• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: Öde To Joy

Will Ødegaard get over 10 G/A in the Premier League this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaza

I repeat, if I were to pick who would play as a number 10 from Ødegaard and ESR - I pick Ødegaard any day of the week. He has the touch and the final pass. The truth is ESR needs an Ødegaard type of player either as a 10 or outwide to function.
ESR is not the defense splitting pass kind of guy. He combines well and has great off the ball movement but he's not one you make your main source of creativity.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I repeat, if I were to pick who would play as a number 10 from Ødegaard and ESR - I pick Ødegaard any day of the week. He has the touch and the final pass. The truth is ESR needs an Ødegaard type of player either as a 10 or outwide to function.
ESR is not the defense splitting pass kind of guy. He combines well and has great off the ball movement but he's not one you make your main source of creativity.

Vs a team that actually knows what they are doing, Ødegaard doesn't get close to playing through balls. He is extremely limited. A typical Arteta type player, who works hard and looks busy, but doesn't actually do much. He takes a lot of touches and slows the game down so much. He doesn't have the physicslity to win duels or the pace to run in behind.

However, my main problem is that he makes Saka ineffective. Ødegaard operates in the right half space all game. So he always brings players to Saka. Saka rarely has a 1v1 and the space he wants to run into is occupied. It's like when we played Pepe and Özil together.

ESR literally goes everywhere and pops up on the left as much as the right. He knows when to distance himself from players to allow them 1v1s. He doesn't always run towards to ball and bring players with him.

ESR when fit should start at 10 and we shouldn't be giving minutes to someone who he isn't even our player to hamper the development of ESR.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Ødegaard is a better No10 than ESR. ESR isn't even a 10 anyway. Arteta just played him there for some games and he looked decent. He's more or less an 8.

He's not the first player to struggle with the physicality of PL though. I hope he adapts. He's not an Özil. Özil was always shot shy but Ødegaard is not averse to shooting when the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

Legend14

Established Member
Heard the argument already. I think we understand what Ødegaard brings. ESR is still the more impactful player. The defense splitting pass guy stuff is a bit overated. He has many limitation that will not be exposed vs Olympiacos.

Hopefully ESR will get some time at 10 so he can remind everyone why he is such a difference maker in so many aspects of football.

Iceman10

Established Member
Vs a team that actually knows what they are doing, Ødegaard doesn't get close to playing through balls. He is extremely limited.

Against Leicester?

Arteta's gonna sacrifice ESRs development for this guy, force him out wide and we're going to suffer as a team

Maybe slow down on this a bit. ESR has been carrying a knock recently and only just had a fitness test in advance of this EL tie so he was rightly on the bench. ESR carrying a knock recently justifies the Ødegaard loan, esp. with no one even daring to contemplate Willian in that position anymore.

I can understand criticisms of shifting ESR to LW when they play together, I would prefer it is more about them taking turns for #10. If Ødegaard stayed beyond this season I can see a long term possibility of some tries as #8 while ESR plays #10, but Ødegaard requires more development and acclimatisation first.

Last edited:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He is clearly not a better player than Buendia which would have suited us much better

Iceman10

Established Member
He is clearly not a better player than Buendia which would have suited us much better

No need to talk about Buendia with past tense, a transfer is still possible this summer. Happy to assess choices at the end of the season. I agree Buendia would be the better immediate fit but Norwich were not prepared to let him go for a realistic price mid-season.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
He has been a mixed bag so far. Would have to watch more matches to figure out if he can adapt to premier league. On the comparison with ESR, if Ode does well in the remaining matches, we should try to retain both. They have different set of skills which will come in handy during different matches.

Zaza

Vs a team that actually knows what they are doing, Ødegaard doesn't get close to playing through balls. He is extremely limited. A typical Arteta type player, who works hard and looks busy, but doesn't actually do much. He takes a lot of touches and slows the game down so much. He doesn't have the physicslity to win duels or the pace to run in behind.

However, my main problem is that he makes Saka ineffective. Ødegaard operates in the right half space all game. So he always brings players to Saka. Saka rarely has a 1v1 and the space he wants to run into is occupied. It's like when we played Pepe and Özil together.

ESR literally goes everywhere and pops up on the left as much as the right. He knows when to distance himself from players to allow them 1v1s. He doesn't always run towards to ball and bring players with him.

ESR when fit should start at 10 and we shouldn't be giving minutes to someone who he isn't even our player to hamper the development of ESR.
Ødegaard has always had a final pass in him. Unless you have a Grealish or something outwide - ESR as a main source of creativity isn't a good idea especially against deep blocks.
I did say ESR makes great off the ball runs.

Last edited:

Zaza

Heard the argument already. I think we understand what Ødegaard brings. ESR is still the more impactful player. The defense splitting pass guy stuff is a bit overated. He has many limitation that will not be exposed vs Olympiacos.

Hopefully ESR will get some time at 10 so he can remind everyone why he is such a difference maker in so many aspects of football.
The defense splitting pass stuff is needed against deep blocks. Go watch the game against Palace again and see why an in form Ødegaard would have been a better choice than ESR.

mpower2540

The defense splitting pass stuff is needed against deep blocks. Go watch the game against Palace again and see why an in form Ødegaard would have been a better choice than ESR.
There's no space for a defense splitting pass against deep blocks. I personally prefer ESR because I think he's a bit more dynamic, however, Ødegaard showed he's got a real cannon of a shot when he takes the responsibility. I want him to do that more. I don't want a floaty number 10 whose's only real asset is looking for a through-ball and nothing else, teams can account for that.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Buendia just seems more robust, all action, mobile and dynamic.

Ødegaard got talent but don't think we should sign him long term. Don't want weak, immobile players any more

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

You should seriously consider a career as a football analyst, some stuff from you is better than probably 90% of assistants at a professional level

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't see Ødegaard as a threat to ESR, had we not loaned him, we would have run ESR into the ground. In fact, the signs were ominous that we were already doing so before we signed Martin.

In addition, they are two very different players, and they add different things to the team. I don't see why we could not play both, and we have indeed done so.

For Ødegaard's sake, I hope he sees reason, and gets out of Real Madrid. Whether that is to go here, or elsewhere. To continue to develop his talent, he needs to play. I hope @Jury is right and that he wants to stay here, it is a better place for him than at Real Madrid.

After the game he was interviewed on Norwegian telly, and he could not have been more complimentary about his team mates, Arteta and the club.

I would not be surprised to see the loan agreement extended a year. This would allow us to spend on other positions, while Ødegaard's contract gets one year closer to expiry. Events might be influenced by what happens in Madrid however...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom