• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Martin Ødegaard: Öde To Joy

Will Ødegaard get over 10 G/A in the Premier League this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
What makes him better than ESR? Not seeing anything.
Think he has a better killer ball than ESR, has played Auba through on goal a few times over the 2 legs with some lovely passes including that slight offside goal last night. With some better finishing in the first leg he'd have a couple more assists to his name as well.

Overall I think he's a better player than ESR currently but I still prefer ESR to him at 10 as ESR can't link up the same with Saka from LW and we've also lost Pepe when he was in good form.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ødegaard is a better 10 than ESR. More creative, far better final pass, etc.

I don't think so. I think when ESR plays 10 it unlocks the team. He can fill in either wide positions and run beyond. He also arrives in the box and has more physicality in the press. He is also faster with the ball and can carry it up the field.

I don't like Ødegaard at 10, he slows us down and although he can pick a pass, I don't think he offers enough to the team as if focused on he can easily be shut out of the game.

I think his passing range is underutilised and underrated. I think he can easily do what Xhaka does with more security in possession and the ability to receive on the half turn.

I'd like to seem him alongside Partey as we tuck in Bellerin anyway with ESR ahead of the two. Pepe left, Saka right and Auba up top.

AW49

I'm not sure he's ever played in a double pivot? I think he's only ever been wide, 10 or 8 in a 4-3-3? Might be something worth exploring in these final league games though when they're not going to mean a lot.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I'm not sure he's ever played in a double pivot? I think he's only ever been wide, 10 or 8 in a 4-3-3? Might be something worth exploring in these final league games though when they're not going to mean a lot.
Lol correct.

Not sure where it’s come from but I might be missing something. When I’ve seen him for national team it’s been on the right or #10. Someone native can confirm them.

When he was at Vitesse it was mostly on the right.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I actually disagree. Not to offend the ESR fans but he just runs around.

He creates chances in a different way, creating and running into space and yes like you said the press. That killer pass however, I’m yet to see it from him at this level.

He’s made out to be this brainbox player but he’s really not, he runs into space and always makes himself available for the one two pass. For me, that’s the extent of his creative passing - I think Ødegaard is way more of a traditional 10 than he is. ESR has urgency over Ødegaard, but for me that’s about it.

I see ESR as more of a no.8 if anything.

Ødegaard is a traditional 10, ESR is a modern day 10. ESR is the Kroos that our team has needed for a long time.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don't think so. I think when ESR plays 10 it unlocks the team. He can fill in either wide positions and run beyond. He also arrives in the box and has more physicality in the press. He is also faster with the ball and can carry it up the field.

I don't like Ødegaard at 10, he slows us down and although he can pick a pass, I don't think he offers enough to the team as if focused on he can easily be shut out of the game.
He has urgency and industry over Ødegaard, but like said that accurate killer pass I've not seen it from ESR at this level. The extent of his creativity is running into space and being available for one-two combinations.

He's not as brainy as a player people often like to make out in my opinion, but he runs around a lot which is pleasing to the fan watching.

I see ESR more of a no.8 than a 10 personally, I'd sooner put him alongside Partey than Ødegaard who is a bit lightweight and not as hurried in comparison.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Apparently he's still in Madrid's long-term plans...**sigh**...guess i'll have to become an Aouar stan again around about May/June time.

Reactions: A_G

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
He's a good player who can help us not embarrass ourselves any further, while allowing us not to run ESR in to the ground completely. Can't see us getting to keep him long term if he really performs.

Let's face it, our squads not that great, full of potential with not enough top performing seniors around to carry the squad. We needed quality bodies In midfield not to be watching a lot of El Nenny.

Pyres7

Ødegaard gets his head up and looks for the final pass as soon as he gets the ball, like Fabregas used to. ESR doesn't do that, he almost always goes for the quick one touch pass to the nearest player and moves into space. Different styles of play, that's all.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Don't really see the Kroos comparisons for EsR. Could be a Marchisio type player for us though, he makes the team click when he's on it.

