• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matteo Guendouzi: Guendouzi come back?

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
To me it's still odd how happy people are to slack Guendo's level of play. Sure, have at it on his attitude, it's not a unique and crazy case like other's have mentioned though. He's a brat, but those can be matured by the right manager in a lot of cases or at least managed.

He came here as a 19 year old directly from Ligue 2 side Lorient, and went straight into the team and held his own. The bravery he played with, the willingness to commit. He wasn't perfect, but ffs he was 19 and showed a lot of promise, so to say he wasn't that great is ridiculous imo. There were rumors of bigger teams looking at him, which weren't ridiculous at the time - and shouldn't be now either - he was on the bench with the French NT as a 20 year old for majority of their group stage games, and the French NT isn't exactly easy to get included in whether you play or not.

Now he's had his debut in November for them at 22, and playing very well indeed for Marseille.

The deal was already known, but it's looking worse by the day.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
To me it's still odd how happy people are to slack Guendo's level of play. Sure, have at it on his attitude, it's not a unique and crazy case like other's have mentioned though. He's a brat, but those can be matured by the right manager in a lot of cases or at least managed.

He came here as a 19 year old directly from Ligue 2 side Lorient, and went straight into the team and held his own. The bravery he played with, the willingness to commit. He wasn't perfect, but ffs he was 19 and showed a lot of promise, so to say he wasn't that great is ridiculous imo. There were rumors of bigger teams looking at him, which weren't ridiculous at the time - and shouldn't be now either - he was on the bench with the French NT as a 20 year old for majority of their group stage games, and the French NT isn't exactly easy to get included in whether you play or not.

Now he's had his debut in November for them at 22, and playing very well indeed for Marseille.

The deal was already known, but it's looking worse by the day.
The problem is nobody can predict the future.

In the summer there was one team willing to commit any money for Guendouzi. That was Marseille and the deal was only triggered based on certain conditions. Probably appearances.

He had officially one year left on his contract in summer. He wasn't wanted by the club and he didn't particularly want to stay at the club. People saying about an extension but that was never going to happen. It wasn't logical and even had it happened what would it have added to his value at that time? Another 3 or 4m.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but a guaranteed €11m v potentially €0 was what we had to choose between. There were no higher bids.

Rumours aren't bids. A player is worth what someone is willing to pay for them. And that was €11m.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The problem is nobody can predict the future.

In the summer there was one team willing to commit any money for Guendouzi. That was Marseille and the deal was only triggered based on certain conditions. Probably appearances.

He had officially one year left on his contract in summer. He wasn't wanted by the club and he didn't particularly want to stay at the club. People saying about an extension but that was never going to happen. It wasn't logical and even had it happened what would it have added to his value at that time? Another 3 or 4m.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but a guaranteed €11m v potentially €0 was what we had to choose between. There were no higher bids.

Rumours aren't bids. A player is worth what someone is willing to pay for them. And that was €11m.
We didn’t have to choose between anything. He came on a 5 year contract. Our manager shunned him, dropped him from the squad, publicly branded him a trouble maker, tanked his value and then tried to offload him for a pittance. It was all done deliberately, those choices you point to we’re manufactured by the club.

Fabregasm

I do think Guendouzi is getting matured now and has good 2 loan spells. He was one of the nominated golden boys couple years back and right up in top 10 at his age level. He has an unique high energy gift that comes at a price of his big ego and is always game changer from what we have seen many times.
Definitely we could have been gotten more out of him and dealt with the disciplinary issue better rather than to outcast and loan him out which burns the bridge instantly. I mean his disciplinary issue is not even half as bad as Balotelli.
I just strongly feel we could really use him in our squad right now given how Partey/Xhaka backup is not ready yet and how vulnerable we had played without those two.
Will I choose a peak Guendouzi vs peak Sambi? I would pick Matteo any day for now.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I shall miss him dearly

Assna needs to reverse this image that we sell for peanuts , because clubs will remember that

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
We didn’t have to choose between anything. He came on a 5 year contract. Our manager shunned him, dropped him from the squad, publicly branded him a trouble maker, tanked his value and then tried to offload him for a pittance. It was all done deliberately, those choices you point to we’re manufactured by the club.
Why do you think he did that? Just because he was bored one day? He just woke up one day and said.....today I don't like Guendouzi?

Why were the only club interested in Guendouzi Marseille? Where was the other interest?

Why did they want to "try" before they bought?

Why are they only handing him a 3 year contract? Why not 5?

Pop Tart

Established Member

Others are branding him a pest, not just arteta. Dude is a prick. Arteta should of sold him asap

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Why do you think he did that? Just because he was bored one day? He just woke up one day and said.....today I don't like Guendouzi?

Why were the only club interested in Guendouzi Marseille? Where was the other interest?

Why did they want to "try" before they bought?

Why are they only handing him a 3 year contract? Why not 5?
No, of course not. It takes experience to handle players that are feisty. Arteta knew he was out of his depth. Sampaoli’s on his 14th club and can handle kids like this for breakfast. And the lads firing on all cylinders. Marseille have a superb young acquisition for a very low price.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Others are branding him a pest, not just arteta. Dude is a prick. Arteta should of sold him asap
That’s a bit out of date bro. He’s got over the way Arsenal treated him and is very happy, playing well and settled Love to see it.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
No, of course not. It takes experience to handle players that are feisty. Arteta knew he was out of his depth. Sampaoli’s on his 14th club and can handle kids like this for breakfast. And the lads firing on all cylinders. Marseille have a superb young acquisition for a very low price.
Did Arteta have enough problems to sort without dealing with a 20 year old squad player who was causing him more problems than solutions? Did he have the time to nuture a player when we were struggling (partly due to him and his player selection and tactics).

Sometimes you have to take away to later add.

Again I ask where was the queue of clubs waiting for him? Why did they want to try before they bought.

People make it very clear cut. We should have got more but without actually considering everything and how things developed.

• Red card
Reactions: Kav

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard and Smith-Rowe are all getting big minutes under Mikel, tbf...he is happy to give young players a chance, just can't be a ****.

When Guendo was here, all our best form was when he wasn't playing anyway...18/19, Xhaka and Torreira was our best midfield when we were 1 point from Champions League...and when we won the FA Cup in 2020, it was Ceballos and Granit.

If he goes on to perform consistently for a top side, or even a good English team in the prem, then this was a **** up...lets calm down though, he's nowhere near that now.

But right now, the only mistake we have made, is the small fee we are getting...if he was here, he would be riding the bench anyway, as he isn't as good as Partey or Xhaka.

As a player for us, he was meh here...unless you dislike Arteta, then he apparently was Vieira/Fabregas level, ffs.

Move on everyone, Matteo already has...good luck to him.

Fallout

Always rated Guendouzi highly and thought his talent was destined for clubs like PSG, etc. I think he eventually gets a move to a bigger club than Marseille.

However, there is some degree of addition by subtraction that happened here which I think is valuable to our long-term health - basically a shift in power from players to the manager.

Irrespective of whether Arteta is the right man or not, I personally believe players gained too much power at this club and were either getting complacent / regressing or prone to misbehaving in toxic ways. Someone like Özil would be the poster boy for all of that - but there are many others in my opinion.

Obviously we can't make a habit of offloading talented players like Guendouzi and Aubameyang for basically nothing.

But the message this sends to the players that remain - i.e. nobody is safe - I think is being reflected in the general work ethic / organization of the team and the rate of development of our young players. People need to be held accountable to improve.

Hopefully with players on board, we can start making decisions that are financially sound instead of burning through money.

Henry boi

He looked promising and was exciting especially when he first joined but I'm disappointed by how this saga has unfolded and I do believe it could have been handled better but we move on I guess nothing more we can do.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Always rated Guendouzi highly and thought his talent was destined for clubs like PSG, etc. I think he eventually gets a move to a bigger club than Marseille.

However, there is some degree of addition by subtraction that happened here which I think is valuable to our long-term health - basically a shift in power from players to the manager.

Irrespective of whether Arteta is the right man or not, I personally believe players gained too much power at this club and were either getting complacent / regressing or prone to misbehaving in toxic ways. Someone like Özil would be the poster boy for all of that - but there are many others in my opinion.

Obviously we can't make a habit of offloading talented players like Guendouzi and Aubameyang for basically nothing.

But the message this sends to the players that remain - i.e. nobody is safe - I think is being reflected in the general work ethic / organization of the team and the rate of development of our young players. People need to be held accountable to improve.

Hopefully with players on board, we can start making decisions that are financially sound instead of burning through money.
Yuck. Enjoy.

Also, Arsenal will always burn through money especially with chequebook Mik here. Don’t forget he was pro Willian, pushed for Aubas contract, pushed for Vlahovic and pushed for £50 mil rated Ben White. Not even gonna get into the exits.

A lot of you guys like praising absolute nonsense.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Players behaving in toxic ways. Must have missed that. And Arteta wasn’t held accountable for two mid table finishes and he’s improved. So that knocks your theory on the head. Lol.

Top Bottom