• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Since the day I tried it and fell over writhing in pain I've actually devoted some time to thinking about the mechanics. I kind of came over the ball a bit and struck it too 'vertically'. To pull it off you need to perfectly strike the ball maybe 10 degrees up from the horizontal and your foot needs to be going almost vertically down. You cannot 'follow' through either so you have to kick into the ground and stop your kick so you dont injure yourself. There's so many things you have to pull off, it would be hard with a dead ball. How he used to do with a moving ball i have no fkn idea.
Yeah yeah on a dead ball I get it--though it's still hard, just not impossible--but even on a slightly moving ball it's what makes my brain explode, that's what I tried to have my mate do and nope. Maybe the explanation is that Özil pulled it off when the ball was barely moving? I don't know. I'd really like to understand, lol.

Yeah @drippin I know that post must be hard to read, haha, dunno if I can even understand it if I read it back.

My guess it was just a bit a natural evolution / question of his personality as it expressed himself through the years? As a footballer you learn how to be more efficient in your movements and in your natural evolution lose some of that daringness you have as a younger player (something we all love and value about young players), and I guess depending on the personality of the player and how much of that they are happy to sacrifice / lose without expressing it, that evolution can look more dramatic or not? Something like that, without getting into a long, hard to read thesis statement 😅

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I agree with the post in spirit (worse things than getting fine, well-chosen loans to Holland and la Real for your development, and learning in one of the best environments at Castilla / Madrid first team training) but I will say that it was more than Modric's unprecedented longevity.

The bolded isn't quite true, at least among madridistas, and it would seem Zidane. In 20-21 there were doubts about Modric's form that autumn and summer when Ødegaard was back from la Real, and the team brought him back from la Real a season earlier than everyone expected (something la Real will not have been happy with, as he was a massive part of their team) with the clear idea to give him a chance to be a big part of their plans.

Between injuries and people not being impressed in the chances he was given, that didn't work out. But I would say that it was more untimely injuries + lack of patience around the club + Ødegaard's sense that he wasn't rated by Zidane and the club that led to him asking to leave, rather than a Modric thing.

Tbh I don't think anyone at the club thought at that moment that Modric would still be doing what he was doing that spring much less the season after much less now, when Ødegaard left them, and I can tell you no madridista I know was bothered at all about losing Ødegaard, or thought he had potential to be anything more than what they said, in their typically arrogant words, 'an Arsenal level player.' The feeling from everyone I know, and it is assumed Zidane and the club, is that he wasn't quite Madrid level.

The truth of the matter is that Madrid is an extremely well run club who knows it has nothing to lose and all to gain (€€€) when they let go of players like Ødegaard, Varane, Ramos (at his age, at least), Ronaldo. Rarely has it not worked out for them. Even Özil, who seemed to most of us a player they should not be letting go, or di María, supposed no problem. So yeah, when Madrid loaned Ødegaard to us, and then sold him, no one really batted an eye, and everyone was pretty pleased with the fee (as were we).
Yeah, by saying the people thought Ødegaard could be Modric's successor, I wasn't trying to say that it was a linear process where they bought Ødegaard to replace Modric. When Real Madrid bought Ødegaard, they bought one of the most sought after attacking midfielders in Europe, and if he was going to succeed at Real Madrid he'd need to play better than Modric.

They bought him because they hoped that he could take Modric's spot, not that they planned that he would.

After being on loan for about three years, I'm sure that most Madridistas no longer had Ødegaard in their plans, and Zidane obviously wasn't confident that he'd be able to give him minutes. Ødegaard was young and started for Real Sociedad, so he needed to play; but Zidane heavily relied on the trio of Modric-Kroos-Casimero.

Modric's longevity meant that Ødegaard didn't have a future at Real Madrid, and few people expected Modric to stay at such a high level for this long.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The rest of the Norwegian national team dragged Ødegaard down to their level as Norway drew 1-1 with Finland. Ødegaard comfortably our best in a dismal showing.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Not long now till you're back in my life Martin.... ❤️

• Pray
Reactions: A_G

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

I can't stop this pain inside me, Martin, love really hurts without you, love really hurts without you and it's breaking my heart but what can I do without you?

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

action league now nicksplat GIF

Latest posts

Top Bottom