• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Going for Sarri or Howe is just sacking a manager and then going for someone else for the sake of it. No longevity in either of those. If Arteta goes out of the EL tonight for example and needs to be replaced in the summer you go for the very top or you persist with Arteta.
Even Arteta isn't bad enough to go out of a compeition a day early.

As for your theory it's ridiculous. It's like saying if you can't upgrade a pushbike for a Ferrari then you may as well keep the pushbike instead of opting for something like a Fiat.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Even Arteta isn't bad enough to go out of a compeition a day early.

As for your theory it's ridiculous. It's like saying if you can't upgrade a pushbike for a Ferrari then you may as well keep the pushbike instead of opting for something like a Fiat.

Hahaha ooops tomorrow night*

You analogy sadly doesn't work in this scenario. Because Arsenal football club is worthy of a top level manager. If there's nobody attainable in that bracket then you do not just settle for something mediocre for the sake of it. Said mediocre manager, say for example Howe won't turn us into title challengers. Sarri would be here for 2 years max, he offers no longevity and I doubt he'd get us winning big titles either.

You either keep Arteta and allow him to build or you sack him knowing you can get someone significantly better who will guarantee big titles in max 3 years. Otherwise there's no point. What you're essentially saying is you'd be happy chopping and changing managers, similar to where United have gone horribly wrong since SAF left. You've seen it hasn't worked with United why would you wish that upon this club?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

You analogy sadly doesn't work in this scenario. Because Arsenal football club is worthy of a top level manager. If there's nobody attainable in that bracket then you do not just settle for something mediocre for the sake of it. Said mediocre manager, say for example Howe won't turn us into title challengers. Sarri would be here for 2 years max, he offers no longevity and I doubt he'd get us winning big titles either.

You either keep Arteta and allow him to build or you sack him knowing you can get someone significantly better who will guarantee big titles in max 3 years. Otherwise there's no point. What you're essentially saying is you'd be happy chopping and changing managers, similar to where United have gone horribly wrong since SAF left. You've seen it hasn't worked with United why would you wish that upon this club?
No I'm basically saying that I am open for changing managers at any time provided on paper it looks an improvement. Ie. On paper Allegri looks better than Arteta. Would I swap? Yes. Does it guarantee success? Absolutely not.

But I wouldnt turn down a better option just because it doesn't fall into the top top category. A club languishing in 10th or whatever with no European football and a reduced budget isnt going to attract a top manager. But could it attract someone better than what I believe Arteta is offering? Yes.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Going for Sarri or Howe is just sacking a manager and then going for someone else for the sake of it. No longevity in either of those. If Arteta goes out of the EL tonight for example and needs to be replaced in the summer you go for the very top or you persist with Arteta.
Unless things were untenable like in winter 2020, I actually wouldn't sack Arteta for Sarri or Howe myself if I am honest.

I'd rather bank on Arteta learning whatever he had to learn this season and applying it next season.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Unless things were untenable like in winter 2020, I actually wouldn't sack Arteta for Sarri or Howe myself if I am honest.

I'd rather bank on Arteta learning whatever he had to learn this season and applying it next season.
We don't really know Howe is better so I would agree not to swap for him.

Allegri is a different story.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

We don't really know Howe is better so I would agree not to swap for him.

Allegri is a different story.
Yeah, top class manager wants to come you get him in today f*ck the project.

You and hairspray are pretty much saying similar things but still found a way to disagree somehow.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

For the record I think Howe and Sarri are alright, they'd probably get us playing like a unit immediately.

I just question how much better they are then Arteta and how likely they would have to be moved on in 18 months time. Both have questionable man management and really obvious negatives that come with them.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Not really buying Howe at all. Bournemouth actually spent a lot more money than people might realise yet they never really progressed much as a side and were still playing the same counter-attacking style by the end of his time there, and it had gotten pretty stale. Also I dunno why but his personality doesn't really seemed matched for dealing with a club like ours.

Out of all these managers suggested I still believe Benitez is the best option, in terms of realistic ones anyways. You'll not be able to convince me Sarri and certainly Howe are better.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Howe and sarri :lol: come on guys
Sarri not liked because he not a modern style coach or young but he is good coach his problem is his approach is likely same every game but wherever he go he done good things (Napoli-Empoli) or won major trophies (Chelsea-Juve). Howe is nothing manager i don't get why he mention.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not really buying Howe at all. Bournemouth actually spent a lot more money than people might realise yet they never really progressed much as a side and were still playing the same counter-attacking style by the end of his time there, and it had gotten pretty stale. Also I dunno why but his personality doesn't really seemed matched for dealing with a club like ours.

Out of all these managers suggested I still believe Benitez is the best option, in terms of realistic ones anyways. You'll not be able to convince me Sarri and certainly Howe are better.
Benitez is a good safe manager who will get you top 6 etc. Don’t think he would excite the fan base.

Think I was proven right with Carlo at Everton, clearly past it and treading water, midtable with us.

LG10

Howe you wanna see how he does at another club before you give him a chance, bournemouth looked like the perfect environment for him. We've seen these types of managers flop at their next club so often

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Howe's one of those that is probably going to fall into the ''You can't give him a top 6 job because he doesn't have the pedigree'' category.

It's a catch 22 situation because he can't get the experience without someone taking a punt on him.

I think he's got something about him but he strikes me as the sort of manager that'll either do a great job ( which he did at Bournemouth irrespective of their relegation) or he'll totally bomb.

I think locations a bit of a issue for him too. He doesn't like to be far from the south coast.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yeah, top class manager wants to come you get him in today f*ck the project.

You and hairspray are pretty much saying similar things but still found a way to disagree somehow.
No. Hairspray said we either get a top manager (Allegri/Pep/Klopp/Conte/Zidane) or we stick with Mikel. My view is that if there is a better manager than Mikel who isn't regarded as "top" and in that above list we shouldn't necessarily ignore that.

Howe wouldn't be on my list but for example if Arteta doesn't win the EL it wouldn't be too hard to find a manager in between Mikel-Klopp to do a better job. Emery managed it and he wasn't top. Although it didn't end well he still preformed superior. Albeit didn't win anything.

This can't be an Arteta project. It has to be an Arsenal one. Given that the average manager stays in a job about 2 years we need to be planning for not just Mikel but the next one or two managers whoever they may be.

Reactions: Kav

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Because sitting in 10th in the league is enough evidence to make me believe that we will not be moving closer to the top 4 anytime soon. And that after 16-17 months (3 months studying the players videos etc during quarantine) he doesn't know his best centre back partnership. He doesn't know his best front 3. He doesn't seem to know how and when to make subs.

Personally I just don't see enough in him and given the managerial careers are short I don't mind rolling the dice to try someone else. Football is different from it was in the past. If managers can't improve sides in an 18 month period it's very unlikely they will do it after 3-4 years when the players are sick of the same voice.

If he comes 7th and wins the EL. Definately deserves to stay. But how can you find any reason for a novice manager to stay in one of the biggest clubs in England finishing 10th behind Villa/Everton/West Ham etc and no European football. That isn't acceptable. It wasn't for Emery. Why should it be for Mikel?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Because sitting in 10th in the league is enough evidence to make me believe that we will not be moving closer to the top 4 anytime soon. And that after 16-17 months (3 months studying the players videos etc during quarantine) he doesn't know his best centre back partnership. He doesn't know his best front 3. He doesn't seem to know how and when to make subs.

Personally I just don't see enough in him and given the managerial careers are short I don't mind rolling the dice to try someone else. Football is different from it was in the past. If managers can't improve sides in an 18 month period it's very unlikely they will do it after 3-4 years when the players are sick of the same voice.

If he comes 7th and wins the EL. Definately deserves to stay. But how can you find any reason for a novice manager to stay in one of the biggest clubs in England finishing 10th behind Villa/Everton/West Ham etc and no European football. That isn't acceptable. It wasn't for Emery. Why should it be for Mikel?

People moan about selections but we've needed a lot of squad rotation this season due to the amount of games played in such a short period. Luiz, Holding and Gabriel have all pretty much played the same minutes.

He does know his best front line, they just haven't all been fit regularly. It's pretty clear he prefers Laca up top, Saka, Ode and then ESR. But again you require a lot of rotation.

It sounds to me like you want the United approach where we change manager every year or two and give them 150m a time to try and do something. Sadly it doesn't work.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Howe's one of those that is probably going to fall into the ''You can't give him a top 6 job because he doesn't have the pedigree'' category.

It's a catch 22 situation because he can't get the experience without someone taking a punt on him.

Never understood that with the younger gen of English managers. Just because the last one was made up of Pardews and Allardyces doesn't mean Howe and Potter are the same in terms of not being cut out for better football and bigger clubs. It's not always the best option to go for young, rather unproven managers, but as e.g. clubs in Germany do that too often, English clubs don't do it often enough and they should probably take a page out of each others books.

Ridiculously guys like Rodgers suffer from that, too. He's bottled his Liverpool job, but definitely got on, did well at Celtic and is now doing well at Leicester, but some would still rather go for some foreign hype of the week. E.g. imo Potch isn't any better than Rodgers, but to some still the best thing since sliced bread.

I think he's got something about him but he strikes me as the sort of manager that'll either do a great job ( which he did at Bournemouth irrespective of their relegation) or he'll totally bomb.

I think locations a bit of a issue for him too. He doesn't like to be far from the south coast.

Have to agree with this re: Howe though. He strikes me as in similar mold to Christian Streich, who has done a tremendous job for Freiburg in the last iirc 7 years, but whom I'm certain of will not work out anywhere else.

Top Bottom