• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

GoonerJay24

Arséne never had respect for wingers or the out wide position. He would always play number 10's there or try with Walcott for years even though everyone knew that wasn't it. He seemed to think any striker or midfielder could play there.

So why didn't Arséne ever like actual wingers, was it the success of Pires that convinced him a number 10 type play would be better out wide?[/QUOTE]

That's not fully true, overall depended on the teams playing style and personaal.

TheEconomist

Established Member
Arséne never had respect for wingers or the out wide position. He would always play number 10's there or try with Walcott for years even though everyone knew that wasn't it. He seemed to think any striker or midfielder could play there.

So why didn't Arséne ever like actual wingers, was it the success of Pires that convinced him a number 10 type play would be better out wide?

In my opinion he used the wing positions to introduce players into the team. Especially the younger players. He didn't trust them enough to play through the middle, and that's why he put them on the wing, to give them some game time in a position that isn't as crucial if they make mistakes. There was no way players like Fabregas, Ramsey, Van Persie would have ever got as much game time if he only used them in their actual position. All three of the above went on to prove themselves capable of playing in their actual positions. Others, like Walcott, never did.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
In my opinion he used the wing positions to introduce players into the team. Especially the younger players. He didn't trust them enough to play through the middle, and that's why he put them on the wing, to give them some game time in a position that isn't as crucial if they make mistakes. There was no way players like Fabregas, Ramsey, Van Persie would have ever got as much game time if he only used them in their actual position. All three of the above went on to prove themselves capable of playing in their actual positions. Others, like Walcott, never did.

I know, but imagine having actual wingers playing on the wing, I feel like it would've served us better.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It’s the same with AMN. Talented ball player but just not got the composure yet for central midfield. Wenger and Emery using his skills in lesser positions. Guendouzi on the other hand has enough composure to sink a ship.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This is absolutely spot on, why the f*ck can’t we have this level of analysis in the UK?

We just have Souness blaming everything on Pogba’s haircut.

Just hearing his voice again I got misty eyed. Someone who really understands the very fibre of the game from the thickest of roots up to the tiniest of branches.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
This is absolutely spot on, why the f*ck can’t we have this level of analysis in the UK?

We just have Souness blaming everything on Pogba’s haircut.

Miss him and his pearls of wisdom.

Some eye-opening stuff there, especially the little details: Marquinhos on Pogba and then Draxler dropping deeper to create chances

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

What a brilliant mind and a classy guy. Interestingly, he is mentioning Mourinho very matter of factly, w/out any animosity or anger.

Never forget Henry Winter said on Twitter he’d met a young man who said Wenger was the closest thing to a father figure he’d ever known in his life.

He’s all class, I’ve not met many people like him in my life time.

blaze_of_glory

I think one of the saddest things about the current situation and where things appear to be going is that we don't appear to be trying to build on Arsène's legacy at all.

The man was here for 22 years and transformed the club in a way that took it to unprecedented heights. Instilled a philosophy and style of play that was admired the world over and which attracted a ton of new fans, etc. Even when things didn't go so well we always had a recognizable identity. But instead of looking to continue and build on that, improving were improvements were needed, etc, we seem to be taking an entirely new path in terms of approach, style, etc. And it's really ugly so far imo, and I'm not convinced much real thought has been put into what we are trying to do or what is trying to be created here now.

Can't help worry the club is going to waste everything that was laid down over the past two decades. Build on the legacy, don't run blindly from it.

Top Bottom