• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Marcos Roberto Silveira Reis

Sammer

Established Member
Ratinho said:
Anyway, isn't Hildebrand out of contract at the end of the season? Why would he be around £5m if he would be free in 6 months after that?

My latest info on this is: Hildebrandt´s contract expires End of 2005 (the year, not the season).

This means: Stuttgart will, if the contract does not get renewed, sell him at the end of the season.

Clubs that are interested are:

-Bayern Munich (confirmed)
-Manchester United (rumours)

Asterix

Established Member
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=316583&cc=3436

Have a read of this article - very good analysis of what Kilnsman is doing with the German squad. Even if yuo don't read it all, read the bit next to the picture of Moritz Volz (now there's someone who would be useful against Rosenborg). The German keeping coach, Andreas Kopke, held a clear the air meeting with Kahn and Lehmann, and Hildebrand too. Some see this, and other related events, as an indication Hildebrand may start in goal in Germany 2006, so he is very highly rated by those who should know. Would we buy him with jens in our squad as well though? I can't quite see it, although I would like it to happen - he's young but talented and could embark on a Seamanesque career at Arsenal.

With regard to Marcos, I thought we were strongly linked to him when Dave left but there were transfer and contract issues. I think we came very close to signing him in fact. In answer to some inquiries above he had a great World Cup 2002, but playing in Brazil since then has kept his profile lower than others such as Dida. He pulled off some blinding saves against turkey and in the final itself, including one where he tipped the ball onto the post at full stretch, which was so good the commentators didn't realise he'd done it util several replays had passed. he also seemed to command his defence very well, something we could do with at the moment.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ratinho said:
Didn't he spend £5m on Lauren? Cole came through the reserves, Campbell was free, and Kolo was virtually unknown. When he arrived, he had the back four provided for him, for the first season or 2, and it is only now that Keown has moved that we are very light.

This season, and possibly next, will show us if Wenger is capable of buying well defensively, as he may have some money to actually spend.

Anyway, isn't Hildebrand out of contract at the end of the season? Why would he be around £5m if he would be free in 6 months after that?
Lauren was actually bought for 7.2 million.

gooner#1

Sammer said:
lee1001 said:
More importantly if Hildebrand is so good according to most people in this forum why haven't we been linked? And why isn't he in the Germany squad?

He is in the german squad. Although he is Germany´s 3rd choice keeper, he has been outstanding since 2003. Broke Kahn´s all-time-record of not conceding any goal for over 10 games. Hildebrandt will play during the Asia tour of the german national team in December/January.

I am convinced, that ManU is looking at him. Caroll f*cked up yesterday (again) will be only an interm-choice in my view. Fergie was sincerely impressed with Hildebrandt - and he might be just the long-term-solution ManU (and Arsenal?) is looking at.

He is 25 now - with no real weakness, excellent shot stopper and great at positioning and reading a game. He has CL & national team experience....and costs about 5-6 million pounds.

A steal in my view.
You know your facts Sammer mate.Maybe you like Hildebrandt so much because he is German like you ? :wink:

seanconvey66

GoonerGurjit said:
asajoseph said:
Frankly, if we could get Hildebrand for 6 mil or less, I'd see no reason NOT to buy him.

Hildebrandt is definitely my first choice but Ajax's Stekelenberg is a close second.

Definetley but if we want a stop gap first its got to be Van Der Saar. Fulham have said they are going to sell him in January, not cup tied, massive experience, hes won the CL before, Dutch no1, be a steal as hes out of contract in the summer so be a million or so. Definetley get him then maybe Hilderbrant in a year or two when the contract runs down.

Asterix

Established Member
If Hildebrand goes anywhere in this transfer window I don't think it'll be us. We've already got Jens - his competition for the German team. Timo is playing regularly for his German team and he'd want to go somewhere he'd walk into the first team, such as Man Utd unfortunately. If he came to us he'd probably want to see Jens gonig past him in the other direction, and I just can't see tha hapenning at the moment.

lee1001

Established Member
Spinksy said:
He pulled off some blinding saves against turkey and in the final itself, including one where he tipped the ball onto the post at full stretch, which was so good the commentators didn't realise he'd done it util several replays had passed.

I remember that save, real fingertips job. Outstanding save.

A

Anonymous

malagar said:
we could get Hildebrand in the summer - would be perfect

I really don't know what AW sees in these has-beens.
I would have just about settled for Toldo, but Marcos got dropped from
the Brazillian first-team for Christ sakes.

Why? Just why?

Sammer

Established Member
gooner#1 said:
Sammer said:
lee1001 said:
More importantly if Hildebrand is so good according to most people in this forum why haven't we been linked? And why isn't he in the Germany squad?

He is in the german squad. Although he is Germany´s 3rd choice keeper, he has been outstanding since 2003. Broke Kahn´s all-time-record of not conceding any goal for over 10 games. Hildebrandt will play during the Asia tour of the german national team in December/January.

I am convinced, that ManU is looking at him. Caroll f*cked up yesterday (again) will be only an interm-choice in my view. Fergie was sincerely impressed with Hildebrandt - and he might be just the long-term-solution ManU (and Arsenal?) is looking at.

He is 25 now - with no real weakness, excellent shot stopper and great at positioning and reading a game. He has CL & national team experience....and costs about 5-6 million pounds.

A steal in my view.
You know your facts Sammer mate.Maybe you like Hildebrandt so much because he is German like you ? :wink:

How stupid would that be? Do you like Scholes and the Neville Sisters, because their are english?

Liking someone because of his nationality is pure stupidity in my view...so to answer your question: no.

Vice versa: if Wenger would be looking at Klose or Schneider, I would say: hell no ! There are enough crappy german players around. But Hildebrandt is definately top class.

omdtm

As I´m brazilian, I can watch him in a lot more games than most of you in the forum... Well I can say he´s no better than Lehmann is... Just a waste of time and money :wink:

omdtm

omdtm said:
As I´m brazilian, I can watch him in a lot more games than most of you in the forum... Well I can say he´s no better than Lehmann is... Just a waste of time and money :wink:

I was talking about Marcos anyway...

Well, if we are to go for an experient Goalkeeper, we should go for Toldo or Van der Sar

Sammer

Established Member
omdtm said:

I think you have a good point. And your point reveals a deeper problem of internet forums:

many people talk about international players and probably only see them in big international tournaments and the CL/UEFA (most of them snippets anyway).

So Marcos pulling off a super-spectacular save in 2002 is enough for people claiming that he would be an improvement etc.
Sorry, but that´s too much armchair-talking here.

Anyway, thanks for your insight omdtm, I would trust your information a lot more.

PS: Kahn was an outstanding keeper in 2002, surely the worlds best at the time....but look at him now, he is in a sorry state.

Top Bottom