• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Medhi Benatia

HBL

Established Member
He is a very good player but I feel like it should be him or Sokratis and then a younger cb like Pavard/Soyoncu. People can say we already have too many younger cb’s, I personally don’t think Holding is good enough , Chambers played well the second half of the season but can he maintain that performance?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Arsenal needs defenders who can step in and do the job right now. I've been over this a million times. If they embark on a long-term program to develop youth, they waste all that attacking talent up front in the primes of their careers. They also risk screwing around in 6th place for the foreseeable future and that risks falling even further behind. They should not be worrying about resale value. That's a selling club mindset. Arsenal is still a big club and they need to act like it.

So much this. We've got Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Xhaka - so much attacking talent in this side, and people want to develop the defense. I think the hierarchy has got it absolutely right going by the rumours.

They're filling the defence with much needed quality and experience. Like I said, optimally, you sign guys like Pavard when they cost 5m being on the verge of breaking into the first team. Getting Sokratis and Benatia would stabilize the defense for the next two years, which gives the club 4 transfer windows to scout, look at and eventually sign promising players for small fees while keeping the squad up to performance. Why could Sp**s splash the cash on Davinson? Cause they had Vertonghen, Dier and Alderweireld. We need to get into that position, too. But we won't get there by only buying youth projects. Especially cause up front we got a potent attack in its prime just waiting to have a go at titles.

Stannis

I really want this to happen. I rate all of our current young CBs. While Caglar certainly looks to have a lot of potential, I can see him having a few shockers. He isn’t already brilliant like a De Ligt. It makes far more sense to have Benatia who i reckon even now is level above anyone we have.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
So much this. We've got Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Mkhitaryan, Ramsey, Xhaka - so much attacking talent in this side, and people want to develop the defense. I think the hierarchy has got it absolutely right going by the rumours.

They're filling the defence with much needed quality and experience. Like I said, optimally, you sign guys like Pavard when they cost 5m being on the verge of breaking into the first team. Getting Sokratis and Benatia would stabilize the defense for the next two years, which gives the club 4 transfer windows to scout, look at and eventually sign promising players for small fees while keeping the squad up to performance. Why could Sp**s splash the cash on Davinson? Cause they had Vertonghen, Dier and Alderweireld. We need to get into that position, too. But we won't get there by only buying youth projects. Especially cause up front we got a potent attack in its prime just waiting to have a go at titles.
I think you and @Slartibartfast are both correct but we need to be brave and keep an eye on the future too. Mavopranos is Sven's man but Holding and Chambers still have big question marks over their ability to step up. With Kos not back until the end of the year and probably in his final year with us, I think we need to get Pavard for rotation this season and to be the senior CB when the old guys retire. My main fear is that even I've heard of most of these guys about two transfer windows ago or more so I'm not confident of getting a £5m gem.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I think you and @Slartibartfast are both correct but we need to be brave and keep an eye on the future too. Mavopranos is Sven's man but Holding and Chambers still have big question marks over their ability to step up. With Kos not back until the end of the year and probably in his final year with us, I think we need to get Pavard for rotation this season and to be the senior CB when the old guys retire. My main fear is that even I've heard of most of these guys about two transfer windows ago or more so I'm not confident of getting a £5m gem.

I agree, my favourite solution would be Sokratis + Pavard, and I think if the club has the money, they should spend it on the young french CB. But just like with Chambers and Holding, there's still a question mark looming over Soyuncu for me - maybe not as big as the one above our english guys, but still. And in that case I would probably rather spend 35 on Benatia than on Soyuncu and look for Mavropanos style signings over the next 2/3 years.

HBL

Established Member
There was actually some decent sources reporting our interest in Pavard last weekend so here’s hoping.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
This is one that will honestly drag on. Great defender to have and would be on board with this signing.

@Toby Andrl summarised it pretty well. Two experienced heads with Mav and Pavard as the immediate back up options would be great going forward. If we can manage to secure loans for Holding and/Chambers it would mean our defence has as great a foundation as our attack.

If our midfield was to add Torreira and Leno as our GK (not sure what's happening with Alisson) then I can confidently see us getting top 4 and having a better run in the Europa.

Zaza

Better than Sokratis imo. We could get both and Sell/loan Holding and Chambers with Pavard and Mustafi as our 4 CBs while Mavropanos checks in from time to time

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
He'd be a fantastic signing. As he's played in the Bundesliga, the hustle and bustle of the Premier league shouldn't frighten him.

Stannis

Sign him the guy is captain material, has the heart of an Atlas Lion.

The heart of an extinct animal that in the Coliseum regurely got beat on by tigers

Sounds promising ;)

In all serious you are right he would be good for us. Along with Mav and Sokratis we would go from having the softest CB pairings to one of the toughest in the league

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

The heart of an extinct animal that in the Coliseum regurely got beat on by tigers

Sounds promising ;)

In all serious you are right he would be good for us. Along with Mav and Sokratis we would go from having the softest CB pairings to one of the toughest in the league
You need to check yourself mate. Atlas Lions will never die.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He seems to be the best Cb we can hope for this window. Elite defender from a winning club.

Just need to get it done before Chelsea get Rugani.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
17 mil for a 31 year old who will only become worse along the way? He's a decent cb right now, but prone to make dumb mistakes when you least expect it.
Makes no sense that we'd get him at this age and for that money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom