Merci Arsène

Discussion in 'Arsenal History' started by kraphtous, Apr 20, 2018.

1. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Merci Wenger

HollandGooner and Makingtrax like this.
  2. A$AP Unai

A$AP Unai New Member

If it wasn't for Wenger, we would avoid 'fans' like you.

3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

You can't learn diplomacy if this nature. Born leader!

Makingtrax likes this.
  4. say yes

say yes To VAR

I certainly preferred watching the pressers to the games in his last few seasons.

Jury and Makingtrax like this.
  5. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

this is fcuking brilliant! :lol:

Makes me wonder how many current managers could be able to do that.

So many players went bust after leaving Wenger because he was just incredible at managing players. Anelka a prime example.

Iceman10 and Makingtrax like this.
  6. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

7. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

'However by 23/24, they go to City/Barca', is what he meant.

say yes likes this.
  8. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

We may have paid for them in points, but by god were we rewarded by seeing Barcelona, City, United, etc win major trophies with the players we developed. :drool:

BigPoppaPump and say yes like this.
  9. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

Great to see posters finally understanding the problems Arsène had with lack of funding. Even though he kept us top 4 for 20 years.

10. Jury

More the lack of getting the very best out of some high class groups of players. Did great to acquire them--couldn't quite eek out what he should have. All water under the bridge now though.

11. GDeep™

GDeep™ Protector of RonaldoMadness

Overachieved with every group of players he’s ever had, until the last season or so.

Water under the bridge though, like you said.

12. Jury

Man threw titles away. Never won back to back. Under achieved, no question. Had years of experience, yet you would have to say he bottled numerous titles, if you're going to say Emery bottled 4th. These are your rules...

13. GDeep™

Harsh. Think he was always punching above his weight really.

14. Jury

Point is, he got the players together. Did great doing that, but why just kick back and say that'll do? He had teams more than capable of winning titles, but we kept falling just short. Couldn't instill the right mentality in the players. He can't wheel out the 'inexperienced in the league' excuse either. This is all cold hearted criticism of a man who did wonders for the club, though, even if it ended badly.

15. GDeep™

Think the crucial issue was not strengthening after having success the previous year. Why that is, we can guess.

Henry says they were pushed hard, Wenger wanted the invincible season a year earlier.

16. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

Nonsense, he had no right to do that well spending what he did. All his team’s were full of holes, but his tactics and motivation were top drawer. His only problem was living up to the hyperexpectations of fans who didn’t understand the relationship between wealth and winning and expected him to beat Fergie and the oligarch clubs spending way more. All water under the bridge now though.

BigPoppaPump likes this.
  17. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

18. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

Thinking the players at hand could take it another step further. Didn't he say in regards to not buying anyone bar Cech that one summer he thought the squad was good enough (if they took the next step)?

I mean sometimes it is hard to replace someone you had faith in and whom you worked with a long time when you suddenly realize he won't cut it. Do you give up or give him another season for what you saw in him? Hard decision really if you're not a fan but their mentor and manager and spent years of training sessions to improve them. I've got kids in my U18 way below average, but some days they make a step forward and finally get something and you think this is finally going somewhere and I can make them a solid player, then next session it's gone again, but when do you cut the ties? Do you go "well he did it last week, this week isn't good but I can get him to do it next week again cause last week he could" or do you go "ok this isn't working cut him loose"? On the other hand exactly that was Wenger's job and it's what you got to do sometimes. Think he was too hopeful and too reliant on his ability to get that special something out of someone who actually ended up not having it. One of the reasons I think it was time to part eventually.

19. Jury

I’ve never been one to criticise his tactical acumen. There has been many ‘wtf’ moments, but I accept every fan of every club has those moments. When a strange sub comes off, nobody remembers that. I don’t know how anybody could not say that we didn’t get the best out of some of the group of players we had. Hate to compare it to somebody like Fergie, but look at that bunch of clowns he won the title with on his last year compared to the teams and squads that couldn’t finish off the job so many times for us.

20. Kobi

Kobi I Know Who You Are

Wenger?

We played without a holding midfield player for a decade, we bought Arteta to play there on his own.
    We tried to imitate Barcelona for five years playing with a slow targetman upfront and nobody running off him, while France were doing well with him playing alongside Griezmann.
    We lost countless leads unneccesarily chasing more goals, Anderlecht at home and Newcastle away probably the most memorable, we got absolutely humiliated by our 'rivals' on a semi-regular basis, 8-2 at Man United, 6-0 at Chelsea, 5 at Liverpool (twice?) , 6 at Man City, 5-1 at Sp**s, those are just the ones off the top of my head.
    Bayern scored 5 in successive games, I'm a big fan of Arsène but I definitely wouldn't list "top drawer tactics" as one of his qualities.
    Even his great teams the players have said we only had plan A and that was it, luckily the players were so good it didn't ever really matter.