• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matt Turner: Head Turner or Head Scratcher?

Legend14

Established Member
Keeper is the last thing I am worried about. He is not like Runarsson at all. Give it a few more matches to make an assessment.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Atleast he's a gooner I guess.

He's getting on with Rob Holding who's an "honorary American" helping him settle in.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
lmao nah he was happy to get a start bro.

I don't actually know what Arsenal are doing with the keepers. I read a while ago they planned to have 2 homegrown players for the #1 and #2 spots to save on foreign player spaces which made a lot of sense.

They seem to have abandoned this now though, wonder how impossible it would be to sign David Raya (their original target before Ramsdale).
It's a complete joke. Leno is a decent keeper, signed 3 years ago. Then Martinez has a breakout season and somehow they end up losing both of them as a result. Runnarson - terrible, so bad that he gets one game to prove himself before being disappeared. Ryan, his replacement, was decent but let go. Then Ramsdale, who I'm fine with but £30m odd on a keeper when we didn't need one is steep to say the least. £80m on White and Ramsdale hardly seems like what we needed to move the squad forward. Now Turner.

I was reading the comments on here thinking "here they go again, we need to give this guy a chance". Watched his match highlights and I agree it's worrying given that's now two in a row. I'm still keeping an open mind on Turner but jeez, it doesn't exactly give you much confidence. The only good thing is that the Kroenke's seem to have the cheque book open now, but still.

Legend14

Established Member
It's a complete joke. Leno is a decent keeper, signed 3 years ago. Then Martinez has a breakout season and somehow they end up losing both of them as a result. Runnarson - terrible, so bad that he gets one game to prove himself before being disappeared. Ryan, his replacement, was decent but let go. Then Ramsdale, who I'm fine with but £30m odd on a keeper when we didn't need one is steep to say the least. £80m on White and Ramsdale hardly seems like what we needed to move the squad forward. Now Turner.

I was reading the comments on here thinking "here they go again, we need to give this guy a chance". Watched his match highlights and I agree it's worrying given that's now two in a row. I'm still keeping an open mind on Turner but jeez, it doesn't exactly give you much confidence. The only good thing is that the Kroenke's seem to have the cheque book open now, but still.
What, in the second game was poor? I wasn’t alarmed while watching it.

Malky

Established Member
Terrible transfer as things stand, literally does no one any favours - Ramsdale has an easy run at first choice now, Turner isn't going to offer much competiton and if Ramsdale is in Newcastle performance form, or injured, we're ****ed.
Hopefully one of the younger keepers steps up this season.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Did you not see him repeatedly coming acres out of the goal when we were dominating possession only to have to scramble back. He almost conceded one like that in the 2nd half. He was also stunningly poor at controlling the ball when it was played back to him. Were it not for Everton being absolutely dire and not really pressing effectively his sloppiness would have led to at least 1 goal conceded. He looks like someone who has only ever played FIFA and now is trying to learn a position on the fly at the highest level.

Legend14

Established Member
Did you not see him repeatedly coming acres out of the goal when we were dominating possession only to have to scramble back. He almost conceded one like that in the 2nd half. He was also stunningly poor at controlling the ball when it was played back to him. Were it not for Everton being absolutely dire and not really pressing effectively his sloppiness would have led to at least 1 goal conceded. He looks like someone who has only ever played FIFA and now is trying to learn a position on the fly at the highest level.
I did see the play when he had to scramble back. We had easy possession up the field and someone gave it away. Everton immediately took a shot on goal from 60. Where should he have been when we turned it over, on his goal line? To me, a good recovery after field players gave it away.

Didn’t see him poor at controlling the ball in the back at all. Maybe I was focused on something else. Saw the point blank save and our right back kick it out of bounds. Not sure what he could do there other than catch the screamer.

Not sure how good or bad he is at this point because I have not seen enough. The first game I thought he could have saved both shots. Second game I thought he was fine.

I love that he has the challenge of impressing everyone, as he should. I’ll bet on the American in the end.

Legend14

Established Member
Terrible transfer as things stand, literally does no one any favours - Ramsdale has an easy run at first choice now, Turner isn't going to offer much competiton and if Ramsdale is in Newcastle performance form, or injured, we're ****ed.
Hopefully one of the younger keepers steps up this season.
Could be right, but early, early conclusion.

I’ll wait to see.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
As I said, I definitely don't want to write him off yet, or start that narrative in here even. He didn't concede so that's a big positive with a few good saves in there, but his positioning seemed suspect and he generally just seemed a bit awkward and chaotic. I've shared the video below so people can make their own mind up. Hopefully it was just new team nerves.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
He was highly rated beforehand apparently, would have to hope it's just nerves although doesn't bode well if he's this shaky for a pre-season match. Either way 6m for a 28yo keeper from a joke league is a piss take.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
How many times must this be repeated?

Martinez wanted to be guaranteed first choice while Arteta said he would have to keep fighting with Leno for the number one spot. Martinez didn't want that and left for Aston Villa so he could be undisputed first choice.

If it was up to Arteta Martinez would've stayed and fought for his place (and kept it if he kept his form up).

Ofcourse Mikel had a choice.

Like I said, at the time, Emi, much like Ramsdale at the start of last season, was the better keeper at the time. The ball was in our court because he had 2 years left, and he was worth a LOT more than £17m as Argentina’s first choice and statistically behind only Alisson & Ederson at the time.

All he had to tell him was that this is a meritocracy and right now, you’re my number 1 - until there’s a reason to change that, I won’t.

It’s exactly what Wenger did with Manninger when Seaman returned from injury. As we’re finding out, no goalkeeper who is above average EVER wants anything other than to be first choice.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
His form is a bit of a worry although highlights don't tell the full story. I'm left hoping that the clown moments will all come put in pre season and that maybe Kroenke is using him to pump money in to the club lol. Puts a question mark over Inaki Cana too if this is another unserviceable GK.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I read a while ago they planned to have 2 homegrown players for the #1 and #2 spots to save on foreign player spaces which made a lot of sense.
I’d have taken Ben Foster for that tbh. Guy already loves Ramsdale so there wouldn’t be any tension in the dressing room

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Do we still have the same GK coach who recommended Runarsson? This guy needs to be sent into space with Bezos.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
A lot of people were using Zac Steffen as a comparison etc. He's been deemed not good enough to back up Ederson and sent to the Championship so maybe Turner is actually of similar level which would indicate he isnt good enough for us.

Big worry relying on a GK who's played at such a low level.

Gunners1616

He was highly rated beforehand apparently, would have to hope it's just nerves although doesn't bode well if he's this shaky for a pre-season match. Either way 6m for a 28yo keeper from a joke league is a piss take.

Yeah not convinced so far. He also seems too nice... I can already see him getting bullied on corners.

We should just keep Leno and let him run down his contract. He'll keep Ramsdale on his toes and we are not getting more than 10 if we sell him.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
He kept a clean sheet against Mexico in the CONCACAF Gold Cup final so he should be used to high pressure situations but maybe this step up is big for him and he's on edge. Let's see if he calms down.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom