• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I will get flack for this but I'm just going to say it.

3 league titles in 22 years going down as the greatest Arsenal manager ever makes me disappointed in our club and its history.

Shows you where we came from though doesn't it .

Gunners4life

Definitely Not RonaldoMadness
He told reporters following a 4-1 victory over the Hammers: “I was not tired. I believe that this club is respected all over the world, much more than in England. Our fans didn't give the image of unity I want at the club. That was hurtful.”

Ouch :( imagine he read some of the stuff about him not the constructive criticism but the personal attacks like what Arsenal Fan Tv say.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Shows you where we came from though doesn't it .

29_D336_B7_BF18_4604_BC04_75563_E9_E5_C8_E.jpg

Interesting.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
It shows me that high expectations from fans every season is grossly unwarranted, and that whilst our club is big it's not as big as we think it is.

No it shows you haven't got the sligesht of clue.

96-04 - we won 3 league titles against the most dominant team in the history of English football.

04-18 - you got the likes of Arabs and Russians taking over the league - all while we were working on a budget and paying off a stadium.

Context. Go look it up.

Gunners4life

Definitely Not RonaldoMadness
It shows me that high expectations from fans every season is grossly unwarranted, and that whilst our club is big it's not as big as we think it is.

Been saying it for years, Wenger anywhere else like at Bayern or Barcelona would have won the treble easily but he said it himself he turned down the world to stay at Arsenal.

c00lguy

No it shows you haven't got the sligesht of clue.

96-04 - we won 3 league titles against the most dominant team in the history of English football.

04-18 - you got the likes of Arabs and Russians taking over the league - all while we were working on a budget and paying off a stadium.

Context. Go look it up.

I'm not sure how that's supposed to prove me wrong. Fergie at ManU still won more premier league titles even during those first 8 years, and he won the champions league. Something which Wenger's never accomplished in 22 years at the helm of one of the biggest clubs in English football.
I don't mean to discredit Wenger, I'm just saying we should be more happy rather than disappointed in recent achievements, given that our clubs not as big and successful throughout its history in contrast to what the fans demand.

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
It's been a long while since I've posted on here but with such a pivotal moment on the horizon, I wanted to acknowledge, like others, the impact Wenger has made at Arsenal and in football overall.

As a 90's girl, Wenger is the only manager I've really known and I am grateful for all his achievements, but it is clear that the club needs to move forward without him.

This isn't commonly mentioned, but Arsenal was genuinely a big club before Wenger arrived, already had 10 titles and was ranked as the 2nd most successful club in english football.

Wenger is a legend but the club has a rich history and stood before him, and will continue to stand after him.

I appreciate Wenger alot, but if the fans expect better of our club now, then it's not unwarranted. Few clubs have matched Arsenal's stature in english football, and Wenger added his iconic legacy to a club that should always be aiming for the top, which they've achieved at least once in almost every decade stretching back to the 30's (very few clubs have done this).

Thank you Arsène for the imprint you have left on the generation of fans that you captured with your vision of football being an art, but we will surely continue to build on the foundations left behind by the departing manager, just as the club has done throughout time.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
It's been a long while since I've posted on here but with such a pivotal moment on the horizon, I wanted to acknowledge, like others, the impact Wenger has made at Arsenal and in football overall.

As a 90's girl, Wenger is the only manager I've really known and I am grateful for all his achievements, but it is clear that the club needs to move forward without him.

This isn't commonly mentioned, but Arsenal was genuinely a big club before Wenger arrived, already had 10 titles and was ranked as the 2nd most successful club in english football.

Wenger is a legend but the club has a rich history and stood before him, and will continue to stand after him.

I appreciate Wenger alot, but if the fans expect better of our club now, then it's not unwarranted. Few clubs have matched Arsenal's stature in english football, and Wenger added his iconic legacy to a club that should always be aiming for the top, which they've achieved at least once in almost every decade stretching back to the 30's (very few clubs have done this).

Thank you Arséne for the imprint you have left on the generation of fans that you captured with your vision of football being an art, but we will surely continue to build on the foundations left behind by the departing manager, just as the club has done throughout time.
Good to see you posting again. Recall you were a good poster. Hope we will be seeing you more around here.

Beast Incarnate

I will get flack for this but I'm just going to say it.

3 league titles in 22 years going down as the greatest Arsenal manager ever makes me disappointed in our club and its history.

What Wenger did for this club goes beyond achievements on the pitch.

He turned Arsenal into a global brand that has one of the highest turnovers in the world.

He's laid the foundations for this club to be something special. Shame he's not the one that could do it.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Absolute bollocks. The Sky money has benefited certain clubs (Arsenal, United) more than anyone else for almost two decades and the gap between bottom and top in terms of financial pull year on year is getting greater and greater. Arsenal of today are in a much better position than they ever could of been in the 80s, regardless of equivalent league finishes.

There is no reason for us not to be in the top or thereabouts every season because we are on a par with or superior financially to all but two teams in this league and even then they can't buy all the players.

Sorry bud, but having read two of your posts I would suggest you either give your head a wobble or take your 'disappointed in our history' and 'we are not as big as we think we are' nonsense back to glory glory.

c00lguy

@Özillionaire Did I strike a nerve?
When judging someone's legacy, accomplishments will always be judged first. At the end of the day Wenger has only won 3 league titles in 22 years yet he's being described as our best and most successful manager of all time. If we were in such a good position during his tenure, why didn't we win much more?
Go figure.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
1. 97/97 - Bould to Adams - "Would you believe it"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/D4UehS4PGUc
2. 99 - "KanU believe it hatrick vs. Chelsea"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/9eJlBsw_QcM
3. Arshavin winner vs. Barcelona "still Nasri...looks for Arshavinnnnnnnnnnn"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/9eJlBsw_QcM
Okay...maybe this is a Martin Tyler commentary in special Wenger Arsenal memories.

There are plenty...especially the 1st half of Wenger tenure...but I love these top 3 moments.
Interesting to see what others come up with.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

@Özillionaire Did I strike a nerve?
When judging someone's legacy, accomplishments will always be judged first. At the end of the day Wenger has only won 3 league titles in 22 years yet he's being described as our best and most successful manager of all time. If we were in such a good position during his tenure, why didn't we win much more?
Go figure.

Preaching to the converted that we should have won more. He is our most successful manager because Arsenal have won a title on average just over once every ten years (13 titles in 132 years) yet he won them at below that rate. That is a fact.

I was responding mostly to your idea that Arsenal shouldn't be expecting to be there or there abouts every year. I will try to break it down for you.

If Arsenal won the league in 1960, they couldn't suddenly outspend everyone. If they did it again in 1961, they still couldn't outspend everyone. Money was on an almost even playing field - everyone could realistically challenge.

Nowadays, this is not the case. Arsène has kept us in and around the top for almost 22 years in the most important era of football in this country - the Sky era where football finances ballooned. Arsenal benefited from this hugely and have done ever since by being one of the top clubs in the country. Whereas in the 1960s, our club position may have been subject to spikes because, again, the playing field was more level - these days, it would be utterly ridiculous to see Arsenal finishing 8th or below simply because of their financial capacities.

Realistically, there are only four teams in England who should have a chance of winning the title each year - United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea are a prime example that you cannot be top all the time, but you can reach the summit some of the time.

With our biggest weakness now gone in Wenger (his time had passed - but he DID put us in the esteemed position we are today) we can now proceed to try to be similar. Winning a title here and there with solid recruitment and tactics. We are The Arsenal - we have the pull.

If our history disappoints you or if our club isn't quite big enough for you - you are welcome to support a 'bigger club' in England. But believe me mate, you could cut off half your hand and still count them on your fingers.

c00lguy

@Özillionaire I'm not switching clubs you can **** off with that idea.

There are many fans out there who at the start of every season still have the expectation of us winning (or even merely challenging) for the title, when we all know that's delusional thinking. Even during Wenger's early reign, we were not as successful as we should have been.
Heck, all our rivals practically gave way for us to have our best chance of winning the title at one point yet we couldn't manage it, losing out to Leicester of all teams.
Should we be aiming to compete for the title in the future? - Yes
Should we be expecting to compete for the title in the present? - No

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
We've won a couple of league titles in rivals' stadiums, so as moments go, it's hard to trump those historically speaking.

Personally, the barcelona game was amazing for me.

I even got interviewed by the club about it for a piece celebrating the victory a couple of years after, so it's really special to me, seeing I've only ever managed to go to a sinlge Emirates Cup game.

Made me feel a part of the club, being quoted in the same article as Fabregas and Wenger .

KROENKE SUCKS

Preaching to the converted that we should have won more. He is our most successful manager because Arsenal have won a title on average just over once every ten years (13 titles in 132 years) yet he won them at below that rate. That is a fact.

I was responding mostly to your idea that Arsenal shouldn't be expecting to be there or there abouts every year. I will try to break it down for you.

If Arsenal won the league in 1960, they couldn't suddenly outspend everyone. If they did it again in 1961, they still couldn't outspend everyone. Money was on an almost even playing field - everyone could realistically challenge.

Nowadays, this is not the case. Arséne has kept us in and around the top for almost 22 years in the most important era of football in this country - the Sky era where football finances ballooned. Arsenal benefited from this hugely and have done ever since by being one of the top clubs in the country. Whereas in the 1960s, our club position may have been subject to spikes because, again, the playing field was more level - these days, it would be utterly ridiculous to see Arsenal finishing 8th or below simply because of their financial capacities.

Realistically, there are only four teams in England who should have a chance of winning the title each year - United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea are a prime example that you cannot be top all the time, but you can reach the summit some of the time.

With our biggest weakness now gone in Wenger (his time had passed - but he DID put us in the esteemed position we are today) we can now proceed to try to be similar. Winning a title here and there with solid recruitment and tactics. We are The Arsenal - we have the pull.

If our history disappoints you or if our club isn't quite big enough for you - you are welcome to support a 'bigger club' in England. But believe me mate, you could cut off half your hand and still count them on your fingers.

Wenger wasn't our biggest weakness, cheap Kroenke and his board were, which is why nothing is going to change.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
I don't blame our lack of success on Wenger. He performed miracles with the team, financial situation and inept board, between 2005-2013. I can only imagine Fergie doing as good a job during that period.

I am and still continue to be #WengerOut but not because I believe he's a terrible manager now...But I recognise that the team needs change and more importantly, with the ineptness of the board, we need the best manager and not just a great manager anymore...

On a sidenote, did you hear, apparently our transfer budget is only £50M (without sales) this summer? I'm sure the failure to buy an outfield player in 2015 was a Board decision, but Wenger took the flack for it.

**** the board and the owners. How can our transfer budget be only £50M? They are trying to blame the fact that they spent £100M on 2 strikers and handed a new contract to Özil. The problem is that the fanbase are not ****ing stupid and we know that they MADE a £20M profit from the transfer window because they made over £120M in player sales and saved a TON on the wage budget. They are taking us for mugs, pretending we're poor, when we made a nice profit. Those ****ers.

Top Bottom