• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Medhi Benatia

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
OMG not only Ivan the Great but Wagner's in AM reading our stuff. Doubts about his injuries etc but I'd be ecstatic if we signed a properly rated CB in absolute ages.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Reckon Manolas is more of a goer than this.

Benatia back to Roma, Manolas to Arsenal - possibly.

I am probably one of few who thinks our defensive woes is much down to tactics than personnel and as such don't think CB is as much of a priority simply because whoever we sign, we'll have a few problems there regardless.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I am probably one of few who thinks our defensive woes is much down to tactics than personnel and as such don't think CB is as much of a priority simply because whoever we sign, we'll have a few problems there regardless.

Said this for a long time. Most defensive systems are dependent on the tactics, look at Gimenez slotting in seamlessly for Miranda. How much did the system we play help?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Think we would have won the league with better partner to Kos, and a goal scoring striker.

Wenger doesnt do tactics, hence we need better players to survive.
Doesnt matter how good a defender you are if your strategy inherently fvcks you. Koscielny himself is proof of that.

africe

I think most people believe that our system is the reason for a large part of our defensive woes, however, signing a quicker CB that's somewhat comfortable with the ball would improve our attacking game a lot IMO

Doesnt matter how good a defender you are if your strategy inherently fvcks you. Koscielny himself is proof of that.

I thin Kos has done well up until now in a system that doesnt help center backs at all...

If you have Wenger cell phone you can try to call him and ask if he is up for doing Simone tactics for next season. But if not I think better players is the best we can hope for.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think most people believe that our system is the reason for a large part of our defensive woes, however, signing a quicker CB that's somewhat comfortable with the ball would improve our attacking game a lot IMO
I agree with that, I just don't think it's as much a priority as DM (which has now been sorted) and CF. DM + CF would make me happy enough, CB would be a bonus for me.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Think we would have won the league with better partner to Kos, and a goal scoring striker.

Wenger doesnt do tactics, hence we need better players to survive.
Cech won the golden gloves which is the second time one of our keepers has won it in the last few years.

Our problems are primarily in attack but no doubt a more competent defensive unit helps us. Two massive musts going forward.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Said this for a long time. Most defensive systems are dependent on the tactics, look at Gimenez slotting in seamlessly for Miranda. How much did the system we play help?

You lot defend like mad dogs though. Easy to slot in there, and Gimenez's quality.

We're trying to emulate the likes of Barca and Bayern, so defenders have to be good 1-vs-1, and under pressure because we want to dominate the game.

I'd say there's no saving Mertesacker and Gabriel. I still have a slight hope for the latter, but he plays like a genuine ***** at times.

Get a quicker Mertesacker and we're golden. Not too keen on Benatia myself, but if he could avoid injuries I guess he'd be a decent signing.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You lot defend like mad dogs though. Easy to slot in there, and Gimenez's quality.

We're trying to emulate the likes of Barca and Bayern, so defenders have to be good 1-vs-1, and under pressure because we want to dominate the game.

I'd say there's no saving Mertesacker and Gabriel. I still have a slight hope for the latter, but he plays like a genuine ***** at times.

Get a quicker Mertesacker and we're golden. Not too keen on Benatia myself, but if he could avoid injuries I guess he'd be a decent signing.

Yeah that's my point man, it's how we defend as a team that makes it easier. I like Gimenez but I bet he looks worse outside our team.

Not a fan of Per or Gabriel either, I'd honestly go with Chambers above both right now. Think he has more of the essentials than either.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah that's my point man, it's how we defend as a team that makes it easier. I like Gimenez but I bet he looks worse outside our team.

Not a fan of Per or Gabriel either, I'd honestly go with Chambers above both right now. Think he has more of the essentials than either.
Much is made of Chambers' mistakes in from last season and in the 1st half against Liverpool at the beginning of this one - but every other time he's played this season he's actually been very good. Smart and composed, and very good on the ball - isn't that slow either.

Gabriel is like Coquelin - he has technical ability but not technical aptitude. He sh*ts himself when he has to do anything with the ball, and (unlike Coq) he's clearly not confident defending in our current system, especially when he can't even communicate with his fellow defenders. Maybe that will improve but who knows.

I wouldn't mind a defender coming in, but I'd at least like to see a fresh face in the attack first.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Benatia back to Roma is unlikely for the way he left. I'd prefer Manolas too however. Tho regardless of the tactical issues etc, we're awfully lacking in depth at CB. And depth in terms of top level experienced performers too.

Per and Kos....then basically, nothing. We and Chelski are possibly the only clubs of a level with such poor depth at CB but even they have a bunch of top prospects playing elsewhere.

Sykes

Getting Manolas means less funds for a striker. I think after Xhaka, we have round about 40-45 million left to spend unless we sell someone. Manolas is being valued at 30m....I'd rather spend that amount on a striker than a CB.
Oh and Wenger needs to bring Martin Keown in to work alongside Bould.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Getting Manolas means less funds for a striker. I think after Xhaka, we have round about 40-45 million left to spend unless we sell someone. Manolas is being valued at 30m....I'd rather spend that amount on a striker than a CB.
Oh and Wenger needs to bring Martin Keown in to work alongside Bould.

Arsène will not spend 30M on a CB. Hell will froze before that happens. That is why I think Benatia is much more likely, he will not cost more than 15 M. He would be a major upgrade anyway.

Heisenberg

Im done with project Britain too. If its stones sure otherwise bring in a proper cb from elsewhere.
The price for Stones is completely insane, and there are plenty of more promising defenders abroad. Stones' weaknesses have been exposed plenty of times, and I am still not convinced he will be a top class defender.

But time will tell. An English top club will probably splash the cash on him sooner or later. And if not, the talent was probably not as big as the English pundits hoped it was.

Chelseas has been mentioned as a possible destination but with Zouma and Christensen (currently in Bundeliga on loan) are both potentially better talents than Stones.

Top Bottom