• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

sdotzdot

Established Member
I love this guy, if he sticks to it and doesn’t get lazy he’s going to be an amazing player in a few seasons.

He’s a hard worker and has that natural talent, which is the ideal combination. It wasn’t quite working for him in the final third with his little touches or quick decision making but overall I really liked what I saw. £30m was great business.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
He's not as good as peak Özil obviously, but he's better than the Özil of the last few seasons here without a doubt.

Plus Özil wasn't as good as Bergkamp, but Mes still had a very decent career here.

It doesn't matter if Ødegaard is a step below the players of the past, as long as he performs well he can easily be a success here, like previous players of ours have done.
Yeah its like comparing ESR to bergkamp or saka to pires.
People need to accept our team doesnt not have players at that level.

We are building for the future & have a young team who should with time progress so lets get behind them.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Didn't have the best game offensively, and fluffed his lines a couple of times in key attacking positions. What I loved about Ødegaard in this game though was his desire and heart, which was so evident as he pressed intelligently and with intensity from the front. It put a lot of pressure on Norwich and freed Aubameyang up a bit to focus on his runs into the box. I thought Ødegaard looked really fit and hungry - his pace and acceleration especially surprised me at times because that's one area that he can look a little off sometimes.

Think he's going to be a big player for us when he hits his stride with this team.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Good ideas but no luck in his offensive play but was very good at his defensive work. I saw him showing for the ball, trying one twos and just moving into intelligent positions. Once this attack become familiar with each other, I think he will shine even more.

What frustrates me most about him is his preference to play on the ball instead of, of it or mixing it up abit. I get it he wants to be the guy that makes things happen but I feel it sort of limits the team.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
What frustrates me most about him is his preference to play on the ball instead of, of it or mixing it up abit. I get it he wants to be the guy that makes things happen but I feel it sort of limits the team.

Feel this is why he will be a perfect playmaker for Auba, who is the exact opposite.

Can see those 2 really developing a nice understanding this season.

Feel this is why he will be a perfect playmaker for Auba, who is the exact opposite.

Can see those 2 really developing a nice understanding this season.
I get your point. He needs to believe in his teammates more though. Can't be taking the ball of them. I'd have wanted him to make runs sometimes and distract defenders. This would create another final third passing option and maybe clear the path for Auba.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We had 30 shots on target and he found a way to avoid having one. Definitely something he needs to work on before the honeymoon period is over and good off the ball movement would help. If you’re not actively contributing to the build up at that moment in time then you should be making some type of run.

Bruno Fernandes is excellent at that, always giving the defence something to worry about.

All the best no10s need that goal threat, even if we play him Martin in midfield you’d still expect a bit more.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

his pace and acceleration especially surprised me at times
I might need to watch the game again because for me the only surprising thing about his pace and acceleration is how little of it he has. :lol:

Barry

I might need to watch the game again because for me the only surprising thing about his pace and acceleration is how little of it he has. :lol:

I was surprised too! He was moving really well though. Did some outstanding defensive work but overall it wasn't his best game - will get judged on his attacking contribution and got it wrong a few times although to be fair, if Auba had his shooting boots on he could have had a couple of assists. Pepe must be feeling the same as well - could of had a couple of assists at least from Auba...

IstraBalagina

He's not as good as peak Özil obviously, but he's better than the Özil of the last few seasons here without a doubt.

Plus Özil wasn't as good as Bergkamp, but Mes still had a very decent career here.

It doesn't matter if Ødegaard is a step below the players of the past, as long as he performs well he can easily be a success here, like previous players of ours have done.
Özil under Arteta was better than Ødegaard for sure (from what I've seen so far). He was unfairly dropped, and we don't know for certain what was the reason.

Barry

Özil under Arteta was better than Ødegaard for sure (from what I've seen so far). He was unfairly dropped, and we don't know for certain what was the reason.
It's funny, because Willian last season - for all the hate he rightly got - performed way better than Özil did in 19/20. Özil got 1 goal and 2 assists in 1500 minutes (compared to 1+5 for Willian in less minutes). He was awful. And on top of that he took sly digs at the club and management on social media.

Don't get me wrong, Özil was and is a club legend - amazing at his peak for us - but that peak disappeared with the contract renewal and Wenger's departure. It's a shame it ended acrimoniously, and I see blame on both sides but let's not pretend that he was performing when he left Arsenal. Ødegaard last season got the same numbers in almost half the minutes. His general play, commitment and professionalism were levels above as well. Ødegaard will do well to have half the career that Özil had, but he's an improvement over the version that left the club

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Don't get me wrong, Özil was and is a club legend

oh-boy-here-we-go.gif

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's not rapid but he us deceptively quick. Saw it more in defence than attack but I was pleasantly surprised.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Makes you realize how special Özil was when you watch this guy. Good player with great potential but lacks the X factor Özil had.
What, watching Ødegaard produce a game that is pretty average by his own capabilities and yet contained more substance than any average games Özil produced in his last few years for us, makes you realise how special Özil was?

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
What, watching Ødegaard produce a game that is pretty average by his own capabilities and yet contained more substance than any average games Özil produced in his last few years for us, makes you realise how special Özil was?
Why do you want to look at the last couple of years when man was in decline and not the first couple of years when man was setting records for fastest 50 assists and equaling the assist record? Man was the best creative player in the league at his peak.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The longer Cuckzil spends hobbling around the superlige, the better his contribution was for us and the higher the bar gets for Ødegaard… I get it 😭

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
The longer Cuckzil spends hobbling around the superlige, the better his contribution was for us and the higher the bar gets for Ødegaard… I get it 😭
Are you the kind of person who when people say they wish Pele played for us take it as meaning they want an 80 year old in the team?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Why do you want to look at the last couple of years when man was in decline and not the first couple of years when man was setting records for fastest 50 assists and equaling the assist record? Man was the best creative player in the league at his peak.
Be more specific then. Is Ødegaard as good as peak Özil yet? No he’s not. But his career for us spanned enough time for the meh years to be more than relevant when you’re comparing him to a young guy with a high ceiling who’s been here 5 minutes.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom