• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matthew Smith: 2020/21 Performances

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Interesting stat on Matt Smith so far this season - leads League 1 on interceptions.

We already knew he was good at that tbf...

e92ac814-6202-49c4-9a67-65f724acf8f4

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️

Also just scored a last minute equaliser for Swindon. They've not been very good this season but by all accounts Matt Smith has been their best player.

Looks like he's doing brilliant in Swindon Town. How do you compare him to our current youngster CMs like Willock and ESR.

Also which current player in football does his play style compare to?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Looks like he's doing brilliant in Swindon Town. How do you compare him to our current youngster CMs like Willock and ESR.

Also which current player in football does his play style compare to?
I think he's quite a bit behind them in terms of stature - this is his first ever season of first team football, but I think he will be closer to them once the season ends. I don't think his chances of making it here are very high, but he is very much capable of being a contributing squad member if he fulfils his potential. He offers a very dextrous style for us - a very clever player who can win possession smartly and is an excellent passer and distributor of the ball. Very comfortable in a number of different midfield areas. Obviously slightly lacking in athleticism but his intelligence and movement makes up for it.

I can't quite pin down his play style to a particular player. A bit like a Kroos maybe? In terms of Arsenal player, probably a stripped down Cesc. Has the vision and distribution as well as the ability to dictate. Closest possible player is actually Zelalem IMO. Same through-ball ability.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I know he's playing in league one but I wished Arteta took a chance on him. Maybe it's unfortunate that there was no real preseason because I genuinely believe he could be a decent squad member for us. I'm not saying he's better than Xhaka and Cellabos but his playing style annoys me a lot less than the former two. Reads the game well, loves an interception, mobile and a quality passer. Not so great in the PnP department but he's a good talent.

oh to be a goon

I can see Smith replacing either Xhaka or ElNeny as a squad player should either of them leave next summer, and we don't want to invest major funds to this position so soon again.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I hope he has a good season. If he does well then this will be a good transition season for him with space in the squad especially with the tight departures.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I know he's playing in league one but I wished Arteta took a chance on him. Maybe it's unfortunate that there was no real preseason because I genuinely believe he could be a decent squad member for us. I'm not saying he's better than Xhaka and Cellabos but his playing style annoys me a lot less than the former two. Reads the game well, loves an interception, mobile and a quality passer. Not so great in the PnP department but he's a good talent.
The quality of his passing is PL level IMO. He really plays some fantastic through balls and I think the way he uses the ball is much more conducive to a fluent attack. He's the main man at Swindon easy - they're essentially a League 2 team playing in League 1 and he's the obvious standout - and arguably one of the better midfielders in the whole league. That's a good sign for someone who's never played first team football before this season and was playing U23 football not long ago.

I can see Smith replacing either Xhaka or ElNeny as a squad player should either of them leave next summer, and we don't want to invest major funds to this position so soon again.
This would be an incredible achievement for him given the competition behind him. Azeez, Patino, Cottrell and co are all aiming to play in the same areas as him and all arguably have higher ceilings, not to mention guys like Willock and ESR potentially. Given his ability, I wouldn't put it past him.

Top Bottom