• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Max Meyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newchange

Schalke DoF Heidel says no ongoing talks between Meyer and the club. Seems like he's on the move out of Gelsenkirchen.

Like I said earlier, with Coquelin sold, Cazorla's career basically over and Wilshere's looming departure, there's space and need for a versatile midfielder who can play CM, CDM or AMF.

No one's saying he should be this summer's prime or only signing or that he's the absolute top quality to propel the midfield forward, but he's absolutely solid quality with room to develop, aged only 22. Signing him will definitely improve the squad overall, going into four competitions. On a free, it's really a no brainer.

We need players who come in to bring something different to the squad. Theres nothing Meyer offers that Jack or Aaron cant. Just because hes on a free doesn't mean its a good deal when he is taking up the place a physically imposing athletic box2box midfielder could have. Esp when wenger would use the excuse of we have enough midfielders.

nick gould

We need players who come in to bring something different to the squad. Theres nothing Meyer offers that Jack or Aaron cant. Just because hes on a free doesn't mean its a good deal when he is taking up the place a physically imposing athletic box2box midfielder could have. Esp when wenger would use the excuse of we have enough midfielders.
I am no expert but from what I have seen the boy is a very good passer of the ball. Jack and Ramsey aren’t good passers by any stretch of the imagination. Every now and then they would hit a good pass but we are looking for consistent good passer in Meyer.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
I am no expert but from what I have seen the boy is a very good passer of the ball. Jack and Ramsey aren’t good passers by any stretch of the imagination. Every now and then they would hit a good pass but we are looking for consistent good passer in Meyer.

Yeah, a very good passer in tearms of side and back passes. Another average midfielder for our team, hey..

It wouldn't surprise me, if he will sign a new contract for Schalke. There will not be a much better offer from a top club.

Newchange

Another passer? what about a destroyer? what about a tough tackling energetic player? what about a leader? how do we expect to improve when we keep going after the same kind of players? Its a no from me.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Seriously, did you read what I've written?
I'm not talking about him being the prime or only signing for midfield. Arsenal don't have enough midfielders for a whole season, keeping in mind the injury proneness of some of them and especially with Wilshere maybe leaving on a free.

You can't lose Coquelin,Cazorla and potentially Wilshere, sign a starter and then go into a season with 4 competitions to play in with only Ramsey, Xhaka, Elneny plus new signing X, especially if a midfield-3 will be utilised every now and then. Even with Wilshere still here, it makes sense to sign Meyer as a quality replacement for both Coquelin and Cazorla. This is not FIFA where you don't have to rotate and basically play with one XI for a whole season. To challenge you surely need peak quality for the first XI, but also a broad quality squad.

Meyer ticks all the boxes you want in a signing like this:
- solid quality in positions that need addressing in quantity (and quality concerning the bench)
- great age with possibility of development along a raise in value
- good experience in relation to his young age
- versatility: could play as an attacking mid or winger if needed, as that's where he's learned the trade, his recent home is CM/CDM
- he's on a free, so there are no transfer funds wasted that should go into GK, CB, another CM and a winger.

Right now, I'd much rather have Meyer on the bench than Iwobi or Maitland-Niles. They both should be out on loan and a versatile quality player with more experience than them should be sitting on the bench.

So, for a relatively low cost the quality of squad depth can be raised noticeably while at the same time not averting another top quality signing in that position 'cause you don't have to spend a transfer fee, and keeping the squad still nice and tidy with one versatile player (Meyer) replacing two (Coquelin, Cazorla).

Again, on a free, it's an abolute no brainer to bolster squad depth qualitywise for the next season: Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka, Elneny, Meyer, X.

It is baffling really, you look at some threads and how most moan about the lack of good players on the bench who can have an impact when coming on, etc. Then there's a guy on the market who could exactly be that, even on a free - that's saving roughly around 20m right there to invest in someone for the first XI - and people are like "oh no no, please not."

Last edited:

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Another passer? what about a destroyer? what about a tough tackling energetic player? what about a leader? how do we expect to improve when we keep going after the same kind of players? Its a no from me.

#GranitXhaka
#FrancisCoquelin

Newchange

Seriously, did you read what I've written?
I'm not talking about him being the prime or only signing for midfield. Arsenal don't have enough midfielders for a whole season, keeping in mind the injury proneness of some of them and especially with Wilshere maybe leaving on a free.

You can't lose Coquelin,Cazorla and potentially Wilshere, sign a starter and then go into a season with 4 competitions to play in with only Ramsey, Xhaka, Elneny plus new signing X, especially if a midfield-3 will be utilised every now and then. Even with Wilshere still here, it makes sense to sign Meyer as a quality replacement for both Coquelin and Cazorla. This is not FIFA where you don't have to rotate and basically play with one XI for a whole season. To challenge you surely need peak quality for the first XI, but also a broad quality squad.

Meyer ticks all the boxes you want in a signing like this:
- solid quality in positions that need addressing in quantity (and quality concerning the bench)
- great age with possibility of development along a raise in value
- good experience in relation to his young age
- versatility: could play as an attacking mid or winger if needed, as that's where he's learned the trade, his recent home is CM/CDM
- he's on a free, so there are no transfer funds wasted that should go into GK, CB, another CM and a winger.

Right now, I'd much rather have Meyer on the bench than Iwobi or Maitland-Niles. They both should be out on loan and a versatile quality player with more experience than them should be sitting on the bench.

So, for a relatively low cost the quality of squad depth can be raised noticeably while at the same time not averting another top quality signing in that position 'cause you don't have to spend a transfer fee, and keeping the squad still nice and tidy with one versatile player (Meyer) replacing two (Coquelin, Cazorla).

Again, on a free, it's an abolute no brainer to bolster squad depth qualitywise for the next season: Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka, Elneny, Meyer, X.

It is baffling really, you look at some threads and how most moan about the lack of good players on the bench who can have an impact when coming on, etc. Then there's a guy on the market who could exactly be that, even on a free - that's saving roughly around 20m right there to invest in someone for the first XI - and people are like "oh no no, please not."

Your forgetting "free" transfers come with huge signing on fees and a higher demand of wages. Atm we have Xhaka,Ramsey,Wilshere,Elneny and Santi. Only one looks likely to leave atm Jack so I believe only one CM will be signed. If we was planning to replace santi we would have done it by now. Meyer is just like for like with jack. Signing a DM means either Xhaka or Ramsey drops to the bench which strengthens the bench

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Your forgetting "free" transfers come with huge signing on fees and a higher demand of wages. Atm we have Xhaka,Ramsey,Wilshere,Elneny and Santi. Only one looks likely to leave atm Jack so I believe only one CM will be signed. If we was planning to replace santi we would have done it by now. Meyer is just like for like with jack. Signing a DM means either Xhaka or Ramsey drops to the bench which strengthens the bench

Cazorla will never play again. No point even considering him as an option. He is out of contract this summer and won’t be getting a new one.

Newchange

Cazorla will never play again. No point even considering him as an option. He is out of contract this summer and won’t be getting a new one.

Thing is we have this habbit of holding onto players for too long for sentimental reasons. If we can offer contracts to Diaby we could offer a 1 year option to Santi. It will be a sad day when the little magician does leave :(

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

I doubt there will be a 'huge' signing on fee, my guess would be no more than 1-2mil if that, I also doubt he would be on mega wages either.

I imagine we would probably be the most attractive club in for him.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
All you guys who are so fiercely opposed to this transfer -

1) how many full games of him have you watched?

2) if not Meyer, who are we gonna get? Kroos maybe? Busquets? or perhaps we'll revive Yaya Toure in his pomp and play him DM.

Newchange

I doubt there will be a 'huge' signing on fee, my guess would be no more than 1-2mil if that, I also doubt he would be on mega wages either.

I imagine we would probably be the most attractive club in for him.

Wages wise guess we would off hi, similar to what were offering jack. Would rather keep jack then

2) if not Meyer, who are we gonna get? Kroos maybe? Busquets? or perhaps we'll revive Yaya Toure in his pomp and play him DM.

Iv watched him play over the years and hes a decent young player with potential but in my eyes is no better then what we already have. We dont need anymore quantity we need quality hence the recent clear out. Theres alot of midfield options out there who could improve us that are realistic targets. People seem to be so for this transfer just to stick him on the bench. Improve the starting 11 and the bench gets stronger,simple.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Xhaka,Ramsey,Wilshere,Elneny and Santi.

Cazorla will never play again. Lad's almost had his leg removed 'cause an infection started to eat up his own tissue.

Maitland-Niles and Willock aren't ready to play big roles in important competitions.

Wilshere, as of now, is out of contract in less than three month and it doesn't look like he'll sign.

That's two midfield signings for me. With a rumoured budget of 70m you need one of these to be dirt cheap and opportunistic.

Edit: You could also factor in the Ramsey rumours...could be down to Elneny, Xhaka and Maitland-Niles in midfield and people are against a free Meyer transfer.

LG10

Fabinho, danilo pereira, Ndidi are who we should be looking at. Meyer would never be able to play dm for us. Sign him in addition to the three I mentioned not instead of.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Wages wise guess we would off hi, similar to what were offering jack. Would rather keep jack then

Apparently according to a quick google search he is currently on 63k p/w.

I doubt we go over 80k, I imagine he is a oppurtunistic signing due to the contract expiration, do we sign him if a fee was involved I dont know?

Either way I'm not fussed, not my money lol

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

Think alot of people are just burnt out with us trying to be too clever in central midfield combinations. Especially when we now have the likes of Özil & Micky infront. Top clubs rarely play with a 10 or a deep playmaker let alone both.

I would happily take Doucoure & a defensive minded partner this summer. The likes of Arteta & Santi were geniuses but Wenger trying find the next one is killing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom