• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Tets turned him into a workhorse
I'm not surprised by this to be honest, you can see it when he plays. It's not translating into value for the team though - defensively he's not doing enough and although his attacking numbers have been sabotaged over two seasons by a ton of Auba misses and mistakes, he's definitely not influential enough either.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Those running stats are admirable, but he needs to start making impact on games when he is on the ball...he has the talent, needs to be more aggressive.

He's been a little lost since the Brighton game..home to Newcastle should be the game he can get his season back on track.

If he starts that one and plays poorly, I will start to get a little worried.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We cant have short memories with this guy. I don't think he is an athlete in the sense that Saka is, however, he isn't so unathletic that he would struggle.

He literally lives in that right half space. Without a CF who can hold the ball and right back who overlaps, we won't see the best of him. Victim of the system currently.

I think maybe for him it's getting used to the pace of the league. He does have a big engine, I'm hoping he can be a similar player for us as Eriksen was for Sp**s.

I think the forward players in the real elite teams now are just a tad more dynamic than Ødegaard. They can do stuff 1v1, run in behind ect, whereas Ødegaard is a pure playermaker/10 type. That's not to say he won't be an important player for us in the next few years, because I think he will be, especially against teams that defend deep.

Barry

I think maybe for him it's getting used to the pace of the league. He does have a big engine, I'm hoping he can be a similar player for us as Eriksen was for Sp**s.

I think the forward players in the real elite teams now are just a tad more dynamic than Ødegaard. They can do stuff 1v1, run in behind ect, whereas Ødegaard is a pure playermaker/10 type. That's not to say he won't be an important player for us in the next few years, because I think he will be, especially against teams that defend deep.
He sort of feels like a cross between Özil and Eriksen style wise and I'm hoping for the same as you. Getting a bit worried by Ødegaard because he is experienced and I was expecting more than we've seen but it's also still early days for a youngish player.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He sort of feels like a cross between Özil and Eriksen style wise and I'm hoping for the same as you. Getting a bit worried by Ødegaard because he is experienced and I was expecting more than we've seen but it's also still early days for a youngish player.

Agreed, he's got a lot of talent, I think he just has to learn the league a bit and know how he can use his skills to affect games more. That will come with experience imo.

I think there's this misconception about him that he's this really experienced young player, like Fabregas was back in the day. He isn't. Prior to last season he only had one full season in a top league (Sociedad in 19/20). He should be judged as Saka and ESR are imo.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Agreed, he's got a lot of talent, I think he just has to learn the league a bit and know how he can use his skills to affect games more. That will come with experience imo.

I think there's this misconception about him that he's this really experienced young player, like Fabregas was back in the day. He isn't. Prior to last season he only had one full season in a top league (Sociedad in 19/20). He should be judged as Saka and ESR are imo.
still has racked up 250 club games & 50+ full / u21 caps

that in your development years while also senior training from a super young age has to take its toll on the body

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

that in your development years while also senior training from a super young age has to take its toll on the body

How many of them were at a proper level though? Youth games and games in weak leagues are all well and good, but how many games has he been properly tested in? Potentially some internationals and his stint for Sociedad. I think this has to be taken into consideration with Ødegaard, he's still learning his trade as Saka and ESR are.

It's harsh and a bit unrealistic to expect him to come in and be and instant hit.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
How many of them were at a proper level though? Youth games and games in weak leagues are all well and good, but how many games has he been properly tested in? Potentially some internationals and his stint for Sociedad. I think this has to be taken into consideration with Ødegaard, he's still learning his trade as Saka and ESR are.

It's harsh and a bit unrealistic to expect him to come in and be and instant hit.
they have him with 17,802 minutes of senior club football + 37 senior caps... granted 4k is with the RM Castilla team so a lower league but still vs men

hope he can keep developing on the normal curve for a 22 year old but feel he is way further along due to starting so early + natural wear on the body adds up

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
they have him with 17,802 minutes of senior club football + 37 senior caps... granted 4k is with the RM Castilla team so a lower league but still vs men

hope he can keep developing on the normal curve for a 22 year old but feel he is way further along due to starting so early + natural wear on the body adds up

Let's hope not, I think he will be OK though. He's also playing in an Arteta system that stifles attacking play let's not forget. I think he will be a good player for us over the next few years.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I could see what he was doing in games last term even when the goals/assists were not there. Thought the criticism was harsh. I could see things were flowing more and he was finding spaces and making some passes that Smith rowe,saka were not giving us.

However this season has been underwhelming and his attitude looks a bit poor. That is the thing that is most disappointing. Seems to be a bit of a sulker. That nil nil game was diabolical.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
At this point I am not sold on Ødegaard but our playmaking out of midfield is atrocious and should be played. No doubt he is a talent I worry a bit that he lacks some physicality without the ball. But there is no doubting that the current mix is not producing enough we are a team right now that is well under 50 percent possession, we need desperately a midfield playmaker and he is the best on team for that

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
For someone who rarely seems comfortable when his teams play through the middle, Arteta seems to weirdly always want a number 10 playing all the time.

Arteta's style ( in theory) would favour a 4-3-3, strong/disciplined players in the middle and freeing up the wingers.

Barry

Yeah I don't think we can use the lack of experience excuse with Ødegaard now. He has played a significant number of top level matches in Spain, England and for Norway. Even the two seasons in Holland were competitive high level senior football. It's more likely that he is one of those players who peaks early and declines by 30 as a result but there is a lot of luck in this as well and he might (hopefully) age like a fine wine.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Think he was £30m. Want a bit longer to judge a 22 year old player although he's not setting anything alight at the moment.
👍Exactly he had a couple pf meh performances when played deeper. but im still more than happy to have him.
People forget he is still young & has struggled with injuries.
If we keep playing Laca I may even be half tempted to give Saka a rest & play him there although perhaps thats rather harsh on the £72m man.

Cash wise around £30m is nothing in todays market. Ode was pretty much a straight swap for Joe Willock.

scytheavatar

Established Member
At this point I am not sold on Ødegaard but our playmaking out of midfield is atrocious and should be played. No doubt he is a talent I worry a bit that he lacks some physicality without the ball. But there is no doubting that the current mix is not producing enough we are a team right now that is well under 50 percent possession, we need desperately a midfield playmaker and he is the best on team for that

With Arteta's cowardry tactics and mindset we can have prime Bergkamp or Cesc playing for us and we would still be struggling to create goals.......... you have to accept that we will always be a low creation team under Arteta. In that case we need to make sure our forwards finish the few chances they get, and that means upgrades to Auba/Laca will benefit us a lot more than playing Ødegaard would.

blrgooner

Established Member
👍Exactly he had a couple pf meh performances when played deeper. but im still more than happy to have him.
People forget he is still young & has struggled with injuries.
If we keep playing Laca I may even be half tempted to give Saka a rest & play him there although perhaps thats rather harsh on the £72m man.

Cash wise around £30m is nothing in todays market. Ode was pretty much a straight swap for Joe Willock.
Exactly. What is important is that it is only a couple of meh performances. If we actually take an average of ratings across all games, I think only ESR and Laca in our attack would get better ratings than Ode. Most of our players have had more than 2-3 bad performances(Including very poor performances in the same game where Ode was poor). I am not worried about him at all as of now.

Top Bottom