• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Markus Schubert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
An option might be that Stuttgart is confident U19 keeper Sebastian Hornung can take the No. 1 spot after one or two seasons with the first team as No. 2/3. In this light a one or two season loan of Schubert via Arsenal could make sense. Although I assume in that case Stuttgart would rather get an over 30, more experienced keeper as stop gap rather than a 21 year old.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Why? Don’t see the point in ignoring good targets just because a former employee found them.

Yeah, it's not like Sven is the only one in the world who knows about these players. And I don't know of any club that would immediately end their interest in players just because their head of recruitment or chief scout left. If a player is a good fit, you should move forward.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Schubert is taller than Peter Shilton (1.84 meters to 1.83). Taller than Ray Clemence too. Gordon Banks was just marginally taller. Same with Keylor Navas. Spain did alright with Iker Casillas and Víctor Valdés. I mean, we've got people rejecting analytics but they worry about the height of a goalkeeper?
Leno is 6'3 and even he struggled with high balls into the box this season, it's probably his main weakness. It's not churlish to suggest that a shorter keeper might have trouble in the PL, talented though he may be.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He's free and he's young, what's there to argue about. If he's good, great, if he's not, no big deal.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Leno is 6'3 and even he struggled with high balls into the box this season, it's probably his main weakness. It's not churlish to suggest that a shorter keeper might have trouble in the PL, talented though he may be.

Someone's physical height is not necessarily an indication of how high they might be able to jump. I mean, Spud Webb won the first NBA dunk contest and he was 5'7". Athleticism is really more important.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Someone's physical height is not necessarily an indication of how high they might be able to jump. I mean, Spud Webb won the first NBA dunk contest and he was 5'7". Athleticism is really more important.

In volleyball, Earvin Ngapeth is only 1.94m which is slightly under average for outside hitters, yet he's been considered the best over the last years. Heigth surely isn't everything.

The deciding factor in the Schubert case will be that he's adamant on a guaranteed starting spot. So Arsenal would have to propose a very clear plan in terms of loans over the next couple of seasons. And this demand shouldn't be taken too lightly; Schubert was willing to trick Dresden into giving him a starting spot by promising a contract extension - something he then never did.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

It's not just about jumping, you need a keeper who has a presence in the box who can command his area.

This , pretty easy to stop a short keeper from commanding his box . You could stop him from jumping if you know how .

Reactions: A_G

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This , pretty easy to stop a short keeper from commanding his box . You could stop him from jumping if you know how .

Was always the Achilles heel of Casillas and to a much, much lesser extent Ospina. Iker was possibly the greatest shot stopper I’ve ever seen but give me Kahn every day of the week, great all round keeper.

It’s why I’m so high on Emi, he’s a great shot stopper but also a big gangly bast*rd who’s thrives this year in a largely aerial league.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
It's not just about jumping, you need a keeper who has a presence in the box who can command his area.

Who had more presence in the box and command of his area than Peter Shilton, who was slightly shorter than Schubert? The same goes for Pat Jennings. Gordon Banks was just a smidgen taller. Jorge Campos was just 1.68 meters (5'6"), but his leaping ability, athleticism, acrobatic style, speed off the line and ability to organize a defense made him one of the best goalkeepers of his generation.

Being tall in itself doesn't give you presence or command. That's a product of intelligence and athleticism. Obviously being tall has its advantages, but if it were just a matter of being tall, they could recruit from the NBA.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

I think it is more important to be dominant height wise as a keeper in a contact sport like football.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I think it is more important to be dominant height wise as a keeper in a contact sport like football.

Yet some of the greatest goalkeepers of all time have been around the same height as Schubert (including the two greatest English goalkeepers). Being very tall is an advantage, but there are so many other things that go into being a good goalkeeper. It's ridiculous to reject someone solely based on them not being a certain height.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Yet some of the greatest goalkeepers of all time have been around the same height as Schubert (including the two greatest English goalkeepers). Being very tall is an advantage, but there are so many other things that go into being a good goalkeeper. It's ridiculous to reject someone solely based on them not being a certain height.

I agree, was simply responding to the basketball comparison. I'd rather a quality keeper than a tall one. I know nothing of this guy though.

Impact

Established Member
This is a non-issue. Third choice goalkeeper for under a £1 million. If Schubert becomes any good, great but chances are he'll never become a big time player here. Low-risk signing.

Height is definitely a problem though. Top keepers tend to be 6 ft 2 plus in the modern game. All the talk of Shilton etc is redundant.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I agree, was simply responding to the basketball comparison. I'd rather a quality keeper than a tall one. I know nothing of this guy though.

Ah, well the basketball comparison was in response to the idea that he might have trouble responding to high balls in the box. It was basically a way of illustrating that you don't have to be tall to reach a formidable level of elevation. Athleticism, timing and intelligence are more important.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Looks like Zieler (goalie from Stuttgart) is going back to Hannover.

So maybe Mislintat have convinced Schubert to join Stuttgart and be the Nr.1 there?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Sven and Arsenal took the L. i hope he don't become world class in future because he really highly rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom