• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
When you think about it, Wenger only underperformed by the standards he set himself.

In the early and mid 90s, we were a team that would scrap a top 8 position and maybe pick up the odd domestic cup here and there. We were in a similar position we are today. I don't remember a fans revolt and calling for George Graham's head. We were pretty dull to watch back then as well.

Wenger was a victim of his own success. Due to all that early success he made our fans think they had some divine right to win everything every season, despite not having the spending power of other clubs. He set the bar very high in those early years.

I think 10-20 years from now, some fans will be embarrassed in the way they heckled Wenger. At least for most it won't be on YouTube viewed thousands of times like DT, Claude etc.
I agree with this sentiment. But I also want to point out the club angled to set high targets publicly with fans...

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...le-with-Arsenal-again-inside-three-years.html

Makes this very tragic actually. I think he truly believed he could.
That's the word I would use too. His belief put himself and us fans through a lot of heartache.

Anyone sees our players (Auba, Mkhi, Laca, Özil, Ramsey or Cesc/Nasri/RvP/Eduardo) would logically declare we will win the league in a season or two.

He speaks like a regular deluded fan, but he shouldn't have led us on that path. We have horribly unbalanced teams, and you cannot fluke a league title with that.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Well that's exactly my point. Only 3 titles and no champions league to show for it all is abysmal, even if one of them was unbeaten.
Throughout our history we've never had the kind of sustained periods of success such as Liverpool and Manu have had in the past.

You’d trade the invincible season for a CL? Really?

AL the gooner

Questionable film taste
Only 3 league titles in 20 years?
Outside the the teams with unlimited funds, only Leciester have won the premier league, just the one time. City United Chelsea and Blackburn bought it, Wenger won it , 3 times....and then you throw in 7 fa cups , and people say ..."ONLY".
Maybe if youre on play station thats a bad record. In the real world, Id love 10 trophies in the next 20 years. If wenger was managing one of the 3 rich clubs here, or Real Barca Bayern or PSG, hed have over 10 titles and a few CLs. He didnt hold us back, the actual reality is that at his best, we held him back, now hes a busted flush and its right that he goes, but our unambitious club is at fault for turning wenger into a failure, even more so than he is.
Lets see what happens now.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...le-with-Arsenal-again-inside-three-years.html

Makes this very tragic actually. I think he truly believed he could.

He wasn’t wrong tbh, would’ve happened if it weren’t for the Cech only summer.

Crazy to think even in the following January when we were three points off first, with a game in hand, we still only signed Elneny. Fast forward to January 2018 we bought in Aubameyang for over 50M. Yet can only play in dead league games.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
AND Wenger. Remember him constantly yapping about the league.

With all due respect to him, we haven't won the league in a decade.
yapping?

are people in an arsenal fans forum talking about Wenger as if he were a mongrel dog?

yapping indeed.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
i think i posted this in the wrong thread earlier. Anyway, reposting.

I am a foreign fan, from India, who with the advent of cable tv, started to watch british football on television in the 90's while i worked in a call centre job late at night. After finishing my shift around midnight, I would get home, and would have no social life, but just the television, and it was about 8pm UK time, so I would have some amazing football to watch. I saw Thierry Henry run one night on a small 14 inch tv and I was hooked. Arsenal became my club.

I came here to say, that Arséne Wenger gave us fans something to be proud of. For the past decade, rival club supporters and then some of our supporters, started to taunt us in earnest. On the field we were being kicked off and the referees and moneymen were bullying us. Off the field, we were bullied by those who did so, just because they could.

I have watched every press conference of Arséne for over 10 yrs and seen every match if not live on tv, then a recording.It became something that reminded me of those days, when I was struggling to make a career, alone in a big city, living in a crummy little room and working insane hours. Arsenal was a living presence in my life, something to look forward to, a tribe to belong to, values to adhere to.

I do not doubt for a minute, that Arséne deviated from those values. A lot of the magic came from his behind the scenes work, and brick by brick, a value system, style and ethos was built up. Of course there were foundations, and a glorious past, not denying that.

However, from head to toe, from the laces on the boots to the light on top of the stadium, Arséne transformed the club. He made it future ready and fully equipped for the current age. This was one of the most amazing sustained professional jobs executed by any professional. Even the Taj Mahal was built in 20 yrs.

Please do not abuse him. Please do not taunt him. Please do not mock him. If we do that, we lose our values, and the whole edifice will come crumbling down.

Sorry. I am very emotional. I really liked hearing him talk intelligently and he was a big role model. I will post a few things on and off till I remain emotional. Please bear with me. Probably when Arséne leaves, I will shut up too. Its a little too painful seeing the gloating in Le Grove and elsewhere.

avalonhse

You're not getting me. I didn't say he isn't. He is but the accomplishments are still abysmal and the fact that he is our greatest ever manager despite the lack of accomplishments over 22 years (or even over his first 10 years) is what speaks negatively of the clubs' history.
We aim to be the best but 2 clubs in the league have had it much better. Whilst many would love to be in our position, our club's not big enough and has never been big enough for fans to demand a title challenge every single year as many do. Why is my opinion so unreasonable? I'm simply stating the obvious.

1. You are right when saying that our club's "not big enough to demand a title challenge every single year as many do".

2. You are wrong when saying that our club is "never been" and Wenger's accomplishments is abysmal. Because you only count the titles and do not think about the circumstances.

The lack of titles mainly due to the building of stadiums and the money flooding from Arab and Russian. That the fate of history, the club and Wenger hold no fault in that fate. (maybe the Board is responsible for it)

If Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour bought Arsenal, the club would be the most achieved club last 20 years, no matter whether Wenger is still here or whatever Arsenal history was before Wenger.

Money talks and Wenger is not a magician.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
i think i posted this in the wrong thread earlier. Anyway, reposting.

I am a foreign fan, from India, who with the advent of cable tv, started to watch british football on television in the 90's while i worked in a call centre job late at night. After finishing my shift around midnight, I would get home, and would have no social life, but just the television, and it was about 8pm UK time, so I would have some amazing football to watch. I saw Thierry Henry run one night on a small 14 inch tv and I was hooked. Arsenal became my club.

I came here to say, that Arséne Wenger gave us fans something to be proud of. For the past decade, rival club supporters and then some of our supporters, started to taunt us in earnest. On the field we were being kicked off and the referees and moneymen were bullying us. Off the field, we were bullied by those who did so, just because they could.

I have watched every press conference of Arséne for over 10 yrs and seen every match if not live on tv, then a recording.It became something that reminded me of those days, when I was struggling to make a career, alone in a big city, living in a crummy little room and working insane hours. Arsenal was a living presence in my life, something to look forward to, a tribe to belong to, values to adhere to.

I do not doubt for a minute, that Arséne deviated from those values. A lot of the magic came from his behind the scenes work, and brick by brick, a value system, style and ethos was built up. Of course there were foundations, and a glorious past, not denying that.

However, from head to toe, from the laces on the boots to the light on top of the stadium, Arséne transformed the club. He made it future ready and fully equipped for the current age. This was one of the most amazing sustained professional jobs executed by any professional. Even the Taj Mahal was built in 20 yrs.

Please do not abuse him. Please do not taunt him. Please do not mock him. If we do that, we lose our values, and the whole edifice will come crumbling down.

Sorry. I am very emotional. I really liked hearing him talk intelligently and he was a big role model. I will post a few things on and off till I remain emotional. Please bear with me. Probably when Arséne leaves, I will shut up too. Its a little too painful seeing the gloating in Le Grove and elsewhere.

It's been really emotional for me too. You're not alone.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Nice Wenger pearl in there:
“I am convinced with two or three additions this team has the quality to fight for the championship. You will not be short of candidates. Green outside, nice trees, good grass. Fantastic. No pollution. Until the press conference starts.”

:lol:

Nenad

If I had a chance to say something to Wenger right now, I would try to explain how goals like these made me happy like a little kid…

Arsenal_1.gif

Arsenal_2.gif

Arsenal_3.gif

Nice Wenger pearl in there:
“I am convinced with two or three additions this team has the quality to fight for the championship. You will not be short of candidates. Green outside, nice trees, good grass. Fantastic. No pollution. Until the press conference starts.”

:lol:

Unless it is LVG... How do you replace something like this!

What a master!

Latest posts+

Top Bottom