• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Matt Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

REWB

And out goes another in Leno. Clearing the decks while signing nobody. This club is a joke.
come on @The_Playmaker Did you hit your head on the wall recently or something? whats this dumb logic? We need to sell squad players on high wages like Leno as quickly as possible. Obviously signings will come in, if not now then in the summer...why are you moaning?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Never seen him play, never heard of him. Wasn't even sure what a New England Revolution is.

Saying that if you're going to sign a random American, GK is the position to do it. They've produced some decent ones during the PL era.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Aye it’s all fun and games and good luck to him until Ramsdale picks up a 3 month injury and a guy from MLS suddenly has to play PL football with millions of demanding Arsenal fans critiquing his every move. Has he got the mental facilities for that?

HomeSteak

Established Member
What a signing this is. Did not think our january can be so good. Take a bow Edu, can close the transfer window if you ask me, we have won. Top 4 done.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Aye it’s all fun and games and good luck to him until Ramsdale picks up a 3 month injury and a guy from MLS suddenly has to play PL football with millions of demanding Arsenal fans critiquing his every move. Has he got the mental facilities for that?
After Ramsdale, I'm quite confident in our GK scouting. He is 1st or 2nd keeper for USA, competing with City's Steffen.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
People question these backup gk signings alot all teams don't have top backup the very good keeper will want to start like emi and now Leno.

Not sure if any top 6 team in Europe have a good backup keeper apart from utd maybe and Henderson Wil likely leave in summer.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
People question these backup gk signings alot all teams don't have top backup the very good keeper will want to start like emi and now Leno.

Not sure if any top 6 team in Europe have a good backup keeper apart from utd maybe and Henderson Wil likely leave in summer.
Nobody's asking for a top back up. We just want a competent one and not another Runnarson.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Nobody's asking for a top back up. We just want a competent one and not another Runnarson.
If he starting ahead of man city backup steffan with US national team then I'm sure he better than Runarson who was back up for ligue 1 side

AmeriGooner

He had previously played at Galatasary so had some experience outside of America. Also made his US debut very young.

There's plenty of Americans on this forum and haven't seen anyone say that this guy is a PL level goalkeeper.

Selling Leno for 10m to sign this fella for 5m is crazy. Leave it to summer sell Leno for 7m and buy a proper back up or find someone senior who is out of contact. Finding a decent number 2 isn't difficult.
Longtime lurker here, I made an account just to respond to this post.

I’ve seen quite a bit of Matt Turner: all of his games with the USMNT, and a fair amount with New England. Here’s how I would report his ability:

Strengths: VERY good shot stopper, with quick reflexes. He commands his box well, is very brave and has great length. Believe it or not, I have actually had more instances where I was stunned by one of his miraculous saves than one of Ramsdale’s. I think they are comparable shot stoppers. Here’s a link to a highlight reel to see some of them:
Weaknesses: He has improved his distribution, but he definitely has a way to go. Often looks for the first open player to get the ball to, and not the one best poised to kick start an attack. He doesn’t often make mistakes with the ball at his feet, but he looks downright uncomfortable with it there. You’ll see what I mean. At times I think he could be more vocal and demonstrative with his back line.

Overall, there’s quite an argument between Steffen and Turner for the US #1, but Turner’s ability to keep a clean sheet makes him a clear favorite for me. I think he’ll be a reliable #2 for us, especially in games when we dont have to rely on the counter as much. Though I am glad of having an American on Arsenal, I do think this is not good for the USMNT to have their top two keepers riding the pine right before a World Cup.

TLDR; you guys will like him.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

I’ve seen quite a bit of Matt Turner: all of his games with the USMNT, and a fair amount with New England. Here’s how I would report his ability:

Strengths: VERY good shot stopper, with quick reflexes. He commands his box well, is very brave and has great length. Believe it or not, I have actually had more instances where I was stunned by one of his miraculous saves than one of Ramsdale’s. I think they are comparable shot stoppers. Here’s a link to a highlight reel to see some of them:
Weaknesses: He has improved his distribution, but he definitely has a way to go. Often looks for the first open player to get the ball to, and not the one best poised to kick start an attack. He doesn’t often make mistakes with the ball at his feet, but he looks downright uncomfortable with it there. You’ll see what I mean. At times I think he could be more vocal and demonstrative with his back line.

Overall, there’s quite an argument between Steffen and Turner for the US #1, but Turner’s ability to keep a clean sheet makes him a clear favorite for me. I think he’ll be a reliable #2 for us, especially in games when we dont have to rely on the counter as much. Though I am glad of having an American on Arsenal, I do think this is not good for the USMNT to have their top two keepers riding the pine right before a World Cup.

Great post, cheers. He looks like an astute signing, no problem with us keeping our powder dry on a reserve keeper who is a decent shot stopper.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Thanks for the review! Good to have some inside from someone who has actually watched him a fair bit. Hopefully he can be a decent asset to us and at 27 should be able to service us 4 or 5 years.

AmeriGooner

Great post, cheers. He looks like an astute signing, no problem with us keeping our powder dry on a reserve keeper who is a decent shot stopper.
I forgot to mention he was MLS goalkeeper of the year last year and the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup gold glove winner. I remember thinking at the time he was snubbed for player of the tournament, as he only allowed one goal in the whole tournament.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I forgot to mention he was MLS goalkeeper of the year last year and the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup gold glove winner. I remember thinking at the time he was snubbed for player of the tournament, as he only allowed one goal in the whole tournament.
Watched the Revs run because of Tajon Buchanan and Turner was rock solid. Thanks for the post as I was initially the lone wolf combatting the ignorance towards the MLS and American/Canadian talents. I agree with your earlier statement that Turner vs. Steffen is a toss up and it's tough to have both keepers as a back up prior to the WC. One must say though, Turner went from undrafted signee to now one of the biggest clubs in England. Phenomenal.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
We have had some very decent US keepers in the prem.
This guy has been voted MVP so should be more than good enough backup.
He may be good enough to start for some?
So its looking very decent if he is on half the money of Leno 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom