• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard

Would you be happy with signing him on loan?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If he makes 2-3 appearances in the league between now and summer and gets sent back to Real, it won't be me calling him crap - it will probably be you guys.

Me I'm indifferent. 6 months, no option to buy, coming from Spain a different league - he pretty much has to be one of the best players on the pitch on his debut or the chances of him starting again decreases immediately.

That's crap. A lot of you are fine with this sink or swim approach to defend Arteta's dodgy management though and that's fine.

I'd be a lot more optimistic if Arsenal were getting more out of his development. Maybe he's a worldie and everything works out? odds are slim already though.

For the money involved, don't you think he's sensible cover/rotation for ESR? We all know ESR cant play all PL & EL games, to do nothing about that would be inexcusable. We may even see them both play at times, that would certainly add to our attack.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
LaLiga is the 2nd best league in the world. It's exactly the league we would want a player from, who has performed there.

Are people suggesting we shouldn't try to strenghten our team, just because players might need adjusting time?

Sounds great! Willian at AMF it is after ESR is run to the ground.

The way a lot of people talk about La Liga is weird, as if it's like the Brazilian league or something, and not a league with some very good teams who'd beat most of the PL teams. I'd actually bet most footballers globally would put La Liga as the one they'd want to play in, cos Barca/Madrid is the pinnacle of the game.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Ay? Since when has Auba ever been on track for 10 goals in his entire career? Its nothing other than poor form for Auba.

You're kinda making stuff up now just because you have an agenda, which is natural. Lacazette hasn't struggled in any specific role, he's just gone through a stage of poor form. You can see that with his finishing up until recently, he couldn't finish his dinner despite getting plenty of good chances.

And just for the record I think Laca works perfectly in the 9 role that Arteta wants, dropping deep and linking play. He's been excellent at it recently with ESR in the side. Not the best we can get but the best at the club right now for the specific role.

Willian is another case of a complete loss of confidence and drive. Pepe has been like this ever since he arrived, the bloke will not make it here and he simply doesn't have the right tools for the premier league. One of those incredibly inconsistent players who is good in France and La Liga where you can gain confidence against farmers weekly.

Sometimes you just have to take the L, Pepe can't deal with the premier league level, and that's fine, frustrating, but fine.
What have I made up? Auba has 5 goals in 19 PL games. That's on track for exactly ten goals. His xG numbers under Arteta are quite a bit worse than they were under Emery and Wenger so you can't just put it down to poor form either. He's simply not getting chances like he used to.

Laca on his new role (before ESR came in at no10):
I like to score, but I have another role than goalscorer who plays centrally, now, I participate more in move construction. At Lyon, I was responsible for scoring, and here, it is more like I need to help the team to play well, to be dangerous.”
Straight from the horse's mouth. More facts for your head top.

I surely don't have to pull up stats that show Willian and Pepe have gotten worse in almost every regard, you're not going to make me do that are you?

So what am I making up Mr Pantene extra-strong-hold Gooners?

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The way a lot of people talk about La Liga is weird, as if it's like the Brazilian league or something, and not a league with some very good teams who'd beat most of the PL teams. I'd actually bet most footballers globally would put La Liga as the one they'd want to play in, cos Barca/Madrid is the pinnacle of the game.
It is more the physical aspect that I think is relevant here. I'm not denigrating La Liga, but in my view, there are substantial differences to the Premier League.

My main point was whether he can make the necessary adaption sufficiently quickly. There is no denying the talent, but the agreement is for 6 months. We need him to make a meaningful contribution in that time.

Fortunately, we will soon know.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What have I made up?

Auba has 5 goals in 19 PL games. That's on track for ten goals. His xG numbers under Arteta are quite a bit worse than they were under Emery and Wenger. That's a fact.

Laca on his new role (before ESR came in at no10):

Straight from the horse's mouth. More facts for your head top.

I surely don't have to pull up stats that show Willian and Pepe have gotten worse in almost every regard, you're not going to make me do that are you?

So what am I making up Mr Pantene extra-strong-hold Gooners?

Auba has had a drop in form, that is all.

Laca may have a different role, but it doesn't matter when he was still getting into goalscoring positions but fluffing the majority of them. Hence why people were going in on him.

Its clear Willian is out of form and is playing worse, but Pepe? Nope. He has been this inconsistent throughout his Arsenal career, purple patch Pepe.

Not sure what you're getting at anyway, suggesting that tactics are the reason why attackers are underperforming? Surely even you can see that doesn't make sense? Considering how much better we play when we have Saka and ESR on the pitch should make you think hmm, maybe Pepe and co don't fit here.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You could be right, tbf...as you say let's wait and see.

Laca looked past it the last few months of Emery's reign and carried it over into Mikel's, before these last few weeks.

Auba has previously done well under Mikel too, maybe this was just a blip for him recently.

Pepe is a good player, will never say he doesn't have attributes to work with...but having watched him for a year and a half now, I just don't think he suits this league.

Willian came here, saw the money he was on, and mentally retired it seems.

All these coupled with all of them are late 20s/early 30s (bar Nico) could be a sign that they are naturally declining...all players decline at some point, regardless of manager.

Auba and Laca has still looked quality for Mikel at periods, especially Auba last season, they could just be periods of off form too...it will depend on the next bunch of players he has, imo.

But as I say I could be wrong, it's just what I think, feel Mikel has understandable reasons as to why this attacking group is declining...we will know with the next bunch of senior attackers he has under his tenure, at Arsenal or elsewhere, if he is dropping the ball with players age 25-30.
You're right. We'll learn more as we sign more attacking players.

Laca may well be in decline tbf. Auba I don't think so. Willian would be making a case for the most rapid onset decline I've ever seen if that was the case but yeah maybe he's just mentally retired. Pepe is Pepe, I wouldn't use his performances as a stick to beat Arteta with although I disagree with his man management.

Auba is the biggest indictment for me. Guy is a proven goalscorer, nobody has scored more than him since he arrived in the PL (although I doubt he still has that stat) I think he's the perfect player to use as a gauge of how well a manager can create an attack. He's as consistent as you can get in terms of scoring goals and when he's on track for ten PL goals it raises alarm bells, big time.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It is more the physical aspect that I think is relevant here. I'm not denigrating La Liga, but in my view, there are substantial differences to the Premier League.

My main point was whether he can make the necessary adaption sufficiently quickly. There is no denying the talent, but the agreement is for 6 months. We need him to make a meaningful contribution in that time.

Fortunately, we will soon know.

But any new acquisition has this risk. Even with Willian who is PL proven and you can't get PL proven players for such a small amount of money.

It makes absolutely no sense to complain about it. It's the same for any acquisition, so what people are suggesting that we don't get anyone, because they might not adjust fast enough.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Auba has had a drop in form, that is all.

Laca may have a different role, but it doesn't matter when he was still getting into goalscoring positions but fluffing the majority of them. Hence why people were going in on him.

Its clear Willian is out of form and is playing worse, but Pepe? Nope. He has been this inconsistent throughout his Arsenal career, purple patch Pepe.

Not sure what you're getting at anyway, suggesting that tactics are the reason why attackers are underperforming? Surely even you can see that doesn't make sense? Considering how much better we play when we have Saka and ESR on the pitch should make you think hmm, maybe Pepe and co don't fit here.
I said that every senior attacker has gotten worse under Arteta. You came in and accused me of making stuff up, I've provided you with proof...and like magic you're now not sure what I'm getting at?

Honestly don't quote me again if you're going to leave your logic and critical thinking at the door.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Unlike Saka and ESR Ødegaard has a back catalog of performances. We know what he’s about and how he usually performs. He’s been playing professional football for ages. That’s always been my main reason as to why we can’t use Saka and ESR as examples for how Arteta develops young players. I’m consistent with my views. By that same logic:

If Arteta has him doing better than what he’s done historically then he gets a ton of credit for allowing him to reach the next level.

If Ødegaard performs similarly to how he has before then it’s not really newsworthy, maybe Arteta gets a bit of credit for him hitting the ground running but he’s performed as expected.

If Ødegaard struggles then it’s on Arteta but realistically it will go down as him struggling to adapt to the PL. If anything, Arteta can’t lose here unless Ødegaard outright drags him in the media.

Just focus on protecting your agendas. A lot of the ‘Arteta haters’ just call it as they see it. Next time rather than consult your (clearly broken) crystal ball how about you just ask the ‘Arteta haters’ how they’ll react rather than coming up with some bullsh*t theories.

By your logic Fergie can't take credit for the class of 91 then. They never played for anyone else prior. Therefore we can't say Fergie was an important part in developing the Nevilles, Butt, Beckham etc. It's a clearly silly argument to be honest and I doubt you'd use in it any other context other than to nit pick at a Arsenal manager you don't particularly care for.

If young players perform well as Saka and ESR have done the manager deserves a portion of the credit for that. It seems totally bizarre to argue otherwise to me.

In terms of my agenda I posted in the Arteta thread last evening that my faith in him is wavering somewhat and that if we don't see consistently better team performances / results / individual performances I think his job should come under threat this summer. So I'm not a hardcore defender of his.

Top Quality

Does he speak English?
Also it says in the top corner of that video that it's from TV2 Norway, I imagine maybe they probably also preferred to have him reply in Norwegian so they didn't have to add subtitles... Unnecessary to make the Norwegian speak English if it's for a Norwegian audience.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I said that every senior attacker has gotten worse under Arteta. You came in and accused me of making stuff up, I've provided you with proof...and like magic you're now not sure what I'm getting at?

Honestly don't quote me again if you're going to leave your logic and critical thinking at the door.

I specifically said you're making stuff up with regards to Lacazette, hence why I said it then went on to talk about Laca in the same paragraph... not everything you posted :lol: thought that was pretty clear but it obviously flew over your head and you got incredibly defensive.

If you're going to leave your brain at the door then don't post at all.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Nothing new really, just more confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom