• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Marquinhos: A No Marq?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

1659825395682.png

By Art de Roché
3h ago

Fewer than 24 hours after Mikel Arteta’s first team beat Crystal Palace 2-0, the Spaniard was present at Meadow Park as two of his senior squad members turned out for the under-21s.

Early last season, Eddie Nketiah and Folarin Balogun were given game time in Premier League 2 to keep sharp and match fit. This time around, Marquinhos and Takehiro Tomiyasu started a 3-1 victory over Manchester United.

Under-21s head coach Mehmet Ali, who replaced Kevin Betsy last month after joining as his assistant in January, has been in dialogue with the first team and there are clear instructions for his team to prepare players for Arteta’s style.

“Kevin was outstanding at giving the players a licence and freedom to express themselves within a team structure,” Ali said post-match. “That was one of his biggest strengths along with linking the academy and what Mikel was looking for.

“Before I even got the role, I spoke to first-team staff as well as academy staff to get an understanding of what they wanted from the under-21s this year. It could change throughout the season, but we try to be a fluid 4-3-3, be aggressive without the ball, try and get into dangerous areas to dominate the game.”

That communication continued ahead of the opening weekend of the season.

“Marquinhos’ first training session with us was (on Friday),” Ali said. “He’s been with the first team and working very hard. I got a really good brief from Albert (Stuivenberg, first-team assistant manager) and the first-team staff on what they wanted from him, then it was my job to relay that information to him and make sure it links with what he’s doing with the first team.”

The 19-year-old Brazilian featured for Arteta in pre-season, but competitive first-team opportunities could be scarce with Bukayo Saka, Gabriel Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe, Nicolas Pepe and Reiss Nelson as wide options. Premier League 2 appears an appropriate proving ground before the Europa League begins next month.

GettyImages-1413158441-scaled.jpg

Arteta, who saw the first team beat Palace on Friday, was at Meadow Park on Saturday (Photo: David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

Marquinhos’ physical strength is what stood out at Meadow Park. Receiving the ball on the halfway line with a man on his back, he was able to hold off the challenge, spin and drive into the final third.

He tended to cut back onto his left foot, so when Matt Smith laid the ball onto the Brazilian, it came as a surprise when he attacked around the outside of his opposition full-back and shot with his right foot. Goalkeeper Dermot Mee could not hold the strike and Khayon Edwards reacted quickly to equalise.

Arteta prizes unpredictability in players, so showing promise on the inside and outside will benefit Marquinhos.

Just before half-time, he received another Smith pass and allowed the midfielder to overlap before drifting inside to shoot. He later came off the right to place a shot into the far corner after his initial effort was blocked and then picked up an assist, playing an outside-of-the-boot pass into Miguel Azeez who made it 3-1.

“He’s a left-footed inverted winger playing off the right,” said Ali of Marquinhos. “He’s got the licence to come inside and combine with the centre-forward or get shots off, but we try to have aggressive full-backs and midfielders who also support at the right times.

“You see Bukayo (Saka)’s goal (against Palace), I know it was an own goal, but he goes on the outside, gets a cross in and it’s 2-0 to the first team. He (Marquinhos) has the freedom to decide whether he goes inside or out, but it’s our job to make sure we’re getting the ball to our front-half players and then letting them show what they can do.”

Patience will be key with Marquinhos. He impressed but there were moments when his youth was clear. At times, he was trying to buy fouls that were not there as well as rushing long passes. It is also not clear where his short-term opportunities may come from.

“That information hasn’t been relayed to me,” Ali said. “I’m sure the first team will have a plan. Our job in the under-21s is to be flexible and adaptable for whatever the first team needs.”

Behind Marquinhos, however, there was a player who has already proven his first-team credentials.

Ali’s earlier point about aggression without the ball was evident immediately against United. In the opening 10 minutes, Tomiyasu showed his anticipation to pick up loose passes in the opposition half when Arsenal’s press (led by James Olayinka stepping up from midfield) was successful.

GettyImages-1412954154-scaled.jpg

Tomiyasu, left, with Albert Sambi Lokonga (Photo: Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

“We’re always guided by the first team in terms of players coming down and he (Tomiyasu) was great,” Ali added. “Even yesterday in training, his application. We had a team meeting this morning, his focus, eye contact and body language, he’s a true professional and that’s why he is where he is. It’s great for our lads to see that. In terms of his performance, he did everything we asked of him.”

The Japan international was brought off at half-time in what appeared to be a planned substitution. He had looked assured in and out of possession. These being his first minutes of the season, the execution was not always pinpoint, but he held his own and as he usually did last season, did not restrict his play to the touchline.

He moved into more central areas to receive the ball in Arsenal’s defensive, middle and attacking thirds, which helped maintain control.

It will likely be a matter of building match sharpness and fitness for Tomiyasu before he returns to the first team. That being said, he may face more stern competition in defence than last season.

For Marquinhos, he should have shown enough to merit interest from the on-looking Arteta, who will be hoping the under-21s can continue to smooth the passage to the first team.

ASIF

Marquinhos has just scored 2 goals for the under 21 at half time against westham.
Its 2-1 at the break.He had 1 goal n 2 assist last game against utd..He is just too good.I can see him getting fast tracked to the first team pretty fast..Edu has done it again..

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Marquinhos has just scored 2 goals for the under 21 at half time against westham.
Its 2-1 at the break.He had 1 goal n 2 assist last game against utd..He is just too good.I can see him getting fast tracked to the first team pretty fast..Edu has done it again..

Under 21 level is garbage. I wouldn't read anything into it. Full of players who will end up in league 1 and league 2.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He too good for this level. Need to be gone on loan here at u21 he'll end season with 20 goals or more lol.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Under 21 level is garbage. I wouldn't read anything into it. Full of players who will end up in league 1 and league 2.
I would read something into it. He could have 0+0 from two matches, but he has now 3+2 and the 2nd match isn't even finished.

ASIF

Marquinhos has just arrived and hit the ground running..You atleast have to watch the highlights to see how much he was bossing the United game.Im not saying he should be starting but he can make the bench rather then Niles and Cedric with the 5 substitution this season.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Marquinhos has just arrived and hit the ground running..You atleast have to watch the highlights to see how much he was bossing the United game.Im not saying he should be starting but he can make the bench rather then Niles and Cedric with the 5 substitution this season.

He's obviously too good for this level, but that doesn't necessarily make him good enough for the bench right now. Reiss Nelson stood out like a sore thumb at this level and has hardly done anything since moving up. Countless examples over the years.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He's obviously too good for this level, but that doesn't necessarily make him good enough for the bench right now. Reiss Nelson stood out like a sore thumb at this level and has hardly done anything since moving up. Countless examples over the years.
Just seen his goals and they’re literally headers from 5 yards out. You’d think he was Messi with the reaction online.

We want a winger for a reason, neither Teta or Edu think Pepe/Nelson/Marquinhos are good enough to compete for that RW spot.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Just seen his goals and they’re literally headers from 5 yards out. You’d think he was Messi with the reaction online.

We want a winger for a reason, neither Teta or Edu think Pepe/Nelson/Marquinhos are good enough to compete for that RW spot.
Twitter reaction or what you're talking about? Haven't seen the goals.

I assume they want Marquinhos to adjust to England and Arsenal in every way, and might loan him in January. But now that Nelson is also injured, and if he performs well in U21, he might play in some easy UEL or Carabao games.

Of course we want a winger.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals

So he needs to be Nr. 2 behind Saka if Pepe leaves. Makes no sense to keep him as Nr. 3 with games for the U23. Would be a wasted season.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko

So he needs to be Nr. 2 behind Saka if Pepe leaves. Makes no sense to keep him as Nr. 3 with games for the U23. Would be a wasted season.
Marquinhos going Martinelli route (hopefully without the injury) as predicted by Xhaka
“He reminds me of Gabi Martinelli when he first came, everyone was saying ‘yeah he will go to the under-23s first’ and stuff like this, but how Gabi adapted at this level was unbelievable, and I have the same feeling with Marquinhos as well.

:love:

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
He looked decent. He doesn’t really take on his man which I don’t like, but he has a good cross on him and he’s sturdy. Hope to see more of him.

Top Bottom