• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: El Capitanø

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If we compare the best of Ceballos' games against Ode's, think it's an easy win for Ceballos even though he was overall a poor player for us in the end. It's OK to say it's not good enough and let's hope he gets better. He is Mikel's boy and definitely won't be in a position where Laca and Pepe are, no matter how poor he is he will get his chances to show he can do more, which can't be said for the other 2
I suspect ODG is a lot better than Ceballos, but yeah it's currently not good enough and none of us can really pretend otherwise.

Not worried though, ODG will almost certainly be given time and support to work here, it's in Arteta's interest anyways. Him losing his spot to Lacazette is so obviously temporary.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Interesting, I didn’t think ESR got any of the ball to show anything in the first half. I’ve never thought it’s worked well in build up between Esr and Ode on the pitch together because Ode favours the right hand side so heavily. But paradoxically I think it increases ESR’s potential goal threat as it sucks the play away from him.
I love ESR's dynamism but he doesn't have the same passing range as Ødegaard who can mix it long and short; angled, looped, weighted through balls - all sorts. IMO he just needs a fraction more urgency to make those passes count. He lofted over to Auba at the far post and it got headed away by a Newcastle defender - but only *just* and it would have have been quality if it came off... Seems to have too many of those moments but if he can change those 50/50's to his favour by being fractionally quicker suddenly he's a dangerous weapon for the team. I don't know if he's got that extra level or if the pace of the PL is just too quick for him.

Totally agree that it was probably partly Ode's fault that most of the play went down the right side, but he was influential in constructing our moves with Tomi & Saka.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Totally agree that it was probably partly Ode's fault that most of the play went down the right side, but he was influential in constructing our moves with Tomi & Saka.
I don't have a problem with having a bias towards one flank but the direct consequence is that you suck the play away from the other flank taking away opportunities to make build up contributions while increasing opportunities for key pass/crossing/finishing touches. The Messi to Neymar Barca combo comes to mind as well as the 2018 City finishing many of their moves with the Sane cut back.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not sure what I expected but I thought he'd be more involved either assisting or even pre assisting. He just seems to be there and doesn't affect play nearly enough. He runs hard so if he took a risk or two, something might open up for him. We don’t miss him when he's not there which is a concern.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Long Post In defence of Ode 😁

I dont really get why people are expecting Ode to suddenly become prime Bergkamp/Özil (especially as its so hard for '10's to shine in the modern game).

He is a young player with good technique & workrate to complement our other young attacking options like SAKA & ESR.

They all are good players with differing qualities.
Has he caught fire this season No.

Now I agree you need to look at goal/assist numbers at the end of the season like we will with all our front 4/attacking players.
But its also down to minutes played, building understanding/linking with team mates.

Lets be real then. despite playing way more minutes Saka was struggling on that front until the Newcastle game.

Also dont forget we tried Ode further back in a couple of games when Arteta seemed to be looking at if a 433 would work.

It didnt really but hey thats not to say it couldnt in the future.

Despite having limited minutes he has scored a very important goal this season & would have got another one the other week if auba hadnt got in the way :facepalm: 😂.

It seems too often like you are either hero or zero on here.

People need to consider the future & squad depth.
Having stronger depth (this season) with players like Ode, Gabby, Tavares puts us in a far better place than we were last season

Dont stress about Ode he is a young talented footballer

Do i want more from him, Yes absolutely!

He is hardly last season Willian ffs.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz

I dont really get why people are expecting Ode to suddenly become prime Bergkamp/Özil (especially as its so hard for '10's to shine in the modern game).

He is a young player with good technique & workrate to complement our other young attacking options like SAKA & ESR.

Now I agree you need to look at goal/assist numbers at the end of the season like we will with all our front 4/attacking players.
But its also down to minutes played, building understanding/linking with team mates.

Lets be real then. despite playing way more minutes Saka was struggling on that front until the Newcastle game.

Also dont forget we tried Ode further back in a couple of games when Arteta seemed to be looking at if a 433 would work.

Despite having limited minutes he has scored a very important goal this season & would have got another one the other week if auba hadnt got in the way :facepalm: 😂.

Having stronger depth (this season) with players like Ode, Gabby, Tavares puts us in a far better place than we were last season

I agree to an extent, but come on being better than Willian isn’t an accomplishment. I am willing though to give him some time because I do believe he has some skills but he just doesn’t seem to want to try enough for the killer ball, it could be just a lack of confidence. But if he plays he is there to be a creative engine and so far he has failed in that regard

scytheavatar

Established Member

No one is expect Ødegaard to be prime Bergkamp/Özil, but think it is fair for everyone to expect him to be better than Ceballos. Which he hasn't really shown yet.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I agree to an extent, but come on being better than Willian isn’t an accomplishment. I am willing though to give him some time because I do believe he has some skills but he just doesn’t seem to want to try enough for the killer ball, it could be just a lack of confidence. But if he plays he is there to be a creative engine and so far he has failed in that regard
You have a point but I do think it is harder in the modern game to find that killer pass. You certainly dont see as many 'hollywood' balls as you did back in the day.
I certainly think he has better ability to pick the 'right pass' than most players at the top end of the pitch in our squad.

Ok look at it this way. Are there better No '10s' in the prem?
Yes but they would go for way more money.
City paid £100m for Grealish.
For around that money we got Ben White, Sambi & Ode.

Ode cost us what around £35m at most?
As i have said before that is not a lot in the modern game.
For players who play in his position that we have sold. its basically Joe Willock or Iwobi type money.
Look at it that way.

They were talking £70m for Maddison.

People need some perspective & to understand we have not signed messi.
However he is a talented young footballer who should be a really good addition to our squad 👍

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
No one is expect Ødegaard to be prime Bergkamp/Özil, but think it is fair for everyone to expect him to be better than Ceballos. Which he hasn't really shown yet.
Read my reply above to Farz for what a 30- 35m '10' looks like.

So you reckon we should have taken ceballos instead? lol. 😁

scytheavatar

Established Member
He is more technically gifted than both, but not close to them when it comes to raw athleticism at this point. He is pretty agile though, but lacks size, strength and power.

Except he isn't more technically gifted. His touch is poor and he is extremely one footed. He is a better passer but both ESR and Saka are way more comfortable performing all over the pitch.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
He is more technically gifted than both, but not close to them when it comes to raw athleticism at this point. He is pretty agile though, but lacks size, strength and power.
Good tip, because I have heard a lot about him and not seen him play. Size is overrated for footballer unless you are a keeper or central defender. It can’t hurt to try to work him into at least some cup matches

blrgooner

Established Member
Rewatched the match on Arsenal-Player and he really wasn't that bad this time around. All the criticism in this thread still applies (no end product, lack of urgency, gets hustled too much), but that aside he was also doing some very good stuff in the match as well;

Hit a cracking free kick; linked up well with Tomi & Saka on the right especially; contributed to our dominance on the ball over Newcastle. Also some lovely individual bits of control, skill and passing.

We are rightly judging him against a high standard for an Arsenal attacking player ("Is he good enough to propel us into the top 4?"). Judged on that, the answer is currently no, but I also think the Ceballos comparisons are wide of the mark. Ødegaard's capable of controlling matches and as a signing he's useful in the squad even if he ends up flopping for the first team. Think if he doesn't improve he should be fairly easy to move on with lots of interested teams but we'll see I guess.
Exactly what I thought about his performance actually. He was very poor for first 25 mins I thought but after that he was fine. He contributed a lot to our capability to dominate the ball simply by showing up for the ball in the correct spaces in the second half. I thought we were losing control of the game to some extent in the second half with many silly mistakes but Ode was one of the players who didn`t make too many mistakes in the second half.
He didn`t do anything magical but was a solid 6/10 performance I thought. If the same performance was provided by some player who was big and strong, AM would have thought that was a good performance.
Also, its funny when we say that him favoring the right hand side means that our buildup from the right hand side. Doesnt that mean in other words that we are building up well from the right hand side because we have Saka,Tomi and Ode? When Laca plays and we have 2 strikers, I think we don`t buildup from either side. So I think building up well from one side is an improvement.
Regarding the standard in terms of "is he good enough to propel us to top 4?" I don`t think any of our attacking players are in that level(Including Auba and Laca).

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

His form has been similar in the Norwegian national team. He works hard, and the attitude cannot be faulted, but it isn't happening for him at the moment. Lots of effort, too little end product.

I had really hoped that stability at Arsenal would bring out the talent that he has. So far it has been a lot of smoke and too little fire.

It's up to him to change that. He cannot fault the support from the manager.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
He hasn’t been better but hasnt been as poor as ceballos was at times;

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
He hasn’t been better but hasnt been as poor as ceballos was at times;
Weird player - he was instrumental in our FA Cup win with some big performances... fooled us all and then went on a one man mission to get us sent out of the Europa League - he was SO bad it was comical at times.

I suppose credit to Edu & Arteta for getting him back on loan rather than permanently although it might have just been chance.

Top Bottom