• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: Öde To Joy

Will Ødegaard get over 10 G/A in the Premier League this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulnicura

Hi all, I'm a Real Madrid fan whose also interested in following Arsenal and the EPL (Arsenal is the only EPL club I have a bit of a liking towards) in general more closely and I felt like giving my thoughts on Ødegaard.

First of all, he's not a player of my liking. I personally like attacking midfielders with overall technical and physical profiles that allow them to play both as deeper lying/dynamic CM's and as advanced midfielders (think Gerrard, Lampard, De Bruyne, Modric, De Jong, Schweinsteiger, Kroos) and I like wingers and forwards to be able to penetrate, beat their defenders, make runs behind the defense, and score goals.

Ødegaard is none of that. I've been following his trajectory since late 2014 and he's never developed into a CM (not even in Real Sociedad), he's more of a LAM/CAM that that doesn't have much positional variety and other than his passing he doesn't have many weapons. He's been over hyped since day one, and if there wasn't COVID i'd like to see RM selling him for 45-55 million, but I don't think Real Madrid will want to sell him unfortunately.

It's telling that with Zidane there was never an inkling of Zidane trying to mold Ødegaard into the Modric role, Zidane always played Ødegaard as a CAM, when he wasn't injured that is. I don't think Zidane is a big fan at all, it'd be nice to see Ødegaard push his exit and he could leave for 30-35 million perhaps.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Said it earlier in this thread, he has talent, but gives me Özil vibes. Not like for like players, but can go missing and be physically dominated. He is too much of a finesse player. You need more power, explosiveness in the EPL. Don't think he is Real Madrid quality either, with the way Barca are going, I think his game actually translates more to how they play.

scytheavatar

Established Member
As I recall you were vehemently against loaning him.

Loans are obviously not ideal, and if we had better summer planning and had bought Buendía we might not have had to do one, but having got to where we were in January Ødegaard was absolutely necessary and absolutely a good solution, and absolutely made us better. He was enjoying his time here and if Arteta had done a better job and got us to CL qualification he might even have stayed and signed long term. Was loaning him worse than not loaning him in winter would've been? I think the answer to that question is obvious.

Anyways, saying he was just decent is silly. He was our best player for a few months there and is a fine footballer. Unfortunately he won't be ours long term and unfortunately he hasn't played well in the recent games for whatever the reason (tactics, not being fully fit, etc.), but there's no need to re-write history.

Ødegaard had 2 good games so far for us, that's enough to make him our best player for a few months?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

🤣🤣

On the player himself, I’m not sure yet. If they’d loan him to us again then I’d take him. Hard to judge players under *********** but we shouldn’t be buying players after an average loan.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Hi all, I'm a Real Madrid fan whose also interested in following Arsenal and the EPL (Arsenal is the only EPL club I have a bit of a liking towards) in general more closely and I felt like giving my thoughts on Ødegaard.

First of all, he's not a player of my liking. I personally like attacking midfielders with overall technical and physical profiles that allow them to play both as deeper lying/dynamic CM's and as advanced midfielders (think Gerrard, Lampard, De Bruyne, Modric, De Jong, Schweinsteiger, Kroos) and I like wingers and forwards to be able to penetrate, beat their defenders, make runs behind the defense, and score goals.

Ødegaard is none of that. I've been following his trajectory since late 2014 and he's never developed into a CM (not even in Real Sociedad), he's more of a LAM/CAM that that doesn't have much positional variety and other than his passing he doesn't have many weapons. He's been over hyped since day one, and if there wasn't COVID i'd like to see RM selling him for 45-55 million, but I don't think Real Madrid will want to sell him unfortunately.

It's telling that with Zidane there was never an inkling of Zidane trying to mold Ødegaard into the Modric role, Zidane always played Ødegaard as a CAM, when he wasn't injured that is. I don't think Zidane is a big fan at all, it'd be nice to see Ødegaard push his exit and he could leave for 30-35 million perhaps.
Players like him, Ceballos and all those kids Real played against Chelsea aren’t good enough for a team like Real Madrid in my opinion.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Agree completely was this. To be fair to Ødegaard, 4 months was never enough time for him to showcase his full ability. He had a few really good performances (West Ham away springs to mind), but I don't think we can justify spending big money on him. There is no way he's getting a game at Madrid next season ahead of Kroos/Modric/Valverde, especially with Benzema who performs the role of a 9 and 10.

The style of player you mention is definitely the way football is going. The traditional number 10 I'd a dying breed. To be that style of player, you have to be a physical beast and be able to play at number 8 or out wide. I'm thinking of a guys like Mount for example.

I'd like to see Arsenal invest heavily in players of the style you mentioned there (we obviously won't get that type of quality), guys that can break pressure and receive the ball in tight areas, but who are also physical enough to be able to pressure the other team high up the pitch. Players like that are vital in the modern game. A younger version of a guy like Wijnaldum would be ideal for this squad.

OSBK

Established Member
Good work by the arsenal board again. Bring in another fancy name who adds nothing to keep the fans off their back for 6 months.

Send him back please

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I like Ødegaard but he was poor last night. I've said before that my preference is for another loan, give us the whole season, with fans and a different manager, then see how it goes. Now we have no European football he may not want to stay anyway.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Such a crap player, his whole career is based off hype of when he was 15. No one cares about youth football at this level he's a lower league type player, he's like Özil if Özil was sh*t.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Think he's a great talent and I even said him coming here was a mistake for him, cause people will think he's bad when he is not.

Hopefully good young players wise up and stay away from here until we have better ownership.

Breezy ®

You're delusional if you think his hype is based off anything other than him being good as a teenager, he needs to go back to Real Sociedad or whatever that's his level not Real Madrid.

giphy.gif

blaze_of_glory

Can't judge him coming into this team halfway through the season. If we are gonna say Partey deserves next year (and we should) then surely that applies to Ode too given Partey has had longer to make an impact and been just as disappointing. Though of course there's every chance Ode is gone regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom