around Europe. They seem to acquire them almost regardless of whether they actually fit their team/a long term strategy. If it fails, bench/get rid and replace by spending even more money.

In regards to Mikel, I see the term 'chequebook manager' being thrown around sometimes (probably in jest), but I don't think that is a fair assessment.

In relation to Wenger, probably most managers could be deemed 'chequebook managers’, as what he managed to do on a shoestring will never be replicated. It commands an insane amount of respect. Also, it’s unfair to compare Mikel to Wenger, one of the greatest to grace the game. In 20 years (or CL 2023 :fcrossed:) we can have that conversation.

However, the unfortunate reality is that (modern) football requires you to spend in order to be and maintain competitive. The squadcost theory in the end will always hold true, regardless of a couple of blimps.

From what I gather, the intention of the club is that Mikel is not just rebuilding a squad, but partially rebuilding the foundations of this club. He is doing so by embedding and improving young talent. In order for this to work, the number one ingredient is the right (and more importantly) unified mindset.

For that you need two things: a clear, and consistent vision and strong leadership.

I believe that starting from Vinai downwards, everyone is fully committed to instilling these values by any means necessary. Whether the Kroenke’s are really commited longterm, remains to be seen.

How annoying a buzz term it may sound, the non-negotiables are key for the approach to succeed. This is why the Özil, Guendouzi, Aubameyang and the alleged rebellious clique cases have become central.

Everything that deviates from these key values and distorts the process (I assume they are something like commitment, sacrifice and leadership - things that I feel we sorely lacked over the years) needs to change. One way or another.

Since Mikel is a first-time manager and has nothing to show for it other than a glowing reference from Guardiola and the Manchester Kitman (I didnt want him here in 2018), it comes off arrogant and rookie when things clash and results in the table stay behind. The FA cup win didn’t change that. Winning one FA cup, just like winning one CL requires a heap of luck, whereas finishing high in the league for two decades displays true managerial ability.

If this was Pep Guardiola taking over Arsenal, I am personally convinced that we’d see more or less the same process, with way more money spent, as that would have been his #1 non-negotiable probably, but the same disciplinary standards and possible fallout within the team. We’ve seen examples at his other clubs.

Due to Pep’s stature, players may have been more susceptible to accepting his demands and perhaps a guy like Auba might’ve still been here as I truly don’t believe he is a bad apple. Things probably just went to a point of no return between him and Mikel, with Auba holding all the cards (contract-wise) and an exit turning out favourable for both parties.

Anyway, I think Mikel is here for the medium to long term and his personal aim is to get us back competing for the big trophies. If either the non-negotiables or the financial investment lags behind, it will most likely fail.

He has made mistakes though and has admitted to making them, but for me that’s part of the job. I can see what he is trying to do and I understand that it is a multi-step approach. I can get behind it as I believe the values he tries to instill are what will bring us success over the longterm. The club needs to make sure that these values are strong enough to remain in place when another manager is one day at the helm. Something that I feel teams like Bayern and Ajax have succeeded in.

As this topic can be quite volatile, again a disclaimer, nothing in the above is aimed directly at someone or meant to prove someone false or whatever. Just my two cents on Mikel and why I am behind him.

Oh, and if he sells Saliba sack him on the spot.

Good stuff, even though I think disagree with some of it, specially it being a top down values thing. Mostly from my mistrust with people running anything of importance at Arsenal, bar Mertesacker, and he's at the academy, so who knows how'd he fair at a more important position.

The Saliba stuf on the athletic today gave me a bit of dread when you see that unlike Auba and Özil (ageing, big wages), he's a valuable asset as far as getting money back into the squad goes. The guendouzi stuff means we're missing out on a good heap of money as well, as his price is well below as his actual value.

When eventually Arteta leaves, I think Edu will take one out of the Ivan playbook and **** off back to Corinthians or something. Changing twenty something years of hiding behind the manager in Arsène is not something that can be changed like that if the replacements don't have spines themselves.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Think this young squad is tailor-made for him.

celebrate tottenham fc GIF by Tottenham Hotspur

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Pottah, just like I said 2 years ago. Just like I said 1 year ago. Just like i'm saying now.

It's blatant discrimination not bringing him in, a completely different level to the rat in charge now.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Learn about football then.

If you think I am sad enough to watch any football outside of Premier league then think again.

I suffered scouting Isak for one game and watched Sassalou was Atlanta other day and it was God awful. Rather watch MLB.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
If you think I am sad enough to watch any football outside of Premier league then think again.

I suffered scouting Isak for one game and watched Sassalou was Atlanta other day and it was God awful. Rather watch MLB.

Who the **** watches Sociedad and Sassuolo to "scout" Isak and Scamacca for his Arsenal fandom? Speak about sadness:lol:

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Potter or Italiano. Then get someone else than Edu too please, thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom