• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Can someone explain to me why Graham Potter is so highly rated?

Isn't he just a bottom-mid table manager? I don't understand what he's done to beat Ten Hag in the poll.
Ten Hag seems like the most likely next Klopp and this guy seems... average? Unless I'm missing something.
Because its Graham

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Can someone explain to me why Graham Potter is so highly rated?

Isn't he just a bottom-mid table manager? I don't understand what he's done to beat Ten Hag in the poll.
Ten Hag seems like the most likely next Klopp and this guy seems... average? Unless I'm missing something.
He's got Brighton at 9th playing good footy and always gives the top six teams a fight. Would say he's the only PL manager that's definitely got their team punching above their weight apart from Klopp maybe.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Potter seems the obvious one. One thing that's a slight warning sign to me is that he really favors a wingback setup, usually with some variation of 3 cm's and 2 forwards. Tbh I don't know how well that suits our current squad seeing we don't have any clear cut wing backs and Saka, ESR and Martinelli all favors/work best as wingers which his setup doesn't have. It's not adapting tactics to his squad either, he favored the same setup in Sweden with Östersund. There's also the slight red flag on experience. He's not that experienced to be honest and certainly in dealing with so called stars.

Christophe Galtier is one I'd look at. He has plenty of experience and pedigree and is tactically versatile. Knows how to win and isn't reliant on any big fee signings. He took over relegation threatened St Etienne in December 2009 after being assistant coach to the then fired Alain Perrin.
  • Kept them up in the first season
  • Finished top 10 in the consecutive 7 seasons, 4 of which was European places
  • Ended a 32 year long trophy draught, wining the Coupe de la Ligue in 2013
Left St Etienne after the 16/17 season being at that moment the currently longest serving coach in the league and was appointed as manager of 18th placed Lille in December -17.
  • Kept Lille up with a 17th placed finished in the 17/18 season
  • 2nd after PSG in 18/19
  • 4th in 19/20
  • Won the league in 20/21
Two days after winning the league title, he resigned as manager, stating: "I simply have the deep belief that my time is up here.". Signed as manager for Nice, who'd finished 9th in 20/21

Nice is currently 2nd in Ligue 1 (though Marseille have a game in hand).
Galtier has been my personal choice to take over from Arteta for the last 14 months. He has had a very impressive career and got all his teams punching well above their weight consistently.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Once again, Wenger to PSG shouldn't happen...they are the exact oil club model, that he hates.

Will be sad if he goes there :(

ChefMan21

Suggested Ange way back in 2019, and then a few times thereafter:

These are pretty old articles on him but a lot of it still stands:

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Let's see what Arteta does in the back end of this season first, but I like the AM managerial shortlist options I have to say.

Ten Hag as top choice;
Gautier (who I'd not really heard of) next
Potter as the PL experienced option;
Postecoglu as the wildcard.

Is there a situation where Southgate becomes available, but not as damaged goods after the World Cup? Maybe but that's gonna be v. unlikely.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Ange Postecoglou please.
Other thing about Ange is he elite at recruitment. Very rarely has a failure, it’s been the same at all his clubs. He understands what he needs for his system so well. He has brought in about 16 players at Celtic this year and they looked like a cohesive team within a couple of months. He has bought 4 Japanese players that are playing in a European league for the first time, all of whon have hit the ground
running and a couple are stars of the team. That’s unheard of give the difficulties many Japanese players have adapting to European leagues and culture. And he brought all the japanese players in for less than what he sold Eduoard to palace for.

Top Bottom