Ødegaard has a much superior final pass. Would be interested to see Ødegaard play deeper like Cesc used to, and break forward to support the attack.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Lol correct.

Not sure where it’s come from but I might be missing something. When I’ve seen him for national team it’s been on the right or #10. Someone native can confirm them.

When he was at Vitesse it was mostly on the right.
He played as an 8 in a 4-4-2 under Lars Lagerbeck for Norway. I think we've discussed this before, but it could be too lightweight for the Premier League.

Long term I think that could be a very good position for him.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Incidently a bit interesting that he mentioned Fabregas as a player he admired. I always thought he should look to the way Fabregas and Pirlo played. Granted, that type of vision and understanding of the game is very difficult to aquire.

OSBK

Established Member
Imo esr could be a great box to box goalscoring midfielder playing as a 8 or 10. He could emulate ramsey and fingers crossed avoid injury and reach that level. He has already shown he can carry the ball and arrive late into the box, his awareness to run beyond and stretch the play is very good.

Ødegaard, who i dont dislike but i dont think he is what we need. Yes we need creativity and he can supply that but i dont ever see Ødegaard reaching fernandes or kdb level. He isnt built for this league to excel in that physical way. He would kill it a bayern type of team. I personally think saka can do everything odergaard can do but just alot better already.

Impact

Established Member
I think a lot has been made out about Smith Rowe's new role but it's not that different from his previous one.

When we attack we have players covering the five key zones.
  • Aubameyang (striker)
  • Tierney (wide left)
  • Smith-Rowe (left half space)
  • Ødegaard (right half space)
  • Saka (wide right)
We are playing with both Smith Rowe and Ødegaard as duel 10s. This thread shows it helpfully with videos:

bergholt

Ødegaard gets his head up and looks for the final pass as soon as he gets the ball, like Fabregas used to. ESR doesn't do that, he almost always goes for the quick one touch pass to the nearest player and moves into space. Different styles of play, that's all.

I suspect the right combination for chance creation/goalscoring is:

Partey
Saka Ødegaard ESR Auba
Laca

ESR running around in midfield making space for Ødegaard to play key passes, Saka and Auba overlapping to receive, Laca dropping deep and playing with back to goal. Partey single pivot anchoring the whole thing. And full-backs heading down the wings too.

We'd see a lot more goals if we ran out like that. But presumably it wouldn't be strong enough in defence.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Always preferred Cesc deeper tbh, thought he was an excellent centre mid, he was expectational for us from 2004-2008 from deep.

His numbers were still great as an AM, though I think it had a slightly negative affect on his all round game.

On Martin...have seen near enough to trust him from deeper in the field though, think he's much better as a AM.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Always much preferred Cesc deeper tbh, thought he was an excellent centre mid, he was expectational for us from 2004-2008 from deep.

His numbers were still great as an AM, though I think it had a slightly negative affect on his all round game.

On Martin...have seen near enough to trust him from deeper in the field though, think he's much better as a AM.

I think Wenger actually wanted athleticism a bit deeper, and his preferred options were Diaby and Song but there was a major problem as Diaby was always injured, then tried Ramsey/Wilshere there later on. Also Cesc became something of a talisman for the team especially after Adebayor left and Van Persie still had injury issues, the team almost became reliant on Cesc for his output.

Legend14

Established Member
He has urgency and industry over Ødegaard, but like said that accurate killer pass I've not seen it from ESR at this level. The extent of his creativity is running into space and being available for one-two combinations.

He's not as brainy as a player people often like to make out in my opinion, but he runs around a lot which is pleasing to the fan watching.

I see ESR more of a no.8 than a 10 personally, I'd sooner put him alongside Partey than Ødegaard who is a bit lightweight and not as hurried in comparison.
Killer pass can’t be your only attribute at this level. ESRs movement alone creates opportunities, along with everything else I’ve said about him. He is worth two players on the pitch. Ødegaard is a fine player, but he has not shown me he is a better fit for this team than ESR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom