• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matteo Guendouzi: Lad of Luscious Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Yes I agree

Showed real promise

I just dont want him to start at this point

Saw some big holes in his game. Out of position defensivly and lightweight
Holes Cesc at 16 didn't have btw
If lucas was playing alongside him with Özil in front of them he would have been better, as ramsey and granit didnt help him at all.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
If lucas was playing alongside him with Özil in front of them he would have been better, as ramsey and granit didnt help him at all.
Ramsey was CF or false 9 so no need to blame him

Xhaka didn't put a Foot wrong all game

Matteo looked good at times but that was him untangling messes he caused for the most part

Matteo was the one who was of

Did you not see him cause the goal and nearly the corner counter ? And numerous other

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
I was actually at the game yesterday, and one thing you probably don't notice when you watch on tv, is how other players interract with other players. Hard to explain, but the thing that impressed me the most about this kid was how others were always keen to give him the ball, to look for him. He was everywhere. Yes, a bit raw at times but he was brilliant. Always looking for the ball, always available, never hid once. I'd start him over Ramsey every day of the week. Our best formation was when RAMSEY WENT OFF (Hurray, I'm one of the few Arsenal fans around who think we'd be better off without him, he was terrible yesterday) and Laca went up top, Özil played as a 10 and Aubemeyang went to the wing. We were so much more creative and played with more intensity

Its so different being at a game and watching it on TV. You get a much clearer picture being in the stadium and given the choice that's the way I always prefer to watch games.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Its so different being at a game and watching it on TV. You get a much clearer picture being in the stadium and given the choice that's the way I always prefer to watch games.

What you lose in overall view you more than make up for with details you miss unless watching on TV

seanb85

Matteo looked good at times but that was him untangling messes he caused for the most part

Did you not see him cause the goal and nearly the corner counter ? And numerous other

Oh wow. NUMEROUS others. Can you please elaborate on those numerous mistakes because, as I said before, I was at the game and he was the only one driving things forward and making things happen. The amount of free kicks he won because of intelligent play was ridiculous. Xhaka didn't put a foot wrong, a poor pass by Xhaka led to a break that should have resulted in a City goal. I get the narrative, he's 19, from Ligue 2, shouldn't start because of it blah blah blah, but just watch the game and if it helps, pretend that he cost 50m and we bought him from Barcelona

Nemetoss

Xhakha didn't put a foot wrong? How the **** can you be so blind. He ****ed up an easy pass and nearly gave them a goal early in the first half, and did it again a few minutes later. He did **** all the rest of the game while Matteo was doing all the heavy work. The guy is a huge liabilty.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not sure why you’d think he is lightweight

He’s big and already knows how to use his size well. Passing is good and looks comfortable on the ball. Positioning for headers needs a bit of work, seemed like he misjudged that ball where he missed it and Aguero was through on goal.

Don’t know if it’s nerves or being to eager to sort a situation out.

He did more than Xhaka and he looks like he could be really good

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Oh wow. NUMEROUS others. Can you please elaborate on those numerous mistakes because, as I said before, I was at the game and he was the only one driving things forward and making things happen. The amount of free kicks he won because of intelligent play was ridiculous. Xhaka didn't put a foot wrong, a poor pass by Xhaka led to a break that should have resulted in a City goal. I get the narrative, he's 19, from Ligue 2, shouldn't start because of it blah blah blah, but just watch the game and if it helps, pretend that he cost 50m and we bought him from Barcelona

Easy to have the space needed when everybody is focused on xhaka...

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Not sure why you’d think he is lightweight

He’s big and already knows how to use his size well. Passing is good and looks comfortable on the ball. Positioning for headers needs a bit of work, seemed like he misjudged that ball where he missed it and Aguero was through on goal.

Don’t know if it’s nerves or being to eager to sort a situation out.

He did more than Xhaka and he looks like he could be really good

The stats for "winning" a freekick is just stats for when you are too weak to stand up

He lost possesion a bunch. But risk management comes with experience

And I rather see him gain that in cup/El group games and the odd league game, not against the league champs

A surgeon in training doesnt start with a triple bypass does he? No probably just watches for a long time and then maybe tackles a simple appendix

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The stats for "winning" a freekick is just stats for when you are too weak to stand up

He lost possesion a bunch. But risk management comes with experience

And I rather see him gain that in cup/El group games and the odd league game, not against the league champs

A surgeon in training doesnt start with a triple bypass does he? No probably just watches for a long time and then maybe tackles a simple appendix

I've not seen any stats, I just watched the game. He shielded the ball in his possession, he won a decent amount of tackles. He's big and at 19 is good at using his body, he will only get better and wiser.

It's fine to cut your teeth at a lower level sure. He was better than Xhaka for me though so if someone is going to be benched...

Drebin

He's still raw and needs to learn a lot but his development is the only thing that keeps me interested atm. Can't give a **** about the others until they start performing.

Good that we are giving him game time in a write-off season. 8-10th place is alright as long as we develop some gems this season!

Nelson, Nketiah, Smith-Rowe, AMN, Guendouzi and hopefully couple of more should all see a lot of game time, even in premier league this season!

We will be ready next season!

lucky7

Good summary video. It actually showed a lot of positional elements of his game not just touches. I think this video showed a couple of things:
-His confidence on the ball and vision is quite good.
-His tracking and positional sense can be improved.

One clip that I saw highlighted that he may have been out of gas or lacking in defensive drive during the second goal. Watch him fail to recover to defend the City attack here. He doesn't even re-appear on the screen despite the referee covering the ground. Reminiscent of a certain famous Denilson play.

One thing that can be said here as well. Xhaka does cover the ground, but just sucks into the ball and serves no defensive purpose either.

Last edited:

lucky7

The lad doesn’t hide. Such an important quality in a footballer, especially one so young.
Absolutely. Even after making some big mistakes he has the mentality to keep his game sharp and aggressive. It's a huge positive to see in a young player. The number of touches he gets per game will only help accelerate his growth as well. I can't help but feel a CM/DM getting 70+ touches per game is going to improve more quickly than a winger or striker getting 20-40 touches per game.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

What sticks out for me was when Cech played (another) **** pass to him and he won not one, not two but three 50/50’s in a matter of seconds to prevent a dangerous situation in front of goal. I felt sort of proud of him in that moment, kid has the right mentality. I knew he was going to be good when Laca and Auba started flocking him after just a few training sessions. Quality recognizes quality.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Douzi had a very impressive first competitive match for the club against one of the best teams in the world. However, I think it would be fair to say he was partially at fault for both of their goals.

For the first goal, he let Sterling get past him, and on the second he didn't track back defensively, and occupy the space that Bernardo moved into.

Despite these two mistakes that resulted in goals I think he grew into the game, but unfortunately ran out of gas near the end. These mistakes can get fixed with more experience.

I think we have a quality player that can only get better.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Easy to have the space needed when everybody is focused on xhaka...
Focusing on Xhaka is a pretty obvious tactic our opponents can adopt at this point. He’s almost guaranteed to crumble under the slightest pressure 2-3 times/game. It would be criminal not to focus on him.

If xhaka was so good then why did Matteo stay on the pitch instead of him? Unai has given him the most minutes out of anyone in the team during preseason and he’s now at the point where he’s staying on pitch and playing 90 mins against City instead of Xhaka and Ramsey, two of our “captains”.
I think it’s maybe time you get used to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom