• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Matteo Guendouzi (Out)

Keep or Sell?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

We still in talks with OM for Guendouzi according to L'equipe. Also they say we being very greedy about this deal. Guendouzi however want the move to happen quick.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Shame we’re losing this kid because Arteta can’t get on with him. Fergie or Wenger would have got something decent out of him.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Shame we’re losing this kid because Arteta can’t get on with him. Fergie or Wenger would have got something decent out of him.
Maybe, I remember Wenger once said that the power relationship between the manager and the player had changed from the vertical to the horizontal. Ie the manager holds less direct power over the player.

He has talent, but he is making things difficult for himself with being petulant and immature. Can the player change? Perhaps. Can the manager help with that? Perhaps. Do we want to deal with this? Perhaps not.

There is a problem if you try to pick a fight with someone like Sokratis, who is obviously a bit of a gentle giant type of lad. He would have broken Guendouzi in twain... The incident with Maupay was cringeworthy, at best. Over time there was just too many incidents like this, and those are the ones known to the public. When you then add in what previous managers has said about his attitude, it does not look good.

It's pity if he throws away his career due to a lack of professionalism, because he has talent. Perhaps he'll find a club and a manager that will be able to get him on the right track, but it won't be here.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Maybe, I remember Wenger once said that the power relationship between the manager and the player had changed from the vertical to the horizontal. Ie the manager holds less direct power over the player.

He has talent, but he is making things difficult for himself with being petulant and immature. Can the player change? Perhaps. Can the manager help with that? Perhaps. Do we want to deal with this? Perhaps not.

There is a problem if you try to pick a fight with someone like Sokratis, who is obviously a bit of a gentle giant type of lad. He would have broken Guendouzi in twain... The incident with Maupay was cringeworthy, at best. Over time there was just too many incidents like this, and those are the ones known to the public. When you then add in what previous managers has said about his attitude, it does not look good.

It's pity if he throws away his career due to a lack of professionalism, because he has talent. Perhaps he'll find a club and a manager that will be able to get him on the right track, but it won't be here.
Players hold the power but they need to be well advised too. A bad attitude doesn't necessarily kill a career but it's a distraction, it closes doors and reduces potential. There are exceptions of course but plenty of talented players have had lesser careers because of these sorts of issues. I think this is what's happened with Guendo basically. I like his personality on the pitch and hope he can turn things around with another club.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

15m euros. But of course they act all broke when they want our players these guy just bought a midfielder for 25m 2 weeks ago lol
The trouble is our actions and statements about him made this lad look like he’s got problems. He’d been regularly for Emery behaving well without problems, but in total, Guendouzi played 90 minutes under Arteta just three times and didn’t even make the Premier League squad for the final eight games of the season. The lad was clearly getting frustrated and it boiled over when he grabbed Maupay by the throat. Obviously nobody was talking to him and keeping him onside. After that it all went down hill, plus all that nonsense about Arteta’s non negotiable stance. Man management skills!

We picked him up for £7m and within 6 months he was being valued at £40m. Be lucky to make our money back now.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Handling feisty characters is part of the job of management. How would Arteta have managed Roy Keane? :lol:

Last edited:

GunnerShy

The trouble is our actions and statements about him made this lad look like he’s got problems. He’d been regularly for Emery behaving well without problems, but in total, Guendouzi played 90 minutes under Arteta just three times and didn’t even make the Premier League squad for the final eight games of the season. The lad was clearly getting frustrated and it boiled over when he grabbed Maupay by the throat. Obviously nobody was talking to him and keeping him onside. After that it all went down hill, plus all that nonsense about Arteta’s non negotiable stance. Man management skills!

We picked him up for £7m and within 6 months he was being valued at £40m. Be lucky to make our money back now.
By A-M perhaps. In the end no club has ever come in for him at anywhere near that money. This is one A-M got wrong.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Handling feisty characters is part of the job of management. How would Arteta have managed Roy Keane?
I thought Roy Keane was a model professional? On time etc - I think there is minimum of professionalism you have to live up to. Like Auba being late to the NLD - that should simply not be on, and it was dealt with accordingly. The player accepted his punishment, and we moved on. Case closed.

Being combative on the pitch is all well and good, but I think Guendouzi is simply making rods to his own back with his behaviour. I am sure another manager can find a way to deal with him, and perhaps Arteta could have done better, but this Arsenal squad was in dire need of some discipline after Emery.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I liked the look of Caleta-Car so far in the tournament and Kamara could be a solid CDM option. If we can't get €15m from Marseille it wouldn't be too bad to include one of them in a deal, I think. Although I'm generally against 'depth' signings, Kamara is more of a prospect who could rotate and develop behind a more established CDM. Kind of similar deal to Lokonga, though, so it would be one or the other I reckon.

Caleta-Car I don't know very well but his stats profile on fbref doesn't look too impressive. Low in interceptions, tackles and pressures, but high in aerials and clearances. Seems like a defender who plays in a low block and nothing too special on the ball. Purely based on the tournament he does seem like a no-nonsense warrior in defense, though. Good age as well with 24.

Goonger

I liked the look of Caleta-Car so far in the tournament and Kamara could be a solid CDM option. If we can't get €15m from Marseille it wouldn't be too bad to include one of them in a deal, I think. Although I'm generally against 'depth' signings, Kamara is more of a prospect who could rotate and develop behind a more established CDM. Kind of similar deal to Lokonga, though, so it would be one or the other I reckon.

Caleta-Car I don't know very well but his stats profile on fbref doesn't look too impressive. Low in interceptions, tackles and pressures, but high in aerials and clearances. Seems like a defender who plays in a low block and nothing too special on the ball. Purely based on the tournament he does seem like a no-nonsense warrior in defense, though. Good age as well with 24.

I think Liverpool were trying for Caleta-Car in January with their defensive crisis but ended up striking a deal for Kabak. Perhaps telling they aren't trying for either this window.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Like Wenger did with Bendtner or Fergie did with Ravel Morrison. Bad attitude is bad attitude. A manager can only do so much and multiple managers have said the same about Guendouzi. The onus and responsibility rests on him. Its his career. Nobody owes him one.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Sometimes you need players with a bad attitude in the squad, most footballers have that arrogant side to them...but Guendo's ability v arrogance is too imbalanced, imo.

He just isn't a good enough player for me, for you to put up with those issues.

Kysus

Sometimes you need players with a bad attitude in the squad, most footballers have that arrogant side to them...but Guendo's ability v arrogance is too imbalanced, imo.

He just isn't a good enough player for me, for you to put up with those issues.
The "I'm already a baller **** you guys" arrogance never helps as it makes you too close-minded to learn and progress

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Same with Saliba. A decent manager would at least give them a try. Handling "difficult" players is all part of management, give Arteta another 10 years and he may realise that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom