• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Maty Ryan Joins Arsenal

Melquiades

Looks like we’re looking to make the transfer permanent. Another small club mentality move. Donnarumma is available on a free and there for the taking. Meslier wouldn’t break the bank neither. Both would push Leno.

Italy's 21 y/o starting keeper isn't coming to Arsenal to 'push Leno'.

He'll have his pick of CL contenders with a guaranteed starting spot if he leaves Milan. At an absurd wage.

akhil

With the super league and 350 million cash injection , seeing us sign Matt Ryan as our second choice keeper while other teams will have two strong number ones. Sign of things to come I'm afraid.

What's wrong with Ryan as a backup? Solid experience and looks happy to be here. He's not at all a bad drop in replacement for Leno. Which teams have 2 elite keepers?

Breezy ®

Italy's 21 y/o starting keeper isn't coming to Arsenal to 'push Leno'.

He'll have his pick of CL contenders with a guaranteed starting spot if he leaves Milan. At an absurd wage.

Well Real, Barca, Atleti, Juve, Bayern, City, and Liverpool don’t really need him.

Doubt he would join city rivals Inter. Roma and Napoli would be a backwards move and couldn’t offer him the kinda wages we would.

That pretty much leaves Chelsea, Man Utd and PSG.

Chelsea will likely have to move Kepa on first and that will prove very tricky. Utd may prefer someone like Oblak, or keep faith in Henderson.

PSG would probably be the biggest obstacle but they might be happy with Navas as first choice, plus the French league is Mickey Mouse.

I think if we put a big enough contract on the table for him he’d be up for it. The only reservation I have about him is that Italians tend to struggle to settle in different cultures, especially in England.

BTW by push I basically meant push out as first choice.

Breezy ®

What's wrong with Ryan as a backup? Solid experience and looks happy to be here. He's not at all a bad drop in replacement for Leno. Which teams have 2 elite keepers?

One elite keeper would be nice.

What’s wrong is we’re not going to improve by settling for the cheap mediocre option. Someone happy to come in and sit on the bench. We’re going to improve and move forward as a club by looking for an upgrade on Leno or someone that can seriously challenge him for the starting spot.

Impact

Established Member
Leaving aside the well-made arguments that Leno is sufficient for current purposes and that Donnarumma will not be moving to be a No.2, how many of you actually watch him? Because while good, Donnarumma certainly is not a sweeper-keeper or goalkeeper generally comfortable with the ball at his feet, which are both huge parts of the role of GK here.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Can see him becoming number one next season at some point and Leno leaving after the 21/22 season.

It was a hard decision but we got it badly wrong last summer sadly.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don’t see what anyone can have against signing him. Preformed well so far, and we didn’t sell Martinez last year just to blow it on another keeper to compete with Leno.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

He is a good decision maker and seem to be a very relaxed type of a goalkeeper. Not everyone is.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He have 1 year left with Brighton pay 35m get him and Bissouma. I don't think you can find a better backup keeper than him and with so much experience.

Pop Tart

Established Member
Cannot really fault him so far. I personally would try him on Thursday as leno has been shaky this season but I doubt arteta has the balls to be dynamic

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Perfectly fine backup keeper. I just find it strange we go for these small keepers as backup all the time.

What next, Ochoa? An ageing Keylor Navas?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom