• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Our big problem is we lack world class forwards. Auba is aging and Pepe is not of the required quality for a team striving for top 4.
Nonsense. Auba is fine if he has Vardy role and Pepe scored 10 goals in 16 prem starts last season, whether you like it or not any team in the league would take that return from a rotation option. Mahrez got 9 goals with more starts to put it into perspective and he won the league.

The onus is actually on some of the others to step up their numbers I'm afraid otherwise we will remain a midtable side.

Ødegaard will rise to the occasion too, he's got several gears to go. The attack is one of our strong points but the transition from defence to attack is lacking. I also think this improves this season.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I'll do whatever I want, thanks for your concern in my affairs.

Özil was getting slaughtered on here and there was comparisons. He's been mediocre or below most of his time here and people are pretending and kidding themselves otherwise.

New shiny toy syndrome is rife amongst Arsenal fans.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Lots of people throwing toys out of prams after 3 wins and a draw, that's for sure.
Yeah, I'm not sure how many clubs would sack a manager after 3-1-0 in the last four games. Demanding something like that is pretty futile.

He still has some time to prove himself, which I'm fine with, but the time is ticking and the games will and should be scrutinized.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, I'm not sure how many clubs would sack a manager after 3-1-0 in the last four games. Demanding something like that is pretty futile.

He still has some time to prove himself, which I'm fine with, but the time is ticking and the games will and should be scrutinized.

Yeah so in a way I’ve warmed to Arteta to because there are games where we look promising.

The problem is there’s too many games where we come out and lay a fat L. Draw away at Brighton is a fine result but throughout his time here we “turn the corner” only to come out and do nothing straight away.

This is what midtable teams can do, play like Barca one week then Burnley the next. I wouldn’t be shocked if we finish 8th again this year because we just don’t seem to be able to go on a run under him. Even if there are high points.

He’s an ok manager but where does the club want to go? Does it want to contend again because I think he has too many bad days at the office to do that.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nonsense. Auba is fine if he has Vardy role and Pepe scored 10 goals in 16 prem starts last season, whether you like it or not any team in the league would take that return from a rotation option. Mahrez got 9 goals with more starts to put it into perspective and he won the league.

The onus is actually on some of the others to step up their numbers I'm afraid otherwise we will remain a midtable side.

Ødegaard will rise to the occasion too, he's got several gears to go. The attack is one of our strong points but the transition from defence to attack is lacking. I also think this improves this season.

I love Auba but he's 32, I'm thinking more long term here. Short term he is fine. I agree he isn't being utilised correctly.

I don't think a club like Arsenal can afford to have Pepe as a rotation option. We financially we are Liverpool/Sp**s level, not United/City/Chelsea. We need him to hit the levels of our competitions wide men (Salah/Mane/Son ect), and I personally just don't think he's at that level. Maybe he'd excel under a new manager, but that remains to be seen.

That's not to mention the big elephant in the room: Saka's best position being RW. Can Arsenal afford to have two big assets that prefer the same position? Or would it be wiser to try and let one go and bring in a player for the other flank. It mirrors the dilemma we've had with Auba and Lacazette over the last few years.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Yeah, I'm not trying to make excuses for Arteta. I actually think he has a massive uphill battle now to stay in his job. On the evidence of that Brighton performance you'd say that we are in trouble next match - everyone's assuming that's how it will play out, but football moves so quickly it's not necessarily the case. As a team we've taken some baby steps in the last few matches. If we have another run like the last four matches, suddenly your talking about good form and a top 4 push.

We need to be a bit patient. And writing Ødegaard off based on one performance is daft. He's definitely not been amazing yet to my eye but he's scored a goal and there are some promising signs with Saka and ESR. I want to see how this plays out over the next month before passing judgment.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I love Auba but he's 32, I'm thinking more long term here. Short term he is fine. I agree he isn't being utilised correctly.

I don't think a club like Arsenal can afford to have Pepe as a rotation option. We financially we are Liverpool/Sp**s level, not United/City/Chelsea. We need him to hit the levels of our competitions wide men (Salah/Mane/Son ect), and I personally just don't think he's at that level. Maybe he'd excel under a new manager, but that remains to be seen.

That's not to mention the big elephant in the room: Saka's best position being RW. Can Arsenal afford to have two big assets that prefer the same position? Or would it be wiser to try and let one go and bring in a player for the other flank. It mirrors the dilemma we've had with Auba and Lacazette over the last few years.
We’ve spent over 200 mil since Pepe and he’s most likely leaving on a free or with 1 year left on his deal - so yes I would say Arsenal could comfortably afford it. The Xhaka saga is further proof.

It’s purely up to Pepe and whether he wants to go the way of Lacazette and be a dependable rotation or move on. The club isn’t ruthless enough to make that decision for him.

Too much has been made of which flank Pepe and Saka plays on, both have performed (and been poor) on either side. Whilst many prefer one or the other, it doesn’t really matter, that’s for Arteta to decide.

Still think a lot of people are sleeping on Ødegaard, Im still surprised he’s even here.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

We’ve spent over 200 mil since Pepe and he’s most likely leaving on a free or with 1 year left on his deal - so yes I would say Arsenal could comfortably afford it. The Xhaka saga is further proof.
Pepe has contract until 2024, so two years after this season. I don't have a crystal ball like you to predict he will leave like that, or if he will renew, etc.

What do you mean with Xhaka saga? I have understood that Arsenal had a one year extension option in his contract which they used, and his contract is now also to 2024. Which means we can use him as rotational option in his prime years if we want to.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It’s purely up to Pepe and whether he wants to go the way of Lacazette and be a dependable rotation or move on. The club isn’t ruthless enough to make that decision for him.

Too much has been made of which flank Pepe and Saka plays on, both have performed (and been poor) on either side. Whilst many prefer one or the other, it doesn’t really matter, that’s for Arteta to decide.

Still think a lot of people are sleeping on Ødegaard, Im still surprised he’s even here.

Yeah that's how it will play out I think.

Ødegaard is a good player that I think he's quite adaptable, and think he will get better with time.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Some people talk like we signed Ødegaard as a player at his peak. He's young with loads of talent and potentially a huge career ahead of him. £34m or whatever it was is a bargain, he will improve as this season goes on. He's certainly not a player I'm concerned about.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Some people talk like we signed Ødegaard as a player at his peak. He's young with loads of talent and potentially a huge career ahead of him. £34m or whatever it was is a bargain, he will improve as this season goes on. He's certainly not a player I'm concerned about.

I think recent comments have been mostly positive about him tbh. Bar the CBs, everyone had a shocker against Brighton, its harsh to retrospectively call any of the players out.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I think recent comments have been mostly positive about him tbh. Bar the CBs, everyone had a shocker against Brighton, its harsh to retrospectively call any of the players out.

That's what I said straight after the game, it still doesn't stop some having a dig though. They don't want him to succeed because they wanted Buendia, who's hardly setting the PL alight at Villa.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
That's what I said straight after the game, it still doesn't stop some having a dig though. They don't want him to succeed because they wanted Buendia, who's hardly setting the PL alight at Villa.
When a player’s had opportunities to influence the game in Arsenal’s favour a number of times during a game and has failed to do so, they are due for criticism. That goes for much of the rest of the team as well, some really, really poor individual performances on the ball that game. Odegaarde, Partey, Tomiyasu and Tierney were all very poor. It’s the reason we ****ed up so many transitions from back to front in the first half.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
When a player’s had opportunities to influence the game in Arsenal’s favour a number of times during a game and has failed to do so, they are due for criticism. That goes for much of the rest of the team as well, some really, really poor individual performances on the ball that game. Odegaarde, Partey, Tomiyasu and Tierney were all very poor. It’s the reason we ****ed up so many transitions from back to front in the first half.

I agree, the names you mentioned are the ones I singled out too, plus Auba. Its unlikely they will all play that bad again at the same time. I don't know what it was, the weather? I don't know but it was awful. I wont carry my criticism on though unless they do it again.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Feel a 10/10 performance v Palace after the break from my boy, sorry Paddy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom