• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matteo Guendouzi: 2019/20 Performances

How much do you love Guendouzi?

• Very much

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • Très beaucoup

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • More than my mother

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpower2540

Does anyone else think there’s a case for this guy to be dropped in tricky away games? Watching him try to defend corners makes me cringe. Don’t get me wrong I love his personality on the ball but his physical power and lack of athleticism really worries me in this type of game......the other plank next to him doesn’t really help either.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Does anyone else think there’s a case for this guy to be dropped in tricky away games? Watching him try to defend corners makes me cringe. Don’t get me wrong I love his personality on the ball but his physical power and lack of athleticism really worries me in this type of game......the other plank next to him doesn’t really help either.

And who do we we replace him with that will provide power and athleticism? Torreira is even slower and is easily brushed off the ball and Ceballos is both weak and slow.

Guendouzi still has a lot to work on but he`s the least of our problems at the moment.

Ashybashy86

Watch the goal again and tell me where Captain Xhaka was and what he was doing?

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
In my book he's currently behind Willock for the number 8 position because he's too slow on the ball and quite vulnerable when pressed (he mostly gets away with it, but it often makes me nervous).

He does have a lot going for him though, and it certainly doesn't help he's playing next to Xhaka. However, he's also the player whose the most vulnerable when played next to Xhaka because there are quite some similarities between the two (they both have a tendency to drop deep, can't really beat the press - though Guendouzi can actually make forward runs - and they're both looking for long balls).

I'm still not entirely sure how to get the best out of him though, which also makes me unsure about him. Torreira doesn't seem the best partner for him either.

Ashybashy86

In my book he's currently behind Willock for the number 8 position because he's too slow on the ball and quite vulnerable when pressed (he mostly gets away with it, but it often makes me nervous).

He does have a lot going for him though, and it certainly doesn't help he's playing next to Xhaka. However, he's also the player whose the most vulnerable when played next to Xhaka because there are quite some similarities between the two (they both have a tendency to drop deep, can't really beat the press - though Guendouzi can actually make forward runs - and they're both looking for long balls).

I'm still not entirely sure how to get the best out of him though, which also makes me unsure about him. Torreira doesn't seem the best partner for him either.
Solution: Drop Xhaka. Play any of the other midfielders.

mpower2540

Then again all
And who do we we replace him with that will provide power and athleticism? Torreira is even slower and is easily brushed off the ball and Ceballos is both weak and slow.

Guendouzi still has a lot to work on but he`s the least of our problems at the moment.

Yeah fair point, Willock maybe? You’re probably right, just a personal preference but I don’t think he deserves to be a nailed on starter every week. I also think he can look pretty limited as well as a player. I just don’t feel that same excitement that others do about him I guess

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Is there any point blaming individual players? They're all being so grossly mismanaged. Guendouzi is a young player still and probably shouldn't be relied upon as a guaranteed starter anyways. You have to be careful tho, if you drop him but persist with someone like Sokratis who's making errors constantly it looks really harsh on Guendouzi. Same with someone like Xhaka, Guendouzi might be thinking "hold on why am I the one being dropped when I've been one of our better performers this season?"

mpower2540

I wouldn’t mind seeing Willock and Torreira as the MF two with Özil at 10. Not perfect by any means but far more balanced than the current one. As you say tho the debate is pointless with the current system/manager in place. I’m just praying for the days when Kolasinac, Sokratis, Xhaka and to a lesser extent Chambers are a distant memory

Dutch D

Solution: Drop Xhaka. Play Douzi, Willock and Ceballos
My line of thinking is currently leading me to: Torreira - Özil - Willock.
This will improve the fluidity of our play I think. Alternatively, I'd actually opt for ESR, although I do not know what his situation is.

Ashybashy86

Willock, Torreira, Ceballos, and even Saka have played in the 10 role. If Xhaka must play (we know he will), and Özil won't play (we all know he won't), maybe Guendouzi should be tried further forward? Then Willock can partner Xhaka. Still not ideal, but I can't stand the redundancy with Xhaka/Guendouzi partnership.

Dutch D

I think I'd go with the following if Xhaka has to play:
Torreira
Xhaka - Willock

Guendouzi will be the victim of forcing Xhaka into the starting line-up. I think that's inevitable, because he's most similar to Xhaka.

I'd rather give ESR a go if Özil is not playing though.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I thoght Guendouzi played well yesterday to be honest... I had him as our second best player after Pepe (I know its not saying much)

nick gould

Matteo, Matteo, Matteo! Need I say more? What a player he is becoming. I am beginning to think he is deceptively quick as well. He seems to find it easy to accelerate away from players effortlessly. The fact that they leave him behind as the last man when we are taking corners means his teammates and manager have a lot of faith in him to deal with defensive situations wisely.

Unai may lose his job, but he will be remembered for sticking with this boy last season when most of us felt he was raw. I would trust him as our deepest defensive mid over torreira who seems to have lost his fighting spirit .

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We build the midfield around this guy and get players in who compliment him but at least one who can also cover for him. He took his time but he eventually ran our midfield. Better tactics would have meant him not having to work so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom