• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo_ense_

AnthonyG Survivor
The Ødegaard Arsenal have signed, is the one for his displays as a Sociedad player, this is really the latest benchmark of his capabilities, he hasnt had much to show since he returned to Madrid and then loaned into a disjointed Arsenal team where the preformance levels of most Arsenal players were random up and down.

If you take those Sociedad performances into consideration, then sureley Arsenal have just signed one of the best young creators globally. Who else is on the market, for under 50m who could perform to those kind of levels....

Madrid are a club who are notorious for signing players for large sums who walk into the starting 11, they bought Ødegaard while he was still in his teens and didnt really integrate him, but you could see while he was at Vitesse and Sociedad that he has the technical qualities to fit into most probably any side in the world.

So for 30-40m, crazy good business, may be worth double that in a year and imo it is a huge step forward for Arsenal with him in the side.

People don’t realise how good he was that season. The last fully settled season he played. Unreal

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Ødegaard needs to improve his goals/assists if he wants to be in the same category as those players imo.

But nothing will change with Arteta as our manager and our one chance a game football.
He had a bunch of preassists. You just have to see his highlights to know that he was involved in everythign good that Arsenal did.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Doesn't that chart show he only played 8 league games from January, he wasn't really there when the heat was in for City.

Felt he didn't deserve it last year, Gundogan was more worthy than him...was terrible in the Champions League final too.
Gundongan was fantastic I agree.

City's title run really got kickstarted when he took the reigns in the middle of the park in my opinion.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Imagine if we actually got fooled into paying 70m for Maddison judging by those stats and his injury record.

I like him but if you’re paying that sort of money, you need a Bruno type of player with a high level of productivity.

I think it's because he reminds people of Wilshere, who was our chav...reminds them of better times and better football, so they were willing to overpay for him.

Nostalgia can destroy you, if you don't master it!

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

He had a bunch of preassists. You just have to see his highlights to know that he was involved in everythign good that Arsenal did.

It’s all nice with the pre assists etc but in this current era players are judged at the end of every season by goals/assists by fans. That’s why a lot of players we liked in the 90s or 00s generation wouldn’t survive in this current era imo.

Ødegaard will be judged by his goals/assists just like Auba for example was criticised last season for not scoring enough. Very harsh but it’s how things are nowadays.

Diesel

So @Diesel is a Leicester troll? Because I haven't replied or tagged that Leicester waste yute in more than a week. It's not me feeding him. What about the numerous posts of Arsenal fans in here praising our Ødegaard business but knocking on Maddison? I rate Maddison so I will back him, with or without a Leicester troll occupying you rent free.
I think you have over analyzed the post like many on here do. Had to respond to someone just yesterday because they said losing aouar to Sp**s was akin to modric. Your over reacting. Maddison isnt terrible its his recent injuries that cause concern.

If you have ever played sports you would know hips are one of the worst injuries to deal with because you need them to you know ****ing move.

If he has to ever get the surgery. They usually take 18 months to recover. And they are usually 60 to 80 percent of the player they used to be. But i guess this is arsenal and your okay with injury prone players being brought in for some stupendous fee because they are British. Tell me if hes so good how come no one else wants him? Being british and all with your 200 chances created post surely everyone in top 6 outside Leicester would want... so he will get sold if we dont buy him right?

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I think it's because he reminds people of Wilshere, who was our chav...reminds them of better times and better football, so they were willing to overpay for him.

Nostalgia can destroy you, if you don't master it!
Maddison was a wishlist player I'd say, 2 seasons ago?

Hasn't really kicked on due to injury and stuff and his stock dropped. Only reason it was remotely possible he was joining us.

Riou

Gundongan was fantastic I agree.

City's title run really got kickstarted when he took the reigns in the middle of the park in my opinion.

He scored one of my fav goals last season, when City beat Sp**s.

As he shot, Sanchez tried to block it by like face planting on the ground...clown :lol:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I just think everything's gonna be okay, you know? And maybe the real top 4 was the friends we made along the way.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It has games played and states the start which is Jan, it's better than a lot of the statistics that get posted around here.

All 5 are great players. Fernandes and KDB are obviously a cut above looking at their numbers in correlation to their sample size.

Where this falls down is it doesn't take into account the teams they are in but nothing is perfect. I think Ødegaard with the games he played holds up ok there goals aside.
A player can play 18 games, but get only 180 minutes. Or he can play 18 games and get 1620 minutes.

It's pretty obvious why such charts without minutes are misleading.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I hate this narrative now that we're signing Ødegaard, that Maddison is now "average." Tell me how this is average? Edgy posts just for a couple likes. This forum is a shambles.

E65OP36XoAIKih7

The chances created from open play per game was the statistic that Maddison was pretty low on compared to other creative midfielders Ødegaard included and was the thing that worried me the most with the link.

His set pieces, dribbling and goal scoring were all top notch with Maddison. But Ødegaard is the much superior pass master, which we needed more

The fact Leicester fans weren't that bothered about losing him is also somewhat telling.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I think you have over analyzed the post like many on here do. Had to respond to someone just yesterday because they said losing aouar to Sp**s was akin to modric. Your over reacting. Maddison isnt terrible its his recent injuries that cause concern.

If you have ever played sports you would know hips are one of the worst injuries to deal with because you need them to you know ****ing move.

If he has to ever get the surgery. They usually take 18 months to recover. And they are usually 60 to 80 percent of the player they used to be. But i guess this is arsenal and your okay with injury prone players being brought in for some stupendous fee because they are British. Tell me if hes so good how come no one else wants him? Being british and all with your 200 chances created post surely everyone in top 6 outside Leicester would want... so he will get sold if we dont buy him right?
You said Maddison is average. I said how? You said wait until next season. What did I over analyze? Where does 'terrible' come from?

What other top 6 side has as deficient creating issues as we do? Leicester has finished above us the past two seasons and Maddison would be an absolute wish list if his stock hadn't dropped. I think he'll get over the issues and still be a top player, he's only 24.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

The chances created from open play per game was the statistic that Maddison was pretty low on compared to other creative midfielders Ødegaard included and was the thing that worried me the most with the link.

His set pieces, dribbling and goal scoring were all top notch with Maddison. But Ødegaard is the much superior pass master, which we needed more

The fact Leicester fans weren't that bothered about losing him is also somewhat telling.
Leicester changed their formation last season and Maddison hasn't been as central to their attack as Tielemans who is really ball dominant carrying it from box to box. I think it's extremely telling that once healthy Maddison was slotting right back into their side. Leicester has always made a big sale every summer, it's crucial to their strategy so I don't think that's an issue.

I have a differing opinion that Ødegaard would've suited our Wenger ball days but the current crop of Arsenal players need something more direct than Ødegaard. I do like Ødegaard though, just feel he's sort of wasted in this setup. We don't play through the middle, we don't make runs off defenders. We're very much a transition team and focusing on the flanks to put balls into the box.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

A player can play 18 games, but get only 180 minutes. Or he can play 18 games and get 1620 minutes.

It's pretty obvious why such charts are misleading.
Well that's why eye test is important and why it's foolish to look at stats alone.

Ødegaard from what I remember started in most of his appearances shortly after he joined, so no it's not pinpoint but I find it hard to argue with that graphic.

I don't think Ødegaard even looks bad there, he was doing his job - needs to score more though and we don't need Opta to tell us that.

Riou

It’s all nice with the pre assists etc but in this current era players are judged at the end of every season by goals/assists by fans. That’s why a lot of players we liked in the 90s or 00s generation wouldn’t survive in this current era imo.

Ødegaard will be judged by his goals/assists just like Auba for example was criticised last season for not scoring enough. Very harsh but it’s how things are nowadays.

I wonder if the stats thing, also adds to the myth about Vieira being a DM?

Hleb is another one, it took him 3 full seasons just to get double figures in league goals here , man would have been killed these days :lol:

Diesel

You said Maddison is average. I said how? You said wait until next season. What did I over analyze? Where does 'terrible' come from?

What other top 6 side has as deficient creating issues as we do? Leicester has finished above us the past two seasons and Maddison would be an absolute wish list if his stock hadn't dropped. I think he'll get over the issues and still be a top player, he's only 24.

Alright. You like him alot more than ode. Thats fine. I think there's alot of fluff when people talk about him. Thats my opinion.

His injuries alone would make me nervous to buy him for 40 million let alone 60-70. Would have been typical arsenal though to buy someone and pretend the kind of injuries hes having before his 25th bday would just go away.

The maddison is average thing really got you though. So I'll amend. Hes above avg but injury prone.

samshere

Why so serieuse?

By opposition fans who don't watch Arsenal play maybe. Arsenal fans will recognize his quality.

Alexs

On the internet, yes, but for match going fans it's always the eye test that matters. If Auba carries on not scoring but tracking back to LWB Arteta will get the blame. Actually, Arteta will get the blame for just about any failure.

Riou

Maddison is a quality player, but we are not signing him, we are signing Ødegaard...who cares how good James is now.

So we are backing our player!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom