Merci Arsène

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by kraphtous, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

My reply was tongue in cheek aimed at Hydro, hence the small text at the bottom? But if you want to go there, Wenger had a club in his hands and ****ed it up. Your turn....

2. GDeep™

GDeep™ Contrarian

Don’t know what you mean, Wenger over achieved.

If anyone ****ed anything up it was Ivan, we discussed this before, he handed out an extension to Wenger when he shouldn’t have, sanctioned signings like Mustafi and Perez, gave out a big contract to Özil, missed out on Arteta and then ran off to Milan.

Wenger was close to impeccable during his time here.

Mrs Bergkamp and carlito'sway like this.
  3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

How many times does this have to be debunked?

Toby Andrl likes this.
  4. Jury

I don’t really want to get into it in this thread out if respect, but if you think Wengers failure to identify and attempt to address weaknesses at a vital moment because ‘there isn’t better quality available than what we already have’ has nothing to do with where we currently sit, then whoever disagrees must have selective amnesia. That was his choice, we lost speed out of the corner and we were left behind in the straight. Anyway, nothing more to say about that in this thread.

jus2nang likes this.
  5. Mark Tobias

Has it never occurred to you that Wenger had a boss telling him to calm the waters when addressing the fans because the owner wasn't prepared to splash the cash????

Mrs Bergkamp and carlito'sway like this.
  6. Jury

Calm the waters? Who’s talking about delivering speeches? I’m talking about signing players when we needed them most. Everybody on here was united in frustration at our failure to sign defenders and midfielders when we needed them most. Chief Wengerite, @GDeep™ will tell you all about that.

IrishKookaburra likes this.
  7. Mark Tobias

Yes and Wenger was instructed to calm the waters after our board failed to give him funds to do that...

8. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid StatDNA Expert

How about just Merci Wenger and let other stuff be?

9. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

alas, letting other stuff be seems to be totally beyond far too many AM posters

10. GDeep™

GDeep™ Contrarian

Hard to let stuff be when the EDL’s go to move is to attack Wenger anytime Emery or the team are questioned.

One year on, anything good is on Emery and everything bad is on Wenger, despite Ivan being the culprit of a lot of our current issues.

11. Jury

To be honest, there isn't any instructions in the OP to refrain from discussing Wenger's tenure--that's the whole tenure, and not just the good bits. This thread wasn't meant to be a shrine ffs.

What is this, RAWK? :lol: Still can't decipher what EDL stands for either...

12. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid StatDNA Expert

I don't read your posts. But here is a picture of a cat!

[​IMG]

Mark Tobias likes this.
  13. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

While I mostly disagree with Jury's points here, I actually do think a lot of the quality vs. money argument came from Wenger himself. I do believe his two biggest mistakes were a) not willing to accept the reality of the modern market, in which a player who cost 10m 3 years ago and who in your mind isn't worth more than 10m, now suddenly cost 20m. And while Arsenal later spent big on the likes of Özil, Alexis, Lacazette, Auba or even Xhaka, I never really felt Wenger got his head around this completely, I felt he later was okay to spend on known quality, but still kept to his own idea on value especially in regards to smaller transfers.

And b) I think not refreshing his coaching staff including the Scouting over vast periods of time was the second big mistake. You might include not hiring a replacement for Dein, but on the other hand that's actually clearly in the competences of the CEO, Gazidis. But we all know about that guy's ineptitude. That guy was hiding behind Wenger more than anyone, and only felt the heat and need to actually do something once it was clear Arsène's tenure was coming to an end and all eyes would be on him in that case.

14. Mark Tobias

Spineless South African!!:lol:

15. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Opta Loyalist

16. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

Don't know if Poch would leave Sp**s for Bayern in transition. Van Bommel plays the same rather defensive, transitional style as Kovac. If they go for Bommel they could stick to Niko. If I was Bayern I'd keep Kovac, if not Wenger would definitely be the prime choice.