• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Martin Ødegaard

Who would you rather sign?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
How did De Bruyne win player of the year last season :lol:
Because he openly led the battle against players taking pay cuts at the start of covid lockdown. It was the players' player of the year
They won the league because he got injured & they got to go on a run but some people here never actually watches them play & act like he is the best player in the world or something. Media & the players for some reason love him & his bald fraud manager

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

On the internet, yes, but for match going fans it's always the eye test that matters. If Auba carries on not scoring but tracking back to LWB Arteta will get the blame. Actually, Arteta will get the blame for just about any failure.

Social media has a much bigger influence than we think it does and even a platform like AFTV can brainwash fans into believing that a player is underperforming.

The point I was making was just not the internet but it’ll be pundits and the rest of the media pushing through those agendas. A player can score 4 goals in one game and not do nothing for the next 3 games but people will be saying he’s doing good because he has 4 in 4.

This is the stats generation.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Well that's why eye test is important and why it's foolish to look at stats alone.

Ødegaard from what I remember started in most of his appearances shortly after he joined, so no it's not pinpoint but I find it hard to argue with that graphic.

I don't think Ødegaard even looks bad there, he was doing his job - needs to score more though and we don't need Opta to tell us that.
All I'm saying is that those charts without minutes are misleading. Nothing to do with how good those players are or are not.

For example Fernandes played 1538 minutes in that time frame, while Ødegaard 866 minutes. That's about 44 % less of game-time.

Obviously that will affect his numbers compared to others.. Can't bother to check those other players.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Because he openly led the battle against players taking pay cuts at the start of covid lockdown. It was the players' player of the year
They won the league because he got injured & they got to go on a run but some people here never actually watches them play & act like he is the best player in the world or something. Media & the players for some reason love him & his bald fraud manager

So he got the Ryan Giggs 2009 player of the year award, not a real one...good.to know!

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I wonder if the stats thing, also adds to the myth about Vieira being a DM?

Hleb is another one, it took him 3 full seasons just to get double figures in league goals here , man would have been killed these days :lol:

Hleb was actually one of my favourite players when he came here but he would have been slaughtered on here.

I remember a few fans questioning him when he was leaving and a small section of our fans saying he didn’t score or assist enough, that was the beginning of this era. People were saying that Nasri was d*ckless too because he wasn’t productive enough.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Hleb was actually one of my favourite players when he came here but he would have been slaughtered on here.

I remember a few fans questioning him when he was leaving and a small section of our fans saying he didn’t score or assist enough, that was the beginning of this era. People were saying that Nasri was d*ckless too because he wasn’t productive enough.

Hleb was the first time I really remember the "pre-assist" becoming a thing.

Was a proper Wengerball player though, was almost impossible to get the ball of him.

Remember when we played Birmingham in 2010 and Alex did an interview about playing against us, he asked for the Birmingham shirt to be taken down and an Arsenal one put up behind him.

Great way to endear yourself to your new team :lol:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

All I'm saying is that those charts without minutes are misleading. Nothing to do with how good those players are or are not.

For example Fernandes played 1538 minutes in that time frame, while Ødegaard 866 minutes. That's about 44 % less of game-time.

Obviously that will affect his numbers compared to others.. Can't bother to check those other players.
And there is a funny notion in that chart too. They started it from 27th January when Ødegaard was announced and at least Bruno played that day.

While naturally Ødegaard won't play straight away after announcement, but played 30th January his first game. 😄

Why not start from Ødegaard's first game? Looks a bit fishy to me.

Alexs

Social media has a much bigger influence than we think it does and even a platform like AFTV can brainwash fans into believing that a player is underperforming.

The point I was making was just not the internet but it’ll be pundits and the rest of the media pushing through those agendas. A player can score 4 goals in one game and not do nothing for the next 3 games but people will be saying he’s doing good because he has 4 in 4.

This is the stats generation.
It’s a subtle difference but back in the day it would be ’Ramsdale who?’ and now it’s ’Ramsdale why?’

TakeChillPill

Established Member

Hleb was one of my favourite players too, absolutely useless in front of goal, but I've never seen a better player at keeping the ball in tight spaces and dribbling out of trouble then him in an arsenal shirt....yes even better then Santi.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Hleb was one of my favourite players too, absolutely useless in front of goal, but I've never seen a better player at keeping the ball in tight spaces and dribbling out of trouble then him in an arsenal shirt....yes even better then Santi.
He was unreal in that aspect. A really original and a bit strange player, really enjoyed watching him.Still haven't gotten over that we weren't given a pen at the Emirates in the QF in the CL when Kuyt pulled him down.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
It’s all nice with the pre assists etc but in this current era players are judged at the end of every season by goals/assists by fans. That’s why a lot of players we liked in the 90s or 00s generation wouldn’t survive in this current era imo.

Ødegaard will be judged by his goals/assists just like Auba for example was criticised last season for not scoring enough. Very harsh but it’s how things are nowadays.

No, the people in charge who actually know stuff and do it for a living will look beyond your goals and assists for many deals and with more and more data and better algorithms those less trivial inputs will only rise in significance because you can finally put a value on it.

Auba wasnt criticized just because he aint scoring or assisting, but because he's never been a good all around player that contributes play when he isnt. There's no value when he aint scoring since he is wordclass there but pretty limited in other departments which hurts us

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

The best thing about it was I didn’t really know much about Hleb before we signed him, so it was like a massive surprise to see how good he became. I love those sort of signings similar to Sagna too.

I’m sure @Toby Andrl was really excited when we signed Hleb as he looked excellent at Stuttgart.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

No, the people in charge who actually know stuff and do it for a living will look beyond your goals and assists for many deals and with more and more data and better algorithms those less trivial inputs will only rise in significance because you can finally put a value on it.

Auba wasnt criticized just because he aint scoring or assisting, but because he's never been a good all around player that contributes play when he isnt. There's no value when he aint scoring since he is wordclass there but pretty limited in other departments which hurts us

Do pundits and the average fan have access to these statistics? Many people have a hard time to understand xG, xT, xXx etc so it all seems a bit irrelevant. Players are either judged on the eye test by fans or goal and assists which is why someone like Bruno Fernandes has blown up quite quickly despite his overall game being very limited.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
Hleb was a brilliant player the balance and chemistry we had in that 07/08 midfield hasn’t been matched in the Emirates era. It’s a shame that midfield broke up at the end of the season. Greedy rats Flamini and Hleb ruined their careers and us by leaving.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Hleb was a brilliant player the balance and chemistry we had in that 07/08 midfield hasn’t been matched in the Emirates era. It’s a shame that midfield broke up at the end of the season. Greedy rats Flamini and Hleb ruined their careers and us by leaving.
We were close to something big if we would've kept those players together.....never replaced Gilberto or sol.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I hate this narrative now that we're signing Ødegaard, that Maddison is now "average." Tell me how this is average? Edgy posts just for a couple likes. This forum is a shambles.

E65OP36XoAIKih7

Chance creation is a well dodgy stat though. @HairSprayGooners posted the top 5 for the PL and it had set piece taking full backs and Moutinho in there.

If you hammer crosses and take set pieces you’ll be really high up the list. The stat doesn’t distinguish between dropping it on your strikers head or getting the ball cleared away by the first defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom