• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Marc Overmars to Return?

Will Riou overload on nostalgia if Overmars comes back?

• Yes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Definitely

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The title "Technical Director" can surely be superseded by "Director of Football"

Dunno if Overmars is any good

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@Rex Banter i think what speaks the most for Overmars is the development of the market value of the squad. Before he took the reins ajax squad was always hovering around 100M value, now its been around 300M for a few years, even 500M for a season when they eventually sold De Ligt and Frenkie. Thats a big deal for a club from a small market. He made Ajax international again.

Would be ideal as we have one of the better academies in England.

If we aren’t going to play them might as well sell them for bank.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Calma, I said #Razorist2021. :shivering:
tenor.gif

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

We do have the worst fans in the world, yes...but maybe Overmars is a miracle worker, I back him!

Tbh, our fans can be OTT but I don't think we're THAT bad. Put it this way, despite mediocre league form it's only really after the league loss to Burnley that I feel the tide started turning against Arteta.

This is despite honestly dreadful underlying stats and continuing poor league form till that point. Then again my biggest exposure to fans is through this forum and podcasts apparently there are some real nutters on Twitter and I forgot Facebook but mostly I just see a lot of "play Özil" lol.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I was watching an Overmars interview from 2013 and I love that he still calls Arsène, Mr Wenger...it's amazing the respect that Arsène had, Kolo does this too and it always warms my heart to hear if i'm honest.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Overmars and Van der Sar clearly work well together. Theres talk of Van der Sar looking out of Ajax and into something else.

Obviously I have no idea what any of them are like but the way they have conducted business for Ajax over the last few years does look good.

They look like 2 people who wont be bought and sold by agents. They also have a huge advantage of being able to lure a couple of good players from the Dutch league to us which could help start some kind of image that we are a good place for young players to develop.

I have no problem being a stepping stone club. You dont want to be it all the time but I'd much rather be that than a retirement home for washed up has beens who just want to pick up their 100k a week or more and live in London.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I mentioned Overmars as a possible director of football candidate (or some other directoral capacity) about a week ago, surprised to see rumours come in so soon afterwards.

I'd be pretty content with it, good track record with Ajax as a talent spotter and budget manager. Someone who'd not just rely on the ex-player status but actually have the merit as well.

With Luis Campos having departed Lille, though, it's hard not to look at him as a prime target instead.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
What’s his pedigree like @Dutch D @razörist @krengon ?

Remember he wasn’t popular a while back with Ajax fans but that was before they started doing well in the CL.
Not a fan, honestly. He hasn't been able to create a balanced squad for several years in a row now. He had to rely on ingenuity of successive trainers to repair those imbalances (Bosz put Sinkgraven LB from CM and Mazraoui RB, Ten Hag is playing Tadic at ST and playing CB's in CM). Has a tendency to buy a lot of obviously mediocre players (Labyad, Huntelaar, Klaiber, Alvarez to name a few) sometimes for quite significant money, although I must admit there is always a risk and sometimes it doesn't work out. He did hit the jackpot twice this season with Kudus and Antony, but I've been complaining all summer that we are light on the wings and lack a creative cm, which is what really hurt us in the CL.

I think he's quite a good manager of an organization, though. There is clear structure, transfer dealings are generally early and solid. He pro-actively makes sure our star players are tied down to long term contracts and he is great at selling players at a premium.

He does seem to improve a bit every season with transfer dealings, but there hasn't been a summer where I thought the squad had every position adequately covered (without judging quality of the players).

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Not a fan, honestly. He hasn't been able to create a balanced squad for several years in a row now. He had to rely on ingenuity of successive trainers to repair those imbalances (Bosz put Sinkgraven LB from CM and Mazraoui RB, Ten Hag is playing Tadic at ST and playing CB's in CM). Has a tendency to buy a lot of obviously mediocre players (Labyad, Huntelaar, Klaiber, Alvarez to name a few) sometimes for quite significant money, although I must admit there is always a risk and sometimes it doesn't work out. He did hit the jackpot twice this season with Kudus and Antony, but I've been complaining all summer that we are light on the wings and lack a creative cm, which is what really hurt us in the CL.

I think he's quite a good manager of an organization, though. There is clear structure, transfer dealings are generally early and solid. He pro-actively makes sure our star players are tied down to long term contracts and he is great at selling players at a premium.

He does seem to improve a bit every season with transfer dealings, but there hasn't been a summer where I thought the squad had every position adequately covered (without judging quality of the players).

Very interesting, good to get a different view on it. How involved is he in transfers at Ajax, are there lots of levels to it with scouting and the like?

Was just wondering if he’s likely to take on that kind of thing himself here or revamp our scouting department.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Manutd targeting Luis Campos Sp**s also want DOF and we interested mean we want someone with European knowledge experienced even if we stuck with edu.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Very interesting, good to get a different view on it. How involved is he in transfers at Ajax, are there lots of levels to it with scouting and the like?

Was just wondering if he’s likely to take on that kind of thing himself here or revamp our scouting department.
It seems like quite a few signings have been put forward by the trainer recently. Ajax scouting has become less prominent it seems, but not sure tbh.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Some suggesting Overmars taking Huss's role or making it more senior would be silly. Another Raul/Sven esque power struggle between him and Edu. I'd love to sack Edu and bring Overmars in though.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